Author Topic: can you split 100 cords a year?  (Read 3816 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

coppertales

• friend
Re: can you split 100 cords a year?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:02:49 PM »
When I lived in the UP, I put up around 12-15 chords a year for 8 years.  That way I always was 10 chords ahead which made it nice and dry for the following winter.  Did it all by hand too.  Now, I live in Texas during the winter so I don't have to work that hard to keep warm.....chris3

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 01:24:21 PM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:53:58 PM by bedlamite »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:21:19 PM »
If that was what I was doing full time as a major source of income, yeah I could, until my re-built shoulder came apart.

I installed a wood stove n the fall and have heated exclusively with it this winter I've cut and split about 5-6 cords since November and try to keep it at a 1/2 cord in a session cut, split and stacked. Because of the problems with my shoulder and back. There will very likely be a hydro splitter in my arsenal for next season.

In addition to a standard 8# mall, wedges and a 3# doubl bit axe for splitting I picked up a Fiskars X25  a darn good tool that won't replace my other splitting tools places them to the back of the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGx2rBeV6LQ&feature=related

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 07:01:52 PM »
Yes, I could, quite easily with one of these:angel:
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:35:21 PM »
Not in a year full of the best days I ever had.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

• friends
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:59:57 PM »
Not in a year full of the best days I ever had.

if it was my sole task   maybe
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 10:22:32 PM »
thanks! awesome vids
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:04 PM »
Several years ago, an old guy from outside one of the small towns in upper Maine (the tree company region, where some of the towns just have numbers instead of names) showed up at the local hardware store on a Saturday and talked to the clerk about buying a new chain saw. It was autumn, and he said he needed to get his winter's supply of wood cut up and the old saw wasn't getting it done. So the clerk showed him a couple, he picked one and paid for it, and headed back into the woods.

Next Saturday the old man was back, with the chain saw, and looking just beat to death. The same clerk waited on him, and the old man complained that the new saw was worse than his old one. He said he worked as hard as he could for the entire week and was only able to cut 8 chords of wood. The clerk was surprised, because it was one of their most popular brands and models, but he said, "Well, let's take it out back to the wood pile and I'll see if we can figure out what's wrong with it."

So out they went. The clerk checked the gas and the chain oil -- both were full. So he set the choke, yanked on the rope, and fired up the saw. Just as he was about to try cutting into a big log the old man tapped him on the shoulder and yelled, "What's that noise?"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 10:55:57 PM »
I knew where that was going. :lol:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:00:29 PM »
worst part is each piece of wood gets handled 5 times

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 07:41:31 AM »
worst part is each piece of wood gets handled 5 times

Some Olde Phart once told me that heating with wood warms you 5 times.  Cutting the tree down.  Hauling the stuff to your woodlot.  Stacking the stuff.  Cutting the stuff to fireplace size.  Actually burning the damned wood.

You shoulda heard what I told that Olde Phart while he sat there watching me supply him with firewood - for free.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:00:00 AM »
I try not to handle my fire wood that many times.
I split it where I cut it, load it, unload it to the outside stacks then move it to the woodshed after a year.

Not to take anything away from the guys work ethic but the videos show him splitting some nice straight grain stuff. I've got some gnarly Red Oak and American Elm that just won't split like that.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2012, 08:22:12 PM »
locust >:D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
I grew up cutting and splitting firewood.

*expletive deleted*ck that *expletive deleted*it, it's goddamn hard work. I want one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdXzaGFkWfU
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 04:27:20 PM »
http://www.blockbuster-inc.com/22-22.html
with this
http://www.blockbuster-inc.com/elevators.html

I still like the bobcat mounted processor better. Other than cutting the tree down and cutting the logs to the length the bobcat can handle, you don't leave the cab.

Guy up the road from me has a big processor kinda similar to the one you posted, CSD.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 05:06:54 PM »
bobcat one doesn't produce the volume
needs shorter logs
theres a guy in minn  who sells 3000 cord a year  has a couple kilns for drying too  its a hoot   ever seen a wood pile 3 acres big? 20-30 foot high?

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:35 PM »

It more than produces the volume for my use.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 01:21:04 AM »
I've been bucking and splitting the trees on my property we've been cutting down and selling it for firewood to fund my fishing addiction.  Other than taking $400 out of my Christmas bonus it's paid for all my kayak related stuff.  It also paid for a couple charter fishing trips last year.

Last year I sold ~4-5 cords.  So far this year I've sold 5.5 cords and I've still got a little bit left over.  Got 1.5 cords from a single maple tree.

I'm starting to run low on dead/dying/pathetic trees.  Got a few left though.
Formerly sumpnz

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:23 PM »
locust
I tried splitting a black locust my dad had cut down a few years ago.  It is the only wood that will completely stop my splitter.  It split pretty easy after it had dried for a couple of years, though.

My splitter is just an old Sears 5 horse one, but around here, most firewood is cottonwood or elm, and either split pretty easy when they're dry.

We must have lost at least 50 trees during the 2002 drought, and they started blowing down a few years ago.  I figure we're probably set for life on firewood.  Cottonwood actually works pretty well around here because it grows slow in this arid state, so it's fairly dense.  Besides, we just don't have many "real" firewood trees.

I pull a 4x8 utility trailer behind my four wheeler to the river bottom about a half mile from the house, usually cut, split and load the wood down there, and then bring it back to the house to stack.  My little 250 Suzuki will pull a half cord of wood as long as I'm not in a hurry.

We use about three cords a year in our Vermont Castings stove.  If we were here all day, I would probably double that easily.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 11:27:50 PM »
needs shorter logs
theres a guy in minn  who sells 3000 cord a year  has a couple kilns for drying too  its a hoot   ever seen a wood pile 3 acres big? 20-30 foot high?
Wow, think of all the wasps you could harvest out of a wood pile that big!
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge