Author Topic: Crappy reporting  (Read 4564 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Crappy reporting
« on: February 29, 2012, 02:08:53 PM »
Edit:  since Jonnyb has no reading comprehension..  not shocked, not surprised, a bit disappointed that a supposed journalist put in so little effort.

Example:
http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/local_news/oh_portage/sheriff-student-in-portage-county-arrested-for-holding-assault-rifle-in-facebook-profile-picture

Read this article.  Your outrage meter should be rather pegged that somebody was arrested simply for having a facebook picture with a gun in it.  OMG..  get the NRA involved and all that.

A better story:
http://www.cleveland.com/chardon-shooting/index.ssf/2012/02/crestwood_high_school_student.html

Oh...  in addition to the picture he was polling his friends on if they thought it was a good idea to shoot up a school as well as other comments that he was about to lose it and go on a stabbing spree.

Yep..  actual cause for concern.  Whether it is arrest worthy or not is debatable (I lean towards not, but investigation and psychiatric evaluation would apply), but definitely some sort of action was appropriate.

Mike Waterhouse of Newsnet5 needs a remedial journalism class!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:37:30 AM by 41magsnub »

JonnyB

• friend
Re: Crappy reporting
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 03:47:00 PM »
Crappy reporting?

Isn't water still wet?

You're surprised? Outraged, yes. Shocked, no.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »
Crappy reporting?

Isn't water still wet?

You're surprised? Outraged, yes. Shocked, no.

jb

What are you on about?

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 04:53:13 PM »

Are you suggesting it should be legal to photograph assault weapons? That sounds pretty extreme to me.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:00:42 PM »
Oh come on, now, this is getting way out of hand:

http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

birdman

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 05:53:44 PM »
Oh come on, now, this is getting way out of hand:

http://www.assaultweaponwatch.com/

Holy crap, that's awesome

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:56 PM »
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=33583.0;topicseen

Another great example of the headline being a complete fabrication
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 10:58:42 PM »
What are you on about?

I'm "on about" the idea that you're shocked by crappy reporting. Nothing more.

jb

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:13:04 PM »
I'm "on about" the idea that you're shocked by crappy reporting. Nothing more.

jb

You read a lot more into what was posted than is there and used it to try to belittle me.  That is what you are on about.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 07:31:07 AM »
These days, crappy reporting seems to be the standard, not the exception.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:14 AM »
Crappy reporting, isn't that redundant?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:07:47 AM »
You read a lot more into what was posted than is there and used it to try to belittle me.  That is what you are on about.

Comment deleted by me. jb

I read nothing into it. I merely commented upon the thread title. "Crappy" and "reporting" are pretty much synonymous these days. It's not news; it's the norm.

No offense was deliberate or incidental. Road King Larry, RocketMan and I agree; reporting these days is generally crappy in nature. Noting that, alone, was my purpose in responding.

jb
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 09:11:11 AM by JonnyB »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »

And yet, folks (left and right) get outraged at the drop of a hat from KNOWN BAD sources.

A reporter could have video evidence of Dick Cheney and Rahm Emanuel feeding bunnies into a wood chipper to raise funds for Keith Olbermann's plot to overthrow the New Zealand government, and I'd still be somewhat skeptical.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:26:02 AM »
Easy, there, son. I had, and have, no intention whatsoever of belittling you. Chill.

jb

I am not your son (that is a term of belittlement when used in this context by the way).  You did not comment on the thread title, you jumped right into accusing me of being shocked when nothing in the OP inferred that in the slightest and you did it in a confrontational manner...  then went all condescending when called on it.  0 internet points awarded.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:51:47 AM by 41magsnub »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:27:38 AM »
Crappy reporting, isn't that redundant?

What makes the reporting "crappy" is that the reporter (or his editor) that simply posing with a LCMSR for a photo is "obviously" enough of a matter for concern that he felt zero need for couching that fact in any further supporting context.

He was unable to envision anyone with a viewpoint different than his own that might require more information than that, such as the fact the boy also made threads and references to engaging in a spree killing himself.
I promise not to duck.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Time to bring back this old classic.

http://stlouis.cbslocal.com/2012/01/13/normandy-mayor-instists-city-credit-card-was-used-appropriate/

And yet, folks (left and right) get outraged at the drop of a hat from KNOWN BAD sources.

A reporter could have video evidence of Dick Cheney and Rahm Emanuel feeding bunnies into a wood chipper to raise funds for Keith Olbermann's plot to overthrow the New Zealand government, and I'd still be somewhat skeptical.

They're the WORST! ISLAND! IN THE WORLD!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 03:22:48 PM by fistful »

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
The student is facing two counts of inducing panic,

;/

one count of aggravated menacing

???

and one count of telecommunications harassment.
:laugh:

This ought to be worth a Disorderly Conduct...
While this boy did not threaten anyone in particular, the threats he made on Facebook alarmed school administrators
7-11 was a part time job.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2012, 07:32:28 AM »
What in the name of personal jet pack Jesus is aggravated menacing...,compared to regular menacing.

And seriously folks...every one of those charges is a weasel word, newspeak, thought crime way of saying "no one was actually hurt, only butt hurt, but since he MIGHT do something more real, we should find a way to arrest him"

I thought inciting a panic was a charge only to be used when you actions actually incited a panic THAT HAD THE POTENTIAL FOR INJURY OR DEATH (ie yelling fire in a theater, saying "raiders fans are a bunch of homoerotic bdsm participants with football as an excuse" to a half naked, silver/black body painted, vader-masked man whilst sitting at the second row, 50yd line in oakland)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2012, 03:41:22 PM »
What in the name of personal jet pack Jesus is aggravated menacing...,compared to regular menacing.

Hrm.  Gimp suit under a half-unbuttoned TSA uniform, wearing a viking helmet, drooling while rev'ing a bloody chainsaw?

That could be aggravated menacing. Y'anno, under the right circumstances.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »
I think the Aggravated part comes from the nunchuks.

I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2012, 04:14:05 PM »
Holy crap.  Did you make that picture or find it?  I just randomly thought up personal jet pack Jesus

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2012, 04:27:55 PM »
Holy crap.  Did you make that picture or find it?  I just randomly thought up personal jet pack Jesus

It's the internet. The closest thing to infinite monkeys on infinite typewriters humanity has...  =D

If I did it, it would look like this:

(That was in response to someone posting "Jesus on a flaming rocket powered crutch")
I promise not to duck.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 12:14:58 AM »
I'm trying to figure out how this turned into a dust up. At any rate, time to drive on.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."