Author Topic: Fuel pump replacement  (Read 1394 times)

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Fuel pump replacement
« on: January 16, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »
Fuel pump went out in my truck Saturday. It took me almost 20 minutes to replace and cost just over $23.
Kind of a pain in the butt to change it out. I had to actually climb up into the engine compartment to reach it.
Something to be said about the older trucks =D
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Fuel pump replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
Let me guess, hardest part was keeping the rod that drives the pump off the camshaft in place.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
Fuel pump went out in my truck Saturday. It took me almost 20 minutes to replace and cost just over $23.
Kind of a pain in the butt to change it out. I had to actually climb up into the engine compartment to reach it.
Something to be said about the older trucks =D

Had to do one on my '79 Ford back when. Took about the same amount of time. On the pickup I have now?  :facepalm: I never run either tank less than half full so if a fuel pump goes out, it will go to the shop. Why the pickup manufacturers don't build an access hatch into the bed expressly for this purpose is beyond me.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
Why the pickup manufacturers don't build an access hatch into the bed expressly for this purpose is beyond me.
Probably something to do with cost... I've only had a couple of cars with FP hatches - my Camry and my Volvo.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 10:17:19 AM »
I remember when fuel pumps were cheap and somewhat easy to access.

A year ago I had the fuel pump on my '91 Saturn go when I was 60 miles from nowhere. It cost $60 to tow it to the nearest big town (Huntsville). The pump cost $200, and the strainer and a gas tank strap cost another $50. Labor was $180, for a total of $430. My wife was at work and I had no way to get home, so I had to take a cab. That cost $90, for a grand total of $520 for that adventure.

$23 for a fuel pump? I paid that much for the steel strap for the gas tank.  ;/

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 10:32:12 AM »
I've never done a fuel pump.  I do think that EFI is an improvement over carburetor driven things, though.  Easily starts at any temperature, can't flood it, and doesn't require rebuilding if it sits for a few months.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »
Why the pickup manufacturers don't build an access hatch into the bed expressly for this purpose is beyond me.

There's no reason for one.  On my F-150 six bolts, two electical connectors, and the fuel filler neck are all that hold the bed in place.  I can, and have, removed it in under 20 minutes using only an engine hoist (three good buddies plied with beer will also work).  Full access to the tank.  Beats the heck out of having to reach through a an access port to work on it.  Plus, the lack of a big gaping hole with lots of little holes around it means the bed floor is much stronger and it gives fewer places for rust to begin.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 12:07:16 PM »
There's no reason for one.  On my F-150 six bolts, two electical connectors, and the fuel filler neck are all that hold the bed in place.  I can, and have, removed it in under 20 minutes using only an engine hoist (three good buddies plied with beer will also work).  Full access to the tank.  Beats the heck out of having to reach through a an access port to work on it.  Plus, the lack of a big gaping hole with lots of little holes around it means the bed floor is much stronger and it gives fewer places for rust to begin.

Brad

Works great, unless you have a Suburban or the Ford whatever it is.

Or - a service body or fire fighting apparatus in place of the factory bed.  Those tend to be a little heavier.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 03:15:15 PM »
Works great, unless you have a Suburban or the Ford whatever it is.

Or - a service body or fire fighting apparatus in place of the factory bed.  Those tend to be a little heavier.

True, then you need a forklift, or a bunch of frat boys and the promise of free beer.  :laugh:

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 04:01:12 PM »
On my fiesta-

Press the two clips securing the rear seat cushion, push back and up off the bracket, lift out the cushion. Then just remove the rubber cover, undo electrical connection fuel line and locking nut and lifts right out.

Theoretically at least
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.