Author Topic: Stupid Pillows  (Read 860 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Stupid Pillows
« on: January 29, 2012, 09:39:36 PM »
Washed a couple of pillows tonight in the washing machine as I have done many times in the past.  Thought the washer was taking too long and checked it, it smelled burnt and was just buzzing.  One pillow ended up catching on something and one corner of it came apart in the washer.  I unplugged it and took the washer apart and the pump was REALLY hot.  The inside of the washer outside of the drum had a bunch of fill in it.  The fill clogged up the drain line and killed the drain pump as well. 

I am really lucky I didn't end up with a fire.  New pump is on order and I am verifying all the lines are clean.  It is a 10yo GE cheap top loader.

BridgeRunner

• friend
Re: Stupid Pillows
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »
Fun times.  My mom's dryer started burning a couple days ago--another close call wrt house-fire potential. That was due to realizing the dryer vent was mostly blocked by debris and removing the debris, but not taking apart the dryer to clean out all the lint that got trapped in there when the airflow was significantly reduced.  Their was burning, but fortunately just inside the unit and not inside the hose.  My dad wanted to call a repairman.  I was of the opinion that after an appliance gets toasted, it's pretty well toast.  Yep, their new dryer is being delivered tomorrow...

I'm pretty convinced that top-loading washers are just a bad idea.  Snags, rips, wear stuff out stupidly fast.  Since I started saving up to buy expensive workout clothes, I've developed an appreciation for how quickly washing wears stuff out, and it's mostly due to the damage inflicted by the top-loader. 

I'm without laundry machines at the moment, and keeping my eyes peeled for a front loader or HE top loader for a reasonable price.  Just really don't want to see more stuff ruined or worn out too fast again. 

But I also don't wash pillows.  Partly for that reason.  Zip-on quilted cover under the pillowcase keeps 'em in good shape without washing, and they always get ruined in the wash, even when they down try to burn down the house.

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 11:32:13 AM »
Coin-op laundries.

Monster front loaders wash'em better, rinse'em better.  Monster dryers dry'em faster.

Some one else does the repairs.
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
. . . I'm pretty convinced that top-loading washers are just a bad idea.  . . .
My top-loading washer is ~15 years old now and still going strong . . . and it hasn't eaten any clothing yet, not even socks.  ;)

For some discussion on the merits of top loading vs. front loading designs, Design News magazine has a number of blog entries in their Made By Monkeys section:  http://www.designnews.com/author.asp?section_id=1367&doc_id=236204

. . . the dryer vent was mostly blocked by debris  . . .

In terms of cleaning dryer vents . . . mine is routed up an inside wall into the attic, where it makes a pair of 90 degree bends before exhausting out a roof vent. Poor design practice for air flow though it works well enough, but lint DOES accumulate - and an extension vent brush will not make the 90 degree bend.

So . . . how about a vacuum? Regular household vac or even a shop vac doesn't suck enough, but my Toro electric leaf blower does. So I made a little adapter out of a small coffee can to bridge the gap between the wall vent and the leaf blower, exhausted the leaf blower into a pillow case, and had at it.

The sheer volume of lint it pulled out of the vent was eye-opening.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain