Author Topic: Joe Pa dies  (Read 3633 times)

Lee

• friend
Joe Pa dies
« on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:30 AM »
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/22/us/pennsylvania-obit-paterno/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Regardless of the circumstances...it's a damn shame he went out this way.  RIP.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Joe Pa dies
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 11:25:17 AM »
After he got fired I figured he'd live no more than 2 years.  His whole life was Penn State football, and that was ripped out from under him (deservedly so, but still).  Thought he'd make it longer than 3 months though.
Formerly sumpnz

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 11:26:24 AM »
Hate it that is life's work is ruined with the scandal.  RIP JoePa.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
Good riddance.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 02:11:16 PM »
Hate it that is life's work is ruined with the scandal.  RIP JoePa.

Isn't that his fault? Not that his life's work amounts to anything terribly important, of course.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »

Requiescat in pace.

Fistful, a lot of people view his life's work as more important than any scientist, artist, author, etc. I was honestly shocked, though I shouldn't be, at how many folks decried his dismissal as being unfair instead of anger at his failure to do the right thing. He's dead now, so I suppose it is moot. Hopefully he is at peace.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2012, 04:19:52 PM »
Isn't that his fault? Not that his life's work amounts to anything terribly important, of course.

I don't think so. He properly forwarded the report he received from his graduate assistant coach to not one but TWO superiors, both of whose jobs it was to deal with such things. Joe's job was to coach the football team. Paterno himself said just a few days ago that, in hindsight, he wished he had done more -- but the fact remains that he did what he was supposed to do. I don't think it's fair to blame him because TWO superiors didn't do THEIR jobs.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Lee

• friend
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »
Yeah...maybe the Science Dept can make up the difference with an annual science fair....or bake sale.

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/mc-penn-state-joe-paterno-column-kline-20120122,0,425957.column
JoePa's support of academics and the success of his team combined to make Penn State a desirable place for students — not just athletes. Penn State's enrollment has exploded over the years to 85,000, including those at its satellite campuses. Some years, 70,000 or more high school seniors apply for the 7,000 or so freshman-class openings at Penn State's University Park campus.

Penn State has become a strong academic institution — not just a strong football program — in large part because of Joe Paterno. For example:

•Since 1966, when Paterno became head coach, Penn State's endowment has grown from practically nothing to $1.67 billion as of 2007.

•Paterno's fund-raising efforts, including campaigns using his name, have resulted in about $2 billion for Penn State.

•The university has added a law school and medical school since 1996.

•The University Park campus has nearly doubled in size since 1966.

•JoePa even donated to charity some of his proceeds from merchandise sold with his image.

•He probably was the most underpaid coach, relatively speaking, in the history of big-time college football, last fall making less than all but one other coach in the Big Ten Conference.

•He won the National Heritage Award of the Anti-Defamation League for his role as humanitarian and philanthropist.

•Paterno was named Sportsman of the Year by Sports Illustrated, an honor for sportsmanship as well as for achievement.

•He has produced 74 Academic All-Americans, and Penn State football consistently is a national leader in the percentage of its players who graduate — and that includes high graduation rates for minorities, too.

•He measured the success of his teams not in wins and losses, but how those players later influenced society as teachers and surgeons and engineers and leaders.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
I don't think so. He properly forwarded the report he received from his graduate assistant coach to not one but TWO superiors, both of whose jobs it was to deal with such things. Joe's job was to coach the football team. Paterno himself said just a few days ago that, in hindsight, he wished he had done more -- but the fact remains that he did what he was supposed to do. I don't think it's fair to blame him because TWO superiors didn't do THEIR jobs.

Call me funny, but if one of my subordinates is allegedly molesting children using my organization as cover and opportunity, I'd make DAMN sure it was fully investigated regardless of the laws in question. Mr Paterno did the legal minimum. Which is fine, legally. Aside from the moral aspects, you'd think Mr Paterno would want to be more protective of both his own reputation as well as his institution. You could argue that Joe's job was managing the football team, and he failed his duties by failing to appropriately manage his personnel.

I've run into this issue doing information security work. I don't touch on specifics for obvious legal reasons, but we had an IT worker with heightened access that may have been a pedophile. He has access to the computers and all email. Certain parts of the organization had a high percentage of combat veterans, now married with kids. I made the point to HR that it would reflect badly on the company if the person used company resources to do bad things, and it would reflect even worse if the gentleman in question had an "accident" while in employment. Which was extremely credible. Thankfully, the guy was thoroughly incompetent and a poor worker anyways.

Personnel issues like this are part of the job when you're a senior manager. You have a duty to do your job, look out for the organization as a whole, and keep tabs on your personnel. You do this because you are paid to do so, and also to protect your own reputation and future career.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2012, 05:01:52 PM »
I hope he rests in peace.  His life story contains some important lessons. 

I am not one to grave dance, but I did chuckle when I read the Onion headline:

"Joe Paterno Dies In Hospital; Doctors Promise To Tell Their Superiors First Thing Tomorrow" 

Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
I hope he rests in peace.  His life story contains some important lessons. 

I am not one to grave dance, but I did chuckle when I read the Onion headline:

"Joe Paterno Dies In Hospital; Doctors Promise To Tell Their Superiors First Thing Tomorrow" 

plus 1

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2012, 05:51:38 PM »
I'm with red headed stranger in that I'm not one to grave dance...

But I'm also right there with Rev in that if you know one of your subordinates is doing what has been alleged, then for damn sure you don't just go to your boss and say "hey, so and so is diddlin' little boys in the shower"...  You call two of your biggest linebackers to sit with him and make sure his butt doesn't even remotely think about getting out of the chair he's sitting in and get on the horn to the cops.  Immediately.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2012, 05:55:43 PM »
And he kept the guy on his staff.  :facepalm:

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2012, 06:00:08 PM »
the right thing is sometimes more than the legal minimum
collegiate academics often are secondary to athletics. thats a shame and only happens with everyones cooperation or at least silence
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
I'm with red headed stranger in that I'm not one to grave dance...

But I'm also right there with Rev in that if you know one of your subordinates is doing what has been alleged, then for damn sure you don't just go to your boss and say "hey, so and so is diddlin' little boys in the shower"...  You call two of your biggest linebackers to sit with him and make sure his butt doesn't even remotely think about getting out of the chair he's sitting in and get on the horn to the cops.  Immediately.

This

It's insane that our blind love of sports in this country gets us to say things like "Well, when he found out about all the KID RAPING that was going on, he... you know... notified his boss, or something."

Insane
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Lee

• friend
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2012, 06:05:20 PM »
Oddly...NO ONE went to the police, including victims and parents.  At this point everything is still in the "alleged" category.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2012, 06:07:45 PM »
well, so far, the accused has admitted to "harmless showering" with young boys who were not his own.

Sure, we're still in "alleged" territory. But I think we're far enough in "alleged" territory to where I can see the skyline of "child raping shitbrick" in the distance...
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2012, 06:08:21 PM »
As head coach, he is absolutely responsible for the actions of those who work for him.
He also had the responsibility to follow up on the report about Jerry to ensure that it was addressed.
Since Jerry was still around, it was a reasonable assumption that nothing was done to him.
He should have followed up, period.
His reputation is ruined, and he is rightly branded as allowing child molestation to take place by a subordinate.
No amount of past work or fundraising will diminish such an egregious mistake.
His only legacy is allowing children to be molested. The world is much better without him.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

• friends
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2012, 06:37:21 PM »
Oddly...NO ONE went to the police, including victims and parents.  At this point everything is still in the "alleged" category.

one of the parents did  and zip happened  there was some tie between the ca and the college or second mile. lots of ties do many in the legal proffesion as well as judiciary
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2012, 10:36:06 PM »
And he kept the guy on his staff.  :facepalm:

And, once again, you display a remarkable ability to not know what the *expletive deleted*ck you're talking about.

Jerry Sandusky was NOT on Joe Paterno's staff in 2002 when the abuse allegations were first brought to Paterno's attention.

Sandusky RETIRED IN 1999 after he was told that he would not become head coach when Paterno retired. Sandusky had no coaching duties, and he was NOT a member of Paterno's staff.

At that point, Sandusky was a coach emeritus. The athletic director provided him with access to Penn State facilities -- Paterno had little to no say over that arrangement.

No, Paterno didn't do enough to counter this incident when it was brought to his attention. That's on him, and always will be.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

• friends
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 10:39:00 PM »
why did they let him keep an office there so long?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:48 PM »

Ask Ray Gricar

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:50 PM »
And, once again, you display a remarkable ability to not know what the *expletive deleted* you're talking about.

Yeah, I don't know the details of a college sports program on the other end of the country, sorry. Thanks for the info.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
why did they let him keep an office there so long?

That's a question for the athletic director, who would be responsible for that policy.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2012, 11:08:26 PM »
Yeah, I don't know the details of a college sports program on the other end of the country, sorry. Thanks for the info.

And yet, that admitted lack of knowledge didn't stop you from expressing your "crocodile rage" and commenting as if you did, did it?