Author Topic: LL Cool J has Class!  (Read 3753 times)

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
LL Cool J has Class!
« on: February 13, 2012, 12:05:07 PM »
I have never been a fan of LL Cool J, and do not know any of his music,

However,

I was forced by SWMBO to watch the Grammies last night.

LL Cool J was the host, and addressed Whitney Houston's death in the beginning.

He was very professional and tasteful in what he did, and what he said.

He then perfectly got the audience fired up for the music and awards.

He was a real class act throughout the presentation.

I was impressed by him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id5M1sHr8P4
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: LL Cool J has Class!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:19:06 PM »
I have never been a fan of LL Cool J, and do not know any of his music.

It's never too late.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:20:58 PM »
It's never too late.
I respect his class. It is probably way too late for the music genre conversion.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 12:46:34 PM »
Be sure to start with "Big Ole Butt".   =)

It's a classic of early hip-hop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84LUpG6ieis

IMO, his Unplugged "Mama Said Knock You Out" is one of the best things on MTV ever:  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9OqHL8EFU

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 12:52:56 PM by red headed stranger »
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
LL, Ice-T and RMC, old school rap is the only rap I will listen to.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 12:58:30 PM »
Be sure to start with "Big Ole Butt".   =)

It's a classic of early hip-hop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84LUpG6ieis

IMO, his Unplugged "Mama Said Knock You Out" is one of the best things on MTV ever: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if9OqHL8EFU

Old school, pre "gangsta" rap. 

Also any time he opens his mouth, he seems to generally just be a positive, laid back person.  Its alot easier to respect a celebrity who doesn't think the way to get their name on the news is by running their suck.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 01:06:13 PM »
Interesting that both LL and Ice-T are on two of my favorite shows, NCIS:Los Angles and Law and Order SVU.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 01:07:40 PM »
has managed to avoid any of the scandals and nonsense too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 01:08:43 PM »
His performance in Robin Williams "Toys" was quite good.

Here he is last night
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybvn7ztS_r4
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2012, 03:22:48 PM »
Interesting that both LL and Ice-T are on two of my favorite shows, NCIS:Los Angles and Law and Order SVU.

NCIS LA is so badly written, yet its hard not to watch just for the interaction of Callen and Sam.  Supporting cast is so-so but keeps it watchable.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Just watched the MTV unplugged video that red head stranger linked to above.  Gotta say that there aren't many current rap or pop stars that could pull off that kind of performance.  No computer effects or enhancements.  Just you and your voice to carry the day...

If you're ever in the mood to watch a bad movie, his part in Deep Blue Sea was worth the rest of the crap in the film.  Too funny.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2012, 05:18:43 PM »

+1

I like both of them in everything i've seen them in.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2012, 06:44:25 PM »
+1

I like both of them in everything i've seen them in.

Everything? NSFW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPNDzeK5KQw&feature=related

ETA: I originally linked to a video of "Cop Killer" just because I remember the controversy, but to me at least this is MUCH more disturbing:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1910969/

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2012, 08:43:49 PM »
Not a fan of LL Cool J's music, but his acting & hosting is pretty good....snappy dresser, too....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2012, 11:15:52 PM »
Dear Yvette, dear Yvette.
Dear Yvette.
Dear
Eee
Vette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1WtfuL3b1U

7-11 was a part time job.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2012, 11:36:42 PM »
Just watched the MTV unplugged video that red head stranger linked to above.  Gotta say that there aren't many current rap or pop stars that could pull off that kind of performance.  No computer effects or enhancements.  Just you and your voice to carry the day...

If you're ever in the mood to watch a bad movie, his part in Deep Blue Sea was worth the rest of the crap in the film.  Too funny.
Gotta agree that the unplugged version didn't sound all that bad.  It is certainly unusual seeing a rap band playing acoustics. 

A lot of old singers from decades ago didn't have the best voices, but they learned to sing with what they had and develop their own style with it. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
A lot of old singers from decades ago didn't have the best voices 
That hasn't changed with new singers they just Autotune them now, which in various different ways is a shame. You'd never see a singer like Louie Armstrong make it today, for instance.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 12:57:13 PM »
That hasn't changed with new singers they just Autotune them now, which in various different ways is a shame. You'd never see a singer like Louie Armstrong make it today, for instance.

That is what I am referring to.  They didn't autotune and any flaws were just part of their style; or guys like Johnny Cash just didn't sing high notes.  You could listen to a record/CD then go see them live and it would sound the same.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
Gotta agree that the unplugged version didn't sound all that bad.  It is certainly unusual seeing a rap band playing acoustics. 

A lot of old singers from decades ago didn't have the best voices, but they learned to sing with what they had and develop their own style with it. 
(Producer in background) "Bring up the guitars, bring up the guitars!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 05:43:54 PM »
has managed to avoid any of the scandals and nonsense too

I'm vague on this.

I remember from when I was translating Entertainment Channel stuff on the lives of rappers, they portrayed him as fitting the stereotype, is this not the case?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner