Author Topic: Wireless Data Could Move 1,000 Times Faster Thanks to Frequency Combs  (Read 2567 times)

Frank Castle

• friend
Wireless Data Could Move 1,000 Times Faster Thanks to Frequency Combs

Interesting !!  [popcorn]

http://gizmodo.com/5891472/wireless-data-could-move-1000-times-faster-thanks-to-frequency-combs

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Wireless Data Could Move 1,000 Times Faster Thanks to Frequency Combs
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 06:47:20 AM »
Frequency combs?  What about bald people?  That is hair discrimination!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

birdman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 11:31:09 AM »
Yes and no...dispersion and phase variances will become more and more problematic, so the front/back-end processing will increase geometrically to exploit such bandwidth

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:19 AM »
thats why we will have nano tech combs to extract the frequency nits

SCIENCE!
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 04:56:11 PM »
thats why we will have nano tech combs to extract the frequency nits

SCIENCE!

Oh you said nits not ni, silly me.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
Yes and no...dispersion and phase variances will become more and more problematic, so the front/back-end processing will increase geometrically to exploit such bandwidth

The physics of the thing normally dictate that higher frequencies mean higher data rates, correct?. Although I presume you could push any given range of frequencies "harder" and just rely on more front and back-end CPU time to clean it up to some degree too.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:14:19 PM »
The physics of the thing normally dictate that higher frequencies mean higher data rates, correct?. Although I presume you could push any given range of frequencies "harder" and just rely on more front and back-end CPU time to clean it up to some degree too.

What I meant is once the dispersion is substantial over the bandwidth, there is multi-path across even a collimated beam if it's going through real materials that are non-uniform (air)--meaning space-time adaptive processing (eg MIMO) will be required to clean it up, and the complexity required increases with the square of the effective number of paths...so in this case, while a typical cell phone at 10Mbps and 2-4 antenna diversity can get a way with say 0.1 GMACS of DSP, a 100x increase would require 1000 GMACS...

The higher the spatial-spectral density, the more complex the encoding...the ability to modulate at these high levels means that the computations necessary to lock in on the minute variations become even harder.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 08:25:18 PM »
Ah. I see, you're pushing it so hard, speed of light differences and other effects you can safely ignore today become significant , and somehow you've got to actively clean that up.

Although that begs a completely different question, could the interference and delays that make such high bandwidth difficult, also make this technology useful for sensing and mapping an entire region like some sort of mile-wide MRI (obviously not an actual MRI but you get the analogy...)?
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:47:37 PM »
Would this make it possible to blame fistful even faster than we do now?.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Daniel964

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 03:57:47 AM »

Thread win. =D

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 08:51:42 AM »
Fun fact:
All fistful-blaming to date actually happened after this service became commonplace.  It is that fast.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 09:02:29 AM »
The higher the spatial-spectral density, the more complex the encoding...the ability to modulate at these high levels means that the computations necessary to lock in on the minute variations become even harder.

I have a feeling it has potential, but not for the moment.  Maybe for fixed site emplacement or special needs, but it'll probably be a waiting game for DSP's to catch up.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 09:08:43 AM »
How well would this penetrate obstacles?  The article says "operating between infrared and microwave light" ... we're talking about something that would be blocked by a wood panel, aren't we?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 09:40:30 AM »
How well would this penetrate obstacles?  The article says "operating between infrared and microwave light" ... we're talking about something that would be blocked by a wood panel, aren't we?

Just crank up the wattage more.  :angel:

Especially in municipal areas in cold latitudes. People are chilly there to begin with.  =D
I promise not to duck.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 09:55:59 AM »
Just crank up the wattage more.  :angel:

Especially in municipal areas in cold latitudes. People are chilly there to begin with.  =D

Finally, internet that let's you play COD4, pop your popcorn, and heat your nachos all at the same time....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2012, 10:11:14 AM »

Depends on the frequency and composition of the obstructions. Salt water will pass light well, but not radio.  A sheet of drywall, the reverse. Optical and microwave are generally LOS, yes. There are microwave transparent material.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.