Author Topic: Happy Groundhog Day!  (Read 4352 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Happy Groundhog Day!
« on: February 02, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/228088/movie-all-time/jonah-goldberg?pg=1

Here’s a line you’ll either recognize or you won’t: “This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather.” If you don’t recognize this little gem, you’ve either never seen Groundhog Day or you’re not a fan of what is, in my opinion, one of the best films of the last 40 years. As the day of the groundhog again approaches, it seems only fitting to celebrate what will almost undoubtedly join It’s a Wonderful Life in the pantheon of America’s most uplifting, morally serious, enjoyable, and timeless movies.

"If this were a French film dealing with the same themes, it would be in black and white, the sex would be constant and depraved, and it would end in cold death."

If it were an Igmar Bergman film, it would look like the French film above.

Happy Groundhog Day!
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: Happy Groundhog Day!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 09:12:08 AM »
Hell it has been Groundhog Day for me since July 5th.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
Did you want to talk about the weather or just chit-chat ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 09:18:55 AM »
One of my favorite movies. My wife and I will be watching it tonight.

My favorite line:

Phil: What would you do if you were stuck in one place and every day was exactly the same, and nothing that you did mattered?
Ralph: That about sums it up for me.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 09:21:17 AM »
Oh and the fat guy's scream when Phil tosses him against the wall on the second Groundhog Day just makes me giggle every time.

"Don't mess with me, porkchop!"
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 11:17:24 AM »
Don't drive angry
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 01:26:17 PM »
I liked Stephen Tobowlowsky as Ned Ryerson.  He has subsequently been on Glee playing a character named Sandy Ryerson, and I always wondered if the choice of last name was deliberate.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
This one didn't see his shadow, 6 more weeks of winter my ass...

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 07:16:18 PM »
I think Jonah Goldberg is one of the best political writers of our time. I read every column of his I can find.

I never thought I'd see a column of his about a Bill Murray movie, though, and certainly not one that gives the movie such in-depth scrutiny.

It almost makes me want to see the movie (which I never have). Almost.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 07:18:38 PM »
I think Jonah Goldberg is one of the best political writers of our time. I read every column of his I can find.

I never thought I'd see a column of his about a Bill Murray movie, though, and certainly not one that gives the movie such in-depth scrutiny.

See it.  It is worth your time.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 10:00:45 PM »
Roundup MT now has a groundhog named Montana Murray that predicted an early spring.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2012, 10:22:34 PM »

And you haven't seen Firefly.   Holy #%*^^!(, who's checking ID's around here?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2012, 11:56:05 PM »
See it.  It is worth your time.

+1.  One of the few movies that I don't mind watch frequently.
Formerly sumpnz

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
+1.  One of the few movies that I don't mind watch frequently.

Do you watch it every day? One day after another?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2012, 12:44:49 AM »
Do you watch it every day? One day after another?

Continuesly(sp)
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2012, 11:34:23 AM »
One question about the movie is how many years passed while Phil was stuck on ghd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day_(film)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2012, 07:08:09 PM »
See it.  It is worth your time.

This.  If I had to dig through the piles of DVD's and put together a top 10 list this would definitely make the list.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2012, 09:49:41 PM »
One question about the movie is how many years passed while Phil was stuck on ghd

According to the Goldberg article they show 34 days.  It's implied that it was many more than that.  Apparently the original script called him to be stuck in that day for 10,000 years.

I would assume something along the lines of at least a few years worth of hearing "I Got You, Babe" when he woke up. 
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2012, 10:13:34 PM »

Long enough to learn to play jazz piano  :lol:

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2012, 09:05:29 AM »

^^^^  ditto,  that alone made me think in terms of years, unless he had some amazing aptitude for music.

i also agree that the movie is a classic.  one of the few that i will linger on while channel surfing.

i took the kids to punxsatawney (could they use any more letters in their name?  it's almost like they intentionally changed it to make it the most awkwardly spelled city in the US.) a few years ago.  we made the mistake of going when it was held on a weekend.  they say before the movie a good year would have about 1,500 participants.  after the movie they had to move the venue outside the town to an open field where they see 10-20 times that.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2