Author Topic: Rick Santorm takes CO, MO, MN  (Read 6715 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Rick Santorm takes CO, MO, MN
« on: February 08, 2012, 11:05:29 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/voting-underway-colorado-early-results-coming-minnesota-missouri-023723997.html

No delegates were at stake on Tuesday night, but Rick Santorum still scored three important--and surprisingly large--victories in the race for the Republican presidential nomination by winning caucuses in Colorado and Minnesota and a primary in Missouri.

Son of a gun! Surprising surge by Ricky.

This race is like a Who's On First routine!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Rick Santorm takes CO, MO, MN
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 11:07:45 AM »
From out of the blue............ :O :O

Things are getting interesting indeed....... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:31 AM »
The people are waking up, they're restless.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »

:facepalm:

Do folks outside of PA understand that we fired the guy for a very good reason?  He didn't retire or resign, we booted him out on his tail. Why do the other politicians not point this out?

"The people from your own state disliked you enough to vote you out by the largest landslide against an incumbent in the state's history. Why do you believe you are qualified for any meaningful office?"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 11:58:48 AM »
Why was he so disliked?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 11:59:57 AM »
Yes, Rev - why, pray tell!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 12:36:45 PM »
Santorum is an acceptable candidate to me. He's not my first choice, but he'll do if he wins. (My vote doesn't really matter here in Virginia anyway.)

Is he too much of a "compassionate conservative"? Yes. But he's not a poorly-cloaked liberal like Mitt. Does he lack executive experience I would prefer? Yes. But, as stated, he's not a poorly-cloaked liberal. (I can go on with the disappointments I have with Santorum and his support for SPECTRE is one of them. However, he's enough less bad for me.)

So, he lost in 2006. That's a pretty skewed year on which to be basing current judgements.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 01:37:29 PM »
his support for SPECTRE
SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
SPecial Executive for Counterintelligence, Terrorism, Revenge, and Extortion?

Glad someone caught the reference.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 02:50:54 PM »
I'm a newly-minted Delegate to the county convention (Minnesota), which convenes on 03 March.

While I voted for Ron Paul in the "straw poll" we took at the precinct level, I can fairly easily support Rick Santorum as the candidate.

If sent to the state convention to support either Romney or Gingrich, I would have to respecfully decline, and let an alternate take my place.

This was my first-ever precinct caucus, and was a not-unpleasant experience. I live in a rural area - we had 4 people for my precinct, a farming township (36 square miles of farmland and rural homes).

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 02:57:09 PM »
:facepalm:

Do folks outside of PA understand that we fired the guy for a very good reason?  He didn't retire or resign, we booted him out on his tail. Why do the other politicians not point this out?

"The people from your own state disliked you enough to vote you out by the largest landslide against an incumbent in the state's history. Why do you believe you are qualified for any meaningful office?"

Look at the alternatives, and that should explain it. And, no, most voters don't know all that stuff.

Let's just chock this up as a win. Romney lost three votes in one day.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 03:57:03 PM »
Look at the alternatives, and that should explain it. And, no, most voters don't know all that stuff.

Let's just chock this up as a win. Romney lost three votes in one day.
I noticed a couple of debates ago that Santorum just stood there as Newt and Mitt hammered each other.

He came out looking unblemished.

Sadly, though, there is that Google "Santorum' thing.......

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2012, 04:28:41 PM »
I'm a newly-minted Delegate to the county convention (Minnesota), which convenes on 03 March.

While I voted for Ron Paul in the "straw poll" we took at the precinct level, I can fairly easily support Rick Santorum as the candidate.

If sent to the state convention to support either Romney or Gingrich, I would have to respecfully decline, and let an alternate take my place.

This was my first-ever precinct caucus, and was a not-unpleasant experience. I live in a rural area - we had 4 people for my precinct, a farming township (36 square miles of farmland and rural homes).

jb
I'm also a MN delegate.  This was my 2nd caucus to attend, and first time to be a delegate.  I was elected to represent my precinct, and I'll do that by voting for other RP delegates at the 2/23 county convention, and if the county wants me to move up to the next level I will (and will ultimately vote for Paul in the national convention (I know I won't go that far, that's not the point))  I didn't hide the fact that I was a Paul supporter and my precinct elected me to represent them, so obviously that's what they want me to do, even though almost all of them voted for Santorum in the straw poll.   :angel:

I don't think they ever tell you who to vote for.  I'm still learning this stuff.  I know it's quite possible for Paul to win most or even all of the MN delegates even though he came in a distant second in the straw poll -- that happens by RP delegates getting together and voting just for themselves to move up to the next level, and it gets more and more concentrated at each stage.  AFAIK, there are 3 more conventions in MN including the state convention.
"It's good, though..."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Why was he so disliked?

"This whole idea of personal autonomy, well I don’t think most conservatives hold that point of view. Some do. They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues. You know, people should do whatever they want. Well, that is not how traditional conservatives view the world and I think most conservatives understand that individuals can’t go it alone."

That sums the man up. He honestly does believe it too. He legitimately believes that basically people are untrustworthy and should be regulated as much as possible by the government, in ALL possible areas. 

Toss in the "We should bomb someone every week" rhetoric he was using at the time, he managed to thoroughly piss off both liberals and conservatives. Only folks that liked him were Palace Guard GOP types and neo-cons.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2012, 07:27:39 PM »
At this point I can't in good conscience vote for any of the Big Three R candidates. Looks like I'll be writing in Calvin Coolidge...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2012, 08:45:02 PM »
It's gotten to the point that I'd rather vote for a bent shitcan than any of the GOP offerings.
Meh, even a bent shitcan would still be better than Obama.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2012, 09:14:16 PM »
At this point I can't in good conscience vote for any of the Big Three R candidates. Looks like I'll be writing in Calvin Coolidge...

A fine POTUS with the proper understanding of the place of the fed.gov.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:41 PM »
Personally, I think he won because Repub voters just really don't like Romney despite all the establishment support for him, and the Romney attack machine has done such a thorough job of destroying Perry, Cain, and Newt that people don't want to move that way. 

Pay attention over the next few days or week to what the Romney attack machine does against Santorum. 

I think we could do better than Santorum, but we could do a hell of a lot worse with Romney.  At least with Santorum, there is a small chance of things changing a little in DC.  (a little)
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2012, 11:19:41 PM »
I think we could do better than Santorum, but we could do a hell of a lot worse with Romney.  At least with Santorum, there is a small chance of things changing a little in DC.  (a little)

You did not specify for the better or worse.   ;)

Very perceptive of you.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 12:31:26 AM »
Somebody on the radio said he would write in John Galt. I may follow suit.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 07:00:17 AM »
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2012/02/08/ron_paul_secretly_won_the_caucuses.html

IOW, if your state rules grant delegates the power to vote as they will, stick around when they are voting for precinct, district, & state delegates & officers.  Paul's supporters are doing so and being elected as delegates after the other guys' voters are going home.  So, Newt Santomney may have taken first, second, and third in a precinct allocated 10 delegates, but RP supporters get elected as 7 of the delegates after the Newt Santomney's voters go home.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 07:35:27 AM »
You did not specify for the better or worse.   ;)

Very perceptive of you.
Honestly, even with the perfect Conservative/Libertarian leaning President, it doesn't matter much with people like Bohner running the House.  That guy isn't interested in changing anything.  My main hope is that we can get someone in there that will help bring in more Repub Congressmen and perhaps push Bohner to the right a little.  I don't know if Santorum is that guy, but KNOW Romney is not.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 03:53:40 PM »
Santorum on libertarians and earmarks:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQnoVpkyqc
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 06:23:48 PM »
I like Santorum, not for any really good reason but he sounds like a guy that will slay his enemies with a short sword that was commonly used by Roman Soldiers.

Personally I prefer Palin, but any of the R's seem better then what we have now.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."