Author Topic: Uh oh....my daughter  (Read 4048 times)

Stetson

• friends
Uh oh....my daughter
« on: January 19, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
Now I'm kind of worried.  My daughter has learned how to pick the lock on her dress up trunk.
Granted, it's a cheap lock, but it does have a key.  She's 3, almost 4.

"Punkin, why did you do that?"
"Daddy, I couldn't find the key and I saw this on T.V."
"Ummm, okay.  Don't try anymore locks.  I have some things locked up for a reason."
"Okay Daddy!"

Then she took off to play with her dolls.

Female Revdisk?
 =|

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Uh oh....my daughter
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
Female Revdisk?
 =|

Normally I start teaching the girls to pick pin tumbler locks at 6 or 7. Can make an exception. Just my opinion, but discouraging innovative thought doesn't pay off in the long run. Most "locks" are built on BS and people being too lazy to understand them. Locks haven't changed much in theory since ancient Egypt, around 2000 BC. Materials are just different.

If you buy decent locks, you have nothing to fear.  Right?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 10:43:47 PM »
If Rev had not posted I would have wondered if he was already in teacher mode there.

You seem to have a bright girl. Just try to nudge her down the right path. The choice of your future nursing home may depend on it.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:18:20 AM »

You seem to have a bright girl. Just try to nudge her down the right path.

Agreed.....you should buy her a chemistry set.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 07:28:37 AM »
When our kids do something like that, we don't admonish them and then think of ways to encourage such activity while better securing/whatever the items we had thought unobtainable.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 08:42:01 AM »
When our kids do something like that, we don't admonish them and then think of ways to encourage such activity while better securing/whatever the items we had thought unobtainable.
This.

Although I've never successfully picked a lock in my life, my design/engineering/fabrication side was picked up on early by my parents and encouraged.  I played with Legos until I was about seven, next was scrap wood at 8-9, then metal.  I built my first actual R/C plane from scratch when I was 12 with no plans and a pile of balsa, and yes, it actually flew well.  =)
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »
If Rev had not posted I would have wondered if he was already in teacher mode there.

I am.  Not Stetson's daughter, as far as I know. But a dozen others, sure.

Have very high hopes for the lot of them. Some look to be very promising.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 11:08:32 AM »
"Locks are for honest people" my dad taught me. When I was a kid, I took apart EVERYTHING! Most of it I was even able to put back together and make work again.... I don't remember when I figured out locks but to say it was around Elementary School as my favorite "trick" was to find all the bicycles at school with the same color and type chain locks, pick and swap them around to different bikes!

I started out with the in-line dial number bike locks. Once I figured out how to pick a Master Pad Lock with a Paper Clip, I could open almost any key lock in NO time. Good thing I wasn't a theif...
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 11:23:23 AM »
She and I already play with an electronics kit I picked up at a garage sale.  Something like this - http://www.amazon.com/American-Science-Surplus-300-in-1-Electronic/dp/B000IXKR2U

She is learning how to sew from my mother in law, work on diesel engines form my father in law and play hard and have LOTS of fun with me.  Her imagination is amazing.  Her pre-school teachers are trying to teach her latin and she is learning spanish from some kids in her class.  She's like a sponge right now so I'm letting her learn or try anything she wants.  She's a pretty good shot with her BB and pellet guns too.

I'm not stopping her from learning to pick locks specifically, I just want her to not play with the locks on my gun cases.  They are pretty sturdy but shes scary smart.  I called and asked her great grandmother if she had some old ones, and she did, so she went by and dropped them off while I was working.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »
Mr. Stetson, this is Principal ___________, I need you to come up to the school, your daughter has switched out all the locks on the hall lockers and won't switch them back.

Plus all of the teachers and admin have been locked out of their rooms.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 01:58:25 PM »
Mr. Stetson, this is Principal ___________, I need you to come up to the school, your daughter has switched out all the locks on the hall lockers and won't switch them back.

=D  That'd be a proud papa....  :P
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25:59 PM »

"Why are you calling me?  I can't even get my car door open without the remote fob.  See what she wants to put stuff back like it was - it's probably something like no more liver&onions for lunch three times a week."

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »

I think I would buy her a pony for doing that.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2012, 08:02:04 PM »
Good to hear she's got an inquizitive, mechanical mind.

I wouldn't be too worried.  The kind of people that have the intelligence, knowledge and presence of mind to use lock picks are rarely criminals.  And of those that are, they don't get caught.   =D

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
I think I would buy her a pony for doing that.

Dang it! If only I had known picking locks would have gotten me a pony!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Dang it! If only I had known picking locks would have gotten me a pony!

Via multiple different routes, even!

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:08 PM »
I'm not stopping her from learning to pick locks specifically, I just want her to not play with the locks on my gun cases.  They are pretty sturdy but shes scary smart.  I called and asked her great grandmother if she had some old ones, and she did, so she went by and dropped them off while I was working.

I'll happily ship her a set of lockpicks, practice locks and books if ya'd like. 

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2012, 09:28:43 PM »
Via multiple different routes, even!

I wonder if the pony window is closed?

Is 28 too old to get a pony from parental units by being cute and picking locks?

Cause I would learn for a pony...
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:52 PM »
at 28 its a sugardaddy you get a pony from
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2012, 10:22:17 PM »
I'd 2nd RevDisk's suggestion to get her some practice locks.  Keep her busy with them, and he can probably tell you which ones will actually present a real challenge to her.

You probably don't want her seeking out challenges.  That could end badly.

Heck, might want to try your hand at it too and see how good your gun locks are.  I'm not exactly a skilled lock picker but most cheap gun locks I can get through in 10-20 seconds.  They're some of the easiest out there.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »
I'll happily ship her a set of lockpicks, practice locks and books if ya'd like. 

She can't read yet, we are working on it though.  You can ship her whatever you want.  I've unfolded 4 sizes of paperclips and made a holder out of folder paper and tape for her.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »

Gun locks range from bad to impressively bad.  Some I can pick faster than most folks can open with a key.

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »
These are not locking cases, they just have the holes for a lock hasp.  I have some old locks that I used on my lockers or seabag.  I've moved the cases to a place she can't reach/climb to or really even see.  When she can get through the luggage lock I left out for her, then I will let her try the ones her great grandmother dropped off (masterlocks are most of the type)