Author Topic: Interesting article on alimony  (Read 7430 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Interesting article on alimony
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 02:02:22 AM »
I have no personal stake in this at all right now.  Never been married.  I have worked with a lot of men who have been divorced.  We don't have alimony in Texas, just splitting of assets and child support.  From all the stories I have heard, how well one comes out of it all depends on how good your lawyer is.  One guy I know has an ex who hasn't been too bad.  Another guy has an ex who constantly sues for more child support if she even thinks he got a little bit of a raise that year. 

It seems to me that if you are going to have alimony, it ought to take into account how many assets are awarded to the wife and what her job prospects are.  Even then, I think a max time limit in law (5 years?) wouldn't be a bad idea. 

What limits do your state's put on alimony?  Is it just something that is up to the judge?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 02:09:49 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:39:23 AM »
I believe Kansas is maxed at 1/3 the time you were married.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 11:09:16 PM »
That was a difficult (long) post to get through, but I think we end up agreeing a lot more than I expected.

There is without a doubt in my mind, no winners in a divorce. That is the most important statement that (I think/hope) we agree on. To me, the rest is the devilish details of what is driving divorce.

To say that one side doesn't get screwed more often is disingenuous at best. Your anecdote does not equal data, for the narrow purpose of this discussion your experiences are irrelevant. If the data says the entire system is strongly biased against men, which is entirely demonstrable by statistics and data, then yes Virginia, that is called men getting screwed.

Why does it matter who loses more in the game that everyone loses at? Because incentives matter, even perverse ones.

You agreed with every major point:
Women are the 70% filers of divorce.
Yet, women are given the children, assets, and child support in the overwhelming cases (approaches 90% if I remember correctly). Don't miss the point, which is that the system is clearly biased. Nobody wins in a divorce, especially children. But perverse incentives matter.

Readily agreeable with all the major indicators of gross bias, but just can't make the leap to accept it?

So then comes the flood of rationalizations, except they ring hollow:
Men and women cheat at approximately the same rate.
Women are just as likely to commit domestic violence.
Assets are white elephants? Thats not even a serious comment.
To say that men are not interested in their own kids is a fairly outrageous statement. You have any real data to back it up?
What often happens is that men know they have no legal recourse for interacting with the kids. As someone trained in law, you should know the phrase "negotiating under shadow of the law". Men are now resigned to passively accept whatever visitation the women will give out of their graciousness. There is no other choice for it.
Don't miss this part:
Even when a court supports visitation rights for the father, there is rarely any actual enforcement.

On the other hand, child support/welfare is strictly enforced. A man who is unable or unwilling to provide the court determined amounts is delivered to debtors prison or levied with liens on income until it is paid.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 11:12:07 PM »
I have no personal stake in this at all right now.  Never been married.  I have worked with a lot of men who have been divorced.  We don't have alimony in Texas, just splitting of assets and child support.  From all the stories I have heard, how well one comes out of it all depends on how good your lawyer is.  One guy I know has an ex who hasn't been too bad.  Another guy has an ex who constantly sues for more child support if she even thinks he got a little bit of a raise that year. 

It seems to me that if you are going to have alimony, it ought to take into account how many assets are awarded to the wife and what her job prospects are.  Even then, I think a max time limit in law (5 years?) wouldn't be a bad idea. 

What limits do your state's put on alimony?  Is it just something that is up to the judge?

Pretty sure MI has a hard line, don't remember what it is though.  Points to ponder:

1) The outcome of virtually everything to do with virtually every type of legal action depends of having a good lawyer.  This is a the biggest reason why I dropped my solo practice.  Wasn't willing to wreck lives while figuring stuff out.  

2) Possibly, if you only get men's opinions, you're going to get a pretty skewed view of things.  

3) It's not only about the judge/court, especially post-judgment.  It's also about the other party.  It is not a court that imposed various difficulties I've dealt with; it was reality and a jackass ex.  It is not a court that is causing me to deal with him now in a civil, productive, somewhat generous way.  It's me; being a decent human being and setting aside old anger in favor of living the moment I'm in instead of rehashing the past.  

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 11:33:40 PM »
Yes, pop and mainstream culture is heavily invested in taking all stigma and judgment out of unwed mothers and divorce. This is so obvious that it baffles me how it could be seriously challenged.
Children out of wedlock is not the politically correct issue, because it cannot be accepted that it is wrong. So instead, the euphemistic issue is teenage pregnancy. Funny, "teenage pregnancy" didn't seem to be an issue years ago when they were typically married.

This has been going on for decades, it started slowly with examples such as:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_Not_the_End_of_the_World

To the modern point of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Stella_Got_Her_Groove_Back
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_Pray_Love

There are even mainstream so-called "Christians" who will praise the "heroic work" of unwed mothers.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 12:05:46 AM »
That was a difficult (long) post to get through, but I think we end up agreeing a lot more than I expected.

Doesn't look like it.

To say that one side doesn't get screwed more often is disingenuous at best. Your anecdote does not equal data, for the narrow purpose of this discussion your experiences are irrelevant.

Untrue.  My experiences are typical, expected even.  

If the data says the entire system is strongly biased against men, which is entirely demonstrable by statistics and data, then yes Virginia, that is called men getting screwed.

Um.  It isn't.  That's kind of what I said.  

Why does it matter who loses more in the game that everyone loses at? Because incentives matter, even perverse ones.

Huh?  So the point of divorce is to win?  Yes, if the point of divorce to one side is to win, then that side will lose.

You agreed with every major point:
Women are the 70% filers of divorce.

Which does not mean that men are being screwed.  It actually doesn't mean anything, other than that women file first 70% of the time.

Yet, women are given the children

No.  Being abandoned together with the children is not the same thing as being given the children.  

assets

Not sure where I said that women are given more of the marital assets than the man.  What I said was that the attitude that by default all the property belongs to the man is setting the man up for bitterness at the result.  Not because the court is biased, but because the man has failed to notice that it's not his property, it's their property.

and child support

You get the children, you get the child support.  I have a very hard time seeing how it would somehow be more fair for a man to not be obligated to contribute to supporting his children.

in the overwhelming cases (approaches 90% if I remember correctly).

What percentage of men are seriously willing to take on full or primary custody?  90% of men are not getting custody does not equal 90% of men being screwed where 87% of men don't want custody.

Don't miss the point, which is that the system is clearly biased.

Nope.  Isn't.  

Readily agreeable with all the major indicators of gross bias, but just can't make the leap to accept it?

Um. No.

So then comes the flood of rationalizations, except they ring hollow:

Well, rationalization could mean "to make some logical sense of" a thing, so in that sense, yep.

Men and women cheat at approximately the same rate.

This is not an established fact.  It is speculation, and it is heavily demographic-dependent.

Women are just as likely to commit domestic violence.

Women are substantially less likely to cause serious injury or to kill their partners.  

Assets are white elephants? Thats not even a serious comment.

Yes, it is.  Assets that are worth nothing when they are sold, and cost more than one can afford in time, strength, energy, and money are not a glorious victory.  They're not a victory at all.  They're the recognition that the kids need a place to sleep, and their house is ideal for this purpose, and dad sure doesn't want to be dad 24/7.

To say that men are not interested in their own kids is a fairly outrageous statement. You have any real data to back it up?

Nope, I'm not tracking down stats.  Don't like using 'em, definitely am not spending my evening doing research.  
Didn't say they're not interested in the kids.  Said they're not interested in being the full-time parent.  

What often happens is that men know they have no legal recourse for interacting with the kids.

They're wrong.

As someone trained in law, you should know the phrase "negotiating under shadow of the law".

I love it when people toss around law-related phrases with that patronizing lil' "you do know about this, don't you?" or similar.

Men are now resigned to passively accept whatever visitation the women will give out of their graciousness. There is no other choice for it.

Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.

Don't miss this part:
Even when a court supports visitation rights for the father, there is rarely any actual enforcement.

I don't know what you mean here.  Does he file a motion?  Does he argue the motion?  Does the judge throw him out?  Does he demand a SWAT tream appear and wrestle the kid away?  What kind of enforcement is lacking that should be implemented?

On the other hand, child support/welfare is strictly enforced. A man who is unable or unwilling to provide the court determined amounts is delivered to debtors prison or levied with liens on income until it is paid.

Yeah, that's why I've thus far worked pretty hard to avoid Friend of the Court.  Seems counterproductive.
But, as a practical matter, it's a lot easier for the court to manage money transfers than child transfers.  

So, um...no.  We do not agree.  We do not agree on what constitutes a screwing or on what factors may be weight and how much weight to give them.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 12:20:35 AM »
Yes, pop and mainstream culture is heavily invested in taking all stigma and judgment out of unwed mothers and divorce. This is so obvious that it baffles me how it could be seriously challenged.

Yes, young movie stars want everyone to love babies and their moms  But that's tv, not life.  On NPR on Monday, I heard a guest ranting about all the usuall bs people say about divorcees.  That's one examplr.  Many more, too tired.  But yes, despite hollywoods best efferts there's still stigma.  A lot of it. 

There are even mainstream so-called "Christians" who will praise the "heroic work" of unwed mothers.

More power to 'em.  I'm not down with single mom-hood being inherently heroic.  However, I personally as pretty damned heroic. 

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2012, 09:06:12 AM »
Children out of wedlock is not the politically correct issue, because it cannot be accepted that it is wrong. So instead, the euphemistic issue is teenage pregnancy. Funny, "teenage pregnancy" didn't seem to be an issue years ago when they were typically married.

Mind you, I am not of your faith. I honestly don't know what the "proper" answer is, but I recall that there are several dozen schisms of Christianity so I image the answer is... fragmented. Unless, of course, one claims to be the one true schism and spurns all other schisms as heretical.

I've read the Bible a couple times. Jesus was not really happy with sin, but seemed to associate more with sinners seeking redemption than he did with the folks that legalistically followed scripture.  If I recall correctly, and I may not be, the Synoptic Gospels heavily focused on Pharisees being concerned with man-made rules, Jesus being concerned with God's love, Pharisees scorning sinners and Jesus seeking them out.

Perhaps I am missing your concept of proper Christian conduct (rather than so-called "Christians") towards unwed mothers and other sinners. It certainly sounds like your way is more akin to following the Pharisee (as portrayed in the Bible) than Jesus. I think I'm likely wrong, but honestly, that's how it sounds from your post. I would honestly like to hear why you think being supportive of the personhood of an unwed mother is contrary to Christianity. I can see not being down with the act of extramarital nookie, but I thought Christianity disassociated the soul from actions, with a concentration on faith and worship of your deity. Basically, you could be an axe welding atheist murderer, but if you converted, repented, sincerely worshiped your deity, etc, you went to to Heaven anyways.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2012, 11:35:41 PM »
Huh, well that was disappointing. I was hoping to hear the other side of the story, with facts and evidence. Something to learn from... instead you got nothin' more substantive than
Nope.  Isn't.  
Never mind then.
By the way, there were things you said that I agree with, I just didn't draw them out for attention because that would be a boring distraction to an otherwise interesting start. Maybe that wasn't clear.

Rev,
Jesus was more than just "not really happy with sin", He and the Father hate sin. But they do love the sinner. A good metaphor is a parent who still loves the child who makes self destructive choices. Parents can hate the drug use <or substitute other bad choice> but love their child. The parent can even take severely harsh measures in proportion to the problem and still cry over the situation.

The way you phrase the lead in, I wonder if our definitions of legalism are different. My concept of legalism, and exemplified by the Pharisees, is using legal loopholes to do whatever the selfish heart wants while covering themselves in the appearance of rightness/ holiness. So when I think of legalism, I think of the example in Mark 7 -
For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and mother,’ and, ‘Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.’ But you say that if anyone declares that what might have been used to help their father or mother is Corban (that is, devoted to God)— then you no longer let them do anything for their father or mother. Thus you nullify the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And you do many things like that.”
Do you have a different working definition?

In regards to your last paragraph, I don't hate the personhood of out of wedlock mothers and divorcees nor do I advocate shunning them for life. Perhaps >I know< I am not a good at explaining / debating, us left brain folks aren't usually good with words. I am still trying to expand my skills.

But as the previous parent/child metaphor tried to show, forgiveness and love for the person is a different thing than to praise them for making such awful choices and bearing the consequences of it. Taking that old metaphor further, I wouldn't praise a drug addict for the "heroic" behavior of surviving homelessness. Is it an awful and very tough situation - absolutely. Would I support their recovery - absolutely.
So that hopefully clears up what I am speaking against- a pop culture and pseudo Christianity that provides cover for what is quite clearly immoral.  The cover signals to others that it is ok to make the same choice. This is just one piece in the system of incentives.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 12:11:02 AM »
I think the "legalism" in that reference is more about the bureaucratic oppression.  The one rule was that no work could be done on the Sabbath.  As I understand it, there were and are a thousand or more rules and regulations and rulings on what constitutes work and what could and could not be done when it could have just remained simple.  I think the definition my pastor had in mind was more akin to worshiping the Law instead of the God who created it.  I am sure there are a hundred ways to approach it.

To me, the whole thing is a good warning of the dangers of a theocracy.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 01:05:50 AM »
Thank you drewtam, for making it very clear that you are not worth my time. 

Also for apparently determining that having been abandoned by one's husband is a sin for which women should justly suffer, because after all it's our own fault.

But it's terrible how men get screwed what with being made to financially support their children.

Very enlightening. 

Yeah, I think the liberals are all crazy.  A "war on women'?  What kind of lunacy could possibly have put that thought in their silly little heads.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 04:15:15 AM »
There is an old saying: If the shoe fits, wear it.
Of course a logical person would infer that it also means if the shoe doesn't fit don't jam your foot into it and then whine that it isn't your size.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 08:09:56 AM »
It is unfortunate you feel that way, because I said nothing of the sort, nor intended it that way. I think that is clear to everyone but you.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 08:12:55 AM »
It is unfortunate you feel that way, because I said nothing of the sort, nor intended it that way. I think that is clear to everyone but you.

You've basically equated all "single mothers" with "women who have children out of wedlock".

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 08:26:30 AM »
I didn't re4ad it that way.
There is a difference between "unwed mother" and "single mother". Unwed mother is generally accepted to mean as having a child out of wedlock.Single mother can mean either divorced or widowed.
And while the divorce rate is far too high in this country there are situations when it is the absolutely the right thing to do.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 09:51:35 AM »
Thank you drewtam, for making it very clear that you are not worth my time. 

Also for apparently determining that having been abandoned by one's husband is a sin for which women should justly suffer, because after all it's our own fault.

But it's terrible how men get screwed what with being made to financially support their children.

Very enlightening. 

Yeah, I think the liberals are all crazy.  A "war on women'?  What kind of lunacy could possibly have put that thought in their silly little heads.

Easy there, BR. Yes, sometimes, that is exactly what happens. Sometimes, not. It's an individual thing with no fast or hard rules. And yes, social conservatives can make bat excrement crazy assertions/laws/etc and not even realize how bat excrement crazy it actually is. "War on women" is marketing fluff like every other war on a noun, but obviously with enough truth to make things nice and murky.

Call me funny, but I really support the concept of "if you really don't want to be with your spouse, yea, no excrement. Change things or bail." OTOH, I have an overdeveloped sense of honor that one would think I would have grown out of by now. One can be supportive of the freedom to marry who one pleases and freedom to break that marriage if a party doesn't care for the arrangement for any or no reason, and still not be personally happy with abandonment. 

Problem is, both genders have their own viewpoints and often have a hard time conceptualizing things from the other side. It's usually worse when a person especially thinks they can. See the more vocal feminists and ultra social conservative politicians. Both are equally bad at seeing things from the opposing viewpoint, and thus should both be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism.

I think the "legalism" in that reference is more about the bureaucratic oppression.  The one rule was that no work could be done on the Sabbath.  As I understand it, there were and are a thousand or more rules and regulations and rulings on what constitutes work and what could and could not be done when it could have just remained simple.  I think the definition my pastor had in mind was more akin to worshiping the Law instead of the God who created it.  I am sure there are a hundred ways to approach it.

To me, the whole thing is a good warning of the dangers of a theocracy.  

That was my take as well. Legalism = bureaucratic oppression. In this case, at least the appearance of worship of the law overcoming the worship of the deity in question. There is obviously no possible way to objectively measure the level of worship, so one has to deal with the perceptions alone.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 03:29:04 PM »
You've basically equated all "single mothers" with "women who have children out of wedlock".

Don't forget drug addicts. Them too.

The seminal sentence is where DT, in explaining how he loves the sinner and hate the sin (allegedly) was "I don't hate...unwed mothers or divorcees."

I have a real hard time seeing how listing divorcees in a post about sin and sinners and the misfortunes they deserve does not indicate exactly what I pointed out last night.

Perhaps other people are not realizing to which post I was responding. In any case, I have felt distinctly and increasingly unwelcome here, and just as I was not surprised to see another thread demonizing women who divorce, I'm not surprised that a total of one other person read what I read, which was not some goof interpretation, but the plain meaning of what you said, according to rules of construction involving lists and indicating inclusion/exclusion.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »
BR - I'll be the first to say that life has dealt you an absolute [censored] sandwich.  I can't imagine what being screwed over by your (now ex) husband and then abandoned feels like.  And no one would blame you for that experience having colored your perceptions.  Realistically, it's impossible for something like that to NOT color your perceptions.  I'm sorry if some of the things that have been discussed make you feel like you're not welcome.  I don't think anyone on here would want you to leave, regardless of how much they may disagree with you.  You're very much part of this crazy dysfunctional family we all call APS.  

I'll be the first to say, I haven't been following this thread all that closely, but I just went back and tried to read through it.  I honestly don't see where Drewtam was equating YOUR circumstances with what he was describing.  I'll be honest, when I read his reference to divorcees, I read the "serial monogamists" who after being married for a while, decided they don't want to be with that person any more and bail out.  I won't argue the merits of that position, because while I think the divorce rate in this country is way too high, and I think that the ubiquitous "irreconcileable differences" is used as an excuse way too often, I won't put my moral opinions onto another person.  That doesn't mean that I approve of their behavior, or that I condone it in any way.  But I can't hold them to my moral standards.  And in no way do I hate them for their behavior.  

I have a good friend who recently left her husband.  She didn't leave because she didn't love him, or because he was abusive, or even because he cheated.  She left him because he got hooked on methamphetamine and other drugs, and refused to try to get clean.  she gave him chance after chance to change, but ultimately she had to do what was best for her and her kids.  In no way do I consider her choice wrong.  And even holding it to a strict biblical standard, I can't see that her choice is wrong.  Neither do I see that your choice was wrong.  And I'm betting that Drewtam doesn't think your choice was wrong either, but I won't put words in his mouth.  

And if you read the next sentence after what you call the seminal sentence....  

In regards to your last paragraph, I don't hate the personhood of out of wedlock mothers and divorcees nor do I advocate shunning them for life. Perhaps >I know< I am not a good at explaining / debating, us left brain folks aren't usually good with words. I am still trying to expand my skills.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 05:10:14 PM by AmbulanceDriver »
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 01:17:02 AM »
Easy there, BR.

I have no idea what that is supposed to mean.

Yes, sometimes, that is exactly what happens. Sometimes, not. It's an individual thing with no fast or hard rules.

Yeah.  I said that.  A couple posts back. 

"War on women" is marketing fluff like every other war on a noun, but obviously with enough truth to make things nice and murky.

Yes.  I was alluding to the "enough truth...etc."  It is not a phrase concocted by the Vast Left Wing Fantasy.  It reflects some very real, very despicable trends. 

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 02:23:23 AM »
BR - I'll be the first to say that life has dealt you an absolute [censored] sandwich.

Which isn't the issue, but I've had a real bitch of a week, and appreciate the sentiment.  Not as much as if it wasn't being used to discredit my opinion, but still.

I can't imagine what being screwed over by your (now ex) husband and then abandoned feels like.

Which isn't the issue.  Not everything I say, not even everything I say about my life, is about how cruddy it feels to be me.  Aside from the whole overwork/exhaustion thing, it feels pretty good.

And no one would blame you for that experience having colored your perceptions.

So, I have your permission to be unable to carry on a reasonable discussion?

Realistically, it's impossible for something like that to NOT color your perceptions.

...In fact, I'm presumptively unreasonable.  Gee, thanks.

I'm sorry if some of the things that have been discussed make you feel like you're not welcome.

Can't imagine why several people piling on about how wrong it is of me to read the words that were written instead of what they assumed those words really meant would be a little disturbing.  But the reasons why I feel ill-at-ease on APS are a bit more complicated.

I don't think anyone on here would want you to leave, regardless of how much they may disagree with you.

I can guarantee you that you are incorrect on that point. 

I'll be the first to say, I haven't been following this thread all that closely, but I just went back and tried to read through it.  I honestly don't see where Drewtam was equating YOUR circumstances with what he was describing.

He wasn't.  I'm not actually divorced at this point.  But you also entirely missed my point.  My entire point was that DT summed up divorce as men getting screwed by the system.  He then cited general statistics about divorce to back up his assertions.  Statistics that include a lot of circumstances like mine, and those of the other women whose situations I mentioned.  You cannot take statistics about all divorces, apply all of them to a few particular types of situations, and from that draw a conclusion about all divorces. 

My point, quite specifically, was that DT was ignoring the substantial number of circumstances like mine and the many ways they shape the statistics he was mis-using. 

Or did you mean with the whole sinning thing?  No, I didn't particularly think he was talking about me.  But I still find it offensive and a little sickening that apparently a whole bunch of you think it's reasonable to sum up divorce as men getting screwed by sinful women.   

Almost as offensive and sickening as I find it that a whole bunch of people will argue relentlessly in defense of calling a woman slut for using birth control and disagreeing with them.

I'll be honest, when I read his reference to divorcees, I read the "serial monogamists" who after being married for a while, decided they don't want to be with that person any more and bail out.

Funny, when I read the reference to divorcees, I read it as a reference to divorcees.

...I think that the ubiquitous "irreconcileable differences" is used as an excuse way too often,

Um, in many/most states, that is the only reason ever listed in the pleadings, to avoid arguments of fault within the plea for the divorce itself. 

I have a good friend who recently left her husband.  She didn't leave because she didn't love him, or because he was abusive, or even because he cheated.  She left him because he got hooked on methamphetamine and other drugs, and refused to try to get clean.  she gave him chance after chance to change, but ultimately she had to do what was best for her and her kids.  In no way do I consider her choice wrong.  And even holding it to a strict biblical standard, I can't see that her choice is wrong.  Neither do I see that your choice was wrong.  And I'm betting that Drewtam doesn't think your choice was wrong either, but I won't put words in his mouth.

I don't care what DT thinks of my marital situation.  He doesn't know much about it, and what he does know doesn't matter in any material way.  And if he did, his opinion on the matter would still not be important to me.

What does matter is that unpartnered parents face some pretty pervasive problems.  Those problems can only be worsened by people presuming that a woman who has children but no husband is a sinner who "deserves" a difficult life.  I have a problem with that.  I will continue to say so.

Even if you all think I'd being ridiculous.

If I was actually looking for some assurance that DT didn't mean to call me a sinner, or that APS in general approves of my marital break-up, there'd probably be better ways to go about getting those assurances than posting the messages I've posted in this thread.

And I called it the seminal sentence because it contained the basic thought that he expanded in his next two paragraphs to fit into his worldview.