Author Topic: Flare guns  (Read 49179 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Flare guns
« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2012, 09:05:19 AM »
Birdman 2, my 3, AJ's 1, 41mag's 1, Nick's 1, Balrog's 1, Ben's 2, freak's 1, your 1.  We're well on the way to becoming the 1%.

When do we get to control the money supply and make laws that benefit only us?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2012, 12:13:52 PM »
I'd be willing to bet that if we "regulars" got together will all of our assorted ... weapons, we'd have enough firepower to make an impact. All the more reason we need to find our own little town somewhere. Preferably with a good defensive position.  =D
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Birdman 2, my 3, AJ's 1, 41mag's 1, Nick's 1, Balrog's 1, Ben's 2, freak's 1, your 1.  We're well on the way to becoming the 1%.

What are we, a full quarter of that group buy?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »
What are we, a full quarter of that group buy?

Ah, I believe a healthy percentage already HAVE them.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2012, 02:54:04 PM »
I wonder, if all of us stood in a rough line, at the maximum reasonable distance for LOS of a flare (taking advantage of terrain where possible) how much distance could we cover to send a signal via relay from one end to the other, each firing a flare in turn?
I promise not to duck.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:34 PM »
I wonder, if all of us stood in a rough line, at the maximum reasonable distance for LOS of a flare (taking advantage of terrain where possible) how much distance could we cover to send a signal via relay from one end to the other, each firing a flare in turn?

I bet the math has been done - this is how the Byzantines communicated in wartime.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:47 PM »
I'm holding out for a spikes havoc
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2012, 10:44:15 PM »
Woohoo. Finally got registered on Grogs board. Been going through a little biit on the 26.5mm section and man, I now REALLY can't wait for it to get in. It is just so beautiful looking. :'( It looks like a finely made shotgun. I've also begun to realize this is going to cost me more than just the gun to start reloading, :facepalm: =D Oh well. I'll have to buy a few of those old Czech flares for the time so I have some things ready to fire.
Speaking of flares, can you actually just go out and shoot those, since flares are normally used in distress situations? Well, except during the Fourth of July, which has got to be a real crappy time to actually need to use them, :laugh:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2012, 11:25:35 PM »
Mainly just don't shoot red flares anywhere near navigable open water. USCG takes a dim view of that.  :angel:

Otherwise, maybe refrain from doing it near large public lands where folks could also be lost or in distress.

After that, it's just a matter of your local fireworks ordinances.
I promise not to duck.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »
The video of the parachute flares makes me nervous around here.  It is dripping burning magnesium? all the way to the ground for the entire duration.  If I wanted to start a forest fire this would be the round though!

Maybe over a lake....

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
I'm not sure either. In fact limited opportunities to use flares in my suburban neighborhood is exactly why I must DD my RV85 so I can shoot stuff at my gun club, or I'll almost never use it.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/50790692.html

This was big news in Milwaukee at the time. Burned the whole frigging plant down, burned for 2-3 days, several cities FD's responded and it cost tens of millions in damages and put hundreds of people out of work.

And it turns out it was a Marine on leave who'd smuggled a rocket illumination flare home to use as "fireworks".  :facepalm:
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2012, 02:28:58 PM »
it seems an un regulated flare gun could create create lots of mayhem
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
This is why I'll just stick to smoke and chalk rounds, and also the projectiles for sale at the reloadableshells.com website, especially since I'm in California. Is there a risk of fire with the smoke rounds? With the projectiles from reloadableshells.com are those used for chalk, flares, smoke, or what? Since they are made out of a hard plastic. Or can you just shoot them as projectiles, and if so would they have to be registered as DD? ???
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2012, 09:17:18 PM »
This is why I'll just stick to smoke and chalk rounds, and also the projectiles for sale at the reloadableshells.com website, especially since I'm in California. Is there a risk of fire with the smoke rounds? With the projectiles from reloadableshells.com are those used for chalk, flares, smoke, or what? Since they are made out of a hard plastic. Or can you just shoot them as projectiles, and if so would they have to be registered as DD? ???

That is a gray area. Generally, the hollow projectiles are for pyro, stars and flare compounds etc. You shoot them up, and it makes some sort of colors in the sky, it's just a flare gun.

You take an empty one, or one filled with dead weight and shoot it horizontally at a target, you've arguably just made your RV85 a DD. The projectiles themselves would not be registerable DD's unless they contained over 1/4oz of explosive in them. Strangely, you put a rubber ball or just a chunk of wooden dowel in a casing over .50 cal, and you've made a non-registerable DD round that makes what your launching it from a DD. However, if you make something like a smoke grenade that instead burns OC or CS, it's "defensive" and "gas or irritant dispersing" and not a DD. Go figure.  [tinfoil] (I think it may have been done to alleviate prisons and LEA's from having to do extra paperwork on tear gas launchers..)

Also, do know there is SOME disagreement over chalk rounds. My FFL/SOT says "Chalk rounds? Pfft... they're for practice and are just chalk used for MARKING, so obviously they make an unregistered launcher non-DD." Grog feels since they're practice rounds for ammunition that would make your launcher become a DD, or are practice for the rounds that would be individual DD's themselves, and because they're fired to practice for use in an offensive manner, they are "danger close" for someone with an unregistered launcher.

Me personally, I agree with my FFL/SOT friend that I'd be okay with shooting chalk markers out of an unregistered launcher. I figure the ATF would only make a stink over it if they were looking to get me on something, and that meant I already had their attention for other reasons. Something I never plan to have happen, at least through my own stupidity or actions.  Everyone else, just be aware that there's a difference of opinion on chalk markers, and they need to make up their own minds.

Also, of those capsules on Reloadableshells.com, the 26.5mm does not carry enough payload to really do a good job with the colored chalk dust as a practice marker, unless there's a small dispersal charge, with fold out fins, and an inertial firing pin in the tail and a 209 shotgun primer, or similar. Some folks on Grog's board have posted some really tantalizing designs for that, but there's been word boo on how to actually make or mold the plastic parts for it.

Smoke definitely CAN start fires. Probably a LOT easier than tracers would, which I hear could get you the death penalty in CA.  [tinfoil] Although I suppose you could figure out a smoke mixture that is even lower temperature. I don't know...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:25:33 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2012, 09:45:45 PM »
Graaa!
So the hollow projectiles are made to be blown apart? The chalk rounds only work well if they are basically attached to something like those mini rocket grenades? Lol. Sounds like I'll just have to DD it. That mouse balls idea sounded like it would be pretty fun. Wonder if I could turn the hollow projectiles into simply propelling a parachute, sort of like a model rocket, instead of being a flare. Big thing I'm worried about is creating a fire hazard with the flares, that and accidently creating a DD,  :facepalm: Stupid government making difficult to have fun.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2012, 10:34:22 PM »
I've got half baked ideas about a bright LED strobe on a parachute maybe even a "camera grenades " if I can figure it out with relatively cheap COTS components.  >:D

Thinking about it some more, I do take it back a bit on the chalk. There's folks rolling Pyro cardboard tubes longer than the casings for 26.5mm, and the original Czech CS gas rockets were really long too.  So I guess a looong capsule of chalk up front might hold enough to disperse visibly on impact.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 10:43:21 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
I've got half baked ideas about a bright LED strobe on a parachute maybe even a "camera grenades " if I can figure it out with relatively cheap COTS components.  >:D
The FAA might not approve.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2012, 10:47:24 PM »
The FAA might not approve.

It would only be a few hundred yards high at most, unless I intentionally tried to shoot such a thing near a low-flying aircraft, or near an airport, I doubt they'd have anything to do with it.
I promise not to duck.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #93 on: February 23, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
can you shoot these?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #94 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:57 PM »
can you shoot these?

Yes, but they'd qualify the launcher as a DD. Much like the Blooming Onion.
I promise not to duck.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #95 on: February 23, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
It would only be a few hundred yards high at most, unless I intentionally tried to shoot such a thing near a low-flying aircraft, or near an airport, I doubt they'd have anything to do with it.

You can get away with a lot as long as you're operating below 500' outside of terminal controlled airspace.  Rule of thumb, be at least 5sm from any controlled airport.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #96 on: February 23, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »
You can get away with a lot as long as you're operating below 500' outside of terminal controlled airspace.  Rule of thumb, be at least 5sm from any controlled airport.

Good to know.

Although I've also got ideas about some rocket assisted projectiles, using A/B/C Estes or Quest rocket motors.  >:D
I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #97 on: February 23, 2012, 08:34:56 PM »
Would you stop with the flare launcher torture?  I DON'T NEED ONE!!!  It's not working...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #98 on: February 23, 2012, 11:43:58 PM »
Would you stop with the flare launcher torture?  I DON'T NEED ONE!!!  It's not working...

I KNOW!!!!!!   

I really really really want one...  But I don't want to find out if my garage is a comfortable place to sleep....  :)
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #99 on: February 24, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Same here - but in my case, I just know I'd somehow manage to get myself into hot water by doing something easy, obvious, and straightforward, but without the official sanctioning paperwork . . .

(And besides, none of the local ranges would take kindly to my touching off the type of flare gun innovations under discussion here . . .  :'( )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain