Author Topic: World War I passes from memory to history with last known veteran's death  (Read 8062 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
http://wtop.com/?nid=220&sid=2737538

Almost made it 100 years from the start of the war.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

wmenorr67

• friend
Re: World War I passes from memory to history with last known veteran's death
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 01:30:25 PM »
Sadly it won't be too long that our WWII veterans will also be gone.  I would raise a glass in honor if I could. :'(
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 01:54:13 PM »
I remember the feeling I had on hearing that Bob Hope had passed. All the amazing changes he saw in the world and the experiences he had during his life. The end of an era. This is another such moment.  =(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

brimic

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 02:21:53 PM »
Wow.
I used to shoot trap with a few WWI vets, one had played for the German team, that was 25 years or so ago, and they were old then....
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »
Previous generations had the same feelings - I remember my father told me that when he was very young, he met an old man who was a Civil War veteran. The last one passed a long time ago . . . and now, the last WWI vet.

I wonder how today's youngsters will feel - or if they'll even notice - when the last WWII or Vietnam veteran passes.

Or, for that matter, the last Holocaust survivor . . .

And in a slightly related story, it turns out that two of President John Tyler's grandsons are still alive, and Tyler was POTUS from 1841-1845!

http://www.silive.com/northshore/index.ssf/2012/02/presidential_tyler_family_once.html
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 07:32:44 AM »
My Pop remembered the Doughboys disembarking for the troopships in the Hudson River for the march down Broadway in early 1919.  He was nine or ten years old.

His own WWII service began in May of 1941 by being recalled after completing a reserve obligation.  This was during Roosevelt's pre-Pearl Harbor build-up.

Russ

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 08:11:57 AM »
Figure in that the youngest WWII vets are 83/84, how many are going to live another 26 or 27 years?  I wouldn't be surprised that the last of the WWII vets aren't gone in 15 or less.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 09:05:50 AM »
My daughter ran a high school talent show last weekend
The theme was "the 90's"

to todays High Schoolers, anything before 1994 is history.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:30 AM »
The theme was "the 90's"

And a lot of us who grew up in the 80s have had 80s-themed events. The 80s are also history. So?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Lee

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 08:31:24 PM »
Both my Grandfathers served in WWI.  Gone but not forgotten.  Luckily, I am the grandson who got custody of their medals, a bayonet, a handful of European coins, and a few other things.
I haven't seen the movie War Horse yet...but thought I would soon.  I've not seen many WWI movies.  My Grandparents were big Gary Cooper fans though...so I saw the old ones

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »

For today's historians, too.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 09:00:55 PM »
Y'all do realize we're into the second decade of the 21st century, right?  =D
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 09:13:17 PM »
It's genetic...my gramma was still pissed off about the civil war in 1970....carried over from her grandparents and parents I'm sure. :laugh:

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 12:25:32 AM »
For today's historians, too.

I hope that's tongue-in-cheek... I fear it isn't.

The generally accepted line between journalism and history is at about the thirty year mark.  Basically, your subject has to be old enough that the people involved have written a memoir.  It's also easier if they're dead.

Anybody "doing history" under the thirty year limit is either working in an area of solid documentation and rapid evolution (which basically never happens), or is selling something.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 01:15:48 AM »
The theme was "the 90's"

I was kind of busy during the '90s what with raising kids, buying a house and working. Other than inane and vapid TV programming, Clinton scandals and the AWB what else was there?

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 07:33:58 AM »
I work with several Vietnam war veterans.  Some were fighter pilots and some were apparently POWs together.
They're all pretty cool guys.
Interesting thing is that they're Vietnamese themselves.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 08:46:06 AM »
Mabs sure you weren't dreaming once again of going to Tailand?

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20:19 PM »
I was kind of busy during the '90s what with raising kids, buying a house and working. Other than inane and vapid TV programming, Clinton scandals and the AWB what else was there?

ask a Berliner
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 02:28:43 PM »
ask a Berliner

Berliner with plum jam filling:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 02:49:20 PM »
Smile & wave President Kennedy, smile and wave.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 07:41:04 PM »
ask a Berliner

The wall came down in '89. I missed that due to being underway on a submarine in the Med at the time, we didn't get the word for week or about a two weeks or so till we pulled back into port.
It was kind of a big deal in Europe but I didn't see much of the impact in the US since I wasn't here when it happened.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Lee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
I think this is pretty cool ...those Canadians keep some good records...and they're easy to find.
http://www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/cef/001042-119.02-e.php?image_url=http://data2.archives.ca/cef/gpc001/270554a.gif&id_nbr=74317

That is my Grandfather.  He lied about his birth date.  He made his way from Georgia to NYC to enlist.  He was only 16 and they turned him away.  So he went on to Toronto and lied about his age. He was sent to Europe and celebrated his 18th birthday (and the prospect of going home) in a trench, just a month after Germany surrendered.    

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_history_of_Canada_during_World_War_I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
I hope that's tongue-in-cheek... I fear it isn't.

The generally accepted line between journalism and history is at about the thirty year mark.  Basically, your subject has to be old enough that the people involved have written a memoir.  It's also easier if they're dead.

Anybody "doing history" under the thirty year limit is either working in an area of solid documentation and rapid evolution (which basically never happens), or is selling something.

Generally accepted?

Citation needed.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 07:55:49 PM »

Berliner with plum jam filling:

"Ich bin ein berliner!"~~ President John F. Kennedy.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 09:08:45 PM »
Generally accepted?

Citation needed.

Challenge accepted