Author Topic: Finding a dentist  (Read 1945 times)

zahc

• friend
Finding a dentist
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
Does anyone know any legitimate/useful rating websites for dentists?

I don't have a dentist now. I went to one a few months ago for a checkup, and found out I have multiple cavities that need filled. The guy was terrible in every way so I'm not going back to him. But now that I know that I need a few cavities filled--knowing this, I would like to choose a dentist that can perform the work well so that I don't need it redone in 5 years, and who will give me a reasonable total bill. There are dozens of dentists within 10 miles of where I live. How do you find one?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Finding a dentist
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
Recommendations from family and/or friends.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:48:26 PM »
I be hesitant to use anything online for something as important as a dentist or doctor. If you have a doctor you trust, ask if there's a dentist he'd recommend. If not, ask people you know for recommendations.

I've had some excellent dentists, and some real butchers. One I went to for the first time came into the room with blood all over his lab coat.  I needed a cavity drilled and filled. He started to put the drill in my mouth, and I asked if he was going to give me a shot of novocaine. He said, "what are you, some kind of sissy?" I left immediately.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
Since I am unsocial as well as geographically transplanted, I don't have any local family to ask. All my local friends are young and have not had semi-serious work done; they just use their dentist for annual checkups and cleanings. Those that have had serious work done, do not have positive things to say.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 04:42:57 PM »
Follow the screams.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 05:21:54 PM »
avoid the screams.

Fify

What about coworkers?
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 05:25:45 PM »
Follow the screams.
That might lead him to brothel.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 05:28:47 PM »
That might lead him to brothel.

Or his local dominatrix
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 07:28:34 PM »
Poll co-workers.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:18 PM »
Ask around
If you have dental insurance, check the website. Some have ratings.
If you have a regular doctor and like them, ask for a referral.
Online, I'm usually hesitant for such things. But you can always try yelp.com...just take it with a grain of salt.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 08:15:14 PM »
This doesn't have anything to do with your request for a source of metal right?
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Lee

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2012, 11:54:56 AM »
Recommendations from family and/or friends

That. 
And the good ones will likely be booked up long in advance.  I'm pretty leery of Docs and Dentists that advertise.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2012, 12:52:18 PM »
That. 
And the good ones will likely be booked up long in advance. 

Depending on where you live, this may be true of the doctors, but not of the dentists.

A lot of the primary care physicians have full practices and cannot take any more.  Usually, there is a much larger supply of dentists than doctors in many areas, so even the good dentists are likely looking for new patients.  If you have insurance, that is. A lot of dentists have had patients leave due to the economy, losing their jobs and losing their dental insurance.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 09:52:36 PM »
Depending on where you live, this may be true of the doctors, but not of the dentists.

My dentist of 20+ years has expanded in the past three years from just himself and one hygienist, to three dentists and about six hygienists.  It still takes a month or more to schedule a non-emergency appt.  I can't even recall the last time I saw him at a check up. On a positive note, everyone there is really good; but here's a reason for that - he requires it . 
So yeah, there is probably no shortage - just a shortage of really good ones that I trust.  I'm in a metro area of 1.5 million.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:11 PM »
He started to put the drill in my mouth, and I asked if he was going to give me a shot of novocaine. He said, "what are you, some kind of sissy?" I left immediately.

I've had three fillings as an adult.  Never had any Novocaine for any of them.  Dentist said they weren't deep and that having a numb face for half the day would be worse than the pain.  I think he was right.

Then again people have left the guy because he seems like a bit of a sadist.  My own brother for instance.  He actually bit the guy a couple of times for inflicting pain on him.

In light of that I have a warning sign.  This guy asked how you were about pain on his history sheet.  One of the options was "Bring it on!" if I remember correctly. You might want to avoid guys like that.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 10:34:47 PM »
So, I finally went to a dentist that a couple people from work recommended.

Background: I have good teeth and have never had a cavity. A year ago I when I started my job I decided to opt into the cheapo dental insurance that pays for 2 preventive visits per year, and so I went to have a checkup/teeth cleaning. The problem with cheapo insurance I had was that nobody accepted it, so I found a nobody dentist and he said I had some 6-8 cavities. Not unbelievable because I hadn't been to the dentist in 5 years or so at that point. He showed me in a mirror how he could stick a pick into the side of my tooth.

I didn't like the nobody dentist (name is Faiz btw, Plano TX) and I was looking at a $1000 or more bill for that work, so I waited until I could change my insurance benefits and switched to the most expensive dental insurance, figuring I would get my money's worth this year and get my teeth all fixed up.

So I finally went to a different dentist (Dr Vale, Richardson TX) that had high reviews at work, and they did full Xrays and a cleaning, and then the dentist came in and looked at my teeth and mentioned that they could probably polish my front teeth if the discoloration bothered me (it doesn't). And then he said "You have great teeth. See you in 6mo for your next cleaning".

I was like, "wait, what about all my cavities" and he was like "what cavities?" and I was like "some other dentist said I had cavities, he even showed me how I had this giant cavity in by back tooth" and the new dentist was like "you have natural grooves in your back molars. If you were 8 years old I would recommend filling them for prevention, but I don't see any active decay there. You have a different small spot where there might be a cavity in the future (see it on the xray here) so we will label it as a "watch", but if you start flossing more it will probably be fine. I had a similar spot when I started dental school 20 years ago and it's never got worse and I've never filled it."

So, yeah. Choose your dentist wisely. If you live in DFW I think Dr. Vale is a pretty good guy. His office is also full of very cute and nice assistants.
--Tallpine

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 11:40:11 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 11:59:08 PM »
Zach, warn other people about that quack. If he'd screw you on the exam, what might have happened if he'd done some work?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 12:12:46 AM »
zahc:

Glad you found a good guy.

My wife has gone to the same dentist in Richardson for many years and got me to switch (glad I did).  So, I can also provide a decent dentist suggestion if anyone has a hankerin for dental work 'round here. 
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton