Author Topic: yup, saved it again!  (Read 2388 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
yup, saved it again!
« on: March 24, 2012, 04:09:00 PM »
about 10 years ago we bought 2 rta computer chairs from office depot.  with rebate it it was around $100 for the pair.  suffice it to say that the one i use regularly has had its share of issues.  frome black tape on the small rips here and there to rewlding the main seat post base.  it finally got to the point where i didn't dare let the kids sit on my lap as it felt so rickitty.  i had checked all the external screws, but found that one of the internal plates was loose.  with a 4 little slits cut in descrete locations, i was able to tighten the internal machine screws, and 'viola'....should be good for another 5 years!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: yup, saved it again!
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 05:47:59 PM »
You're like me.  Repair everthing.  Even if I don't want it any more, just for the challenge.  A little more diffficult now that I'm in an apartment and don't have a shop and electronic instruments any more. 

But you ought to see my kitchen table. 

Tools, unguided, just lying there, all pointing to the current project.  Pliers, open-jawed, facing the broken "thing," ready to pounce on it.  Screwdrivers idly eyeing that "thing."  Other "things," back-burnered, bated, await further attention.  A melange of pencils, protractors, dial calipers (can't abide electronic calipers), scribbled notes with dimensions on them for forgotten parts, two small clamp-on vises, which marred and dented the table's surface, rendering it useless for polite company.... as if I had any polite friends.  Remnants of a piece of clotheshanger I used to repair a belt buckle.

There, over by the little CRT TV set I keep on the kitchen table, a 50 microamp meter I will someday use for a Field Strength Meter... as if I really do any antenna work nowadays, my only antennas being the rubber duckies on my 2 meter handheld ham rigs.

But.... "black tape?"  Shame on you.  But I'm sure you really meant to say "duct tape," didn't you?  There's still time to amend your post.

"Black tape," indeed.

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 05:57:51 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 07:14:46 PM »
alas, no black duct tape in the present inventory.  maybe with the repair working out so well it will be in the near future.  current stock is 2" wide black (gasp) masking tape.

my mom used to cringe with my kitchen table projects in the wintertime.  one of them left a neat little 1/8" hole cleanly placed near the edge. (i could have sworn it was gonna miss.)  to my credit, i would always cover the table with newspaper.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 07:49:38 PM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 04:10:48 AM »
Yes, "black tape"!

It comes in two varities - a roll of cloth matrix impregnated with some sort of sticky stuff, and a plastic/vinyl ribbon.  The first one not only holds things together but provides a tacky non-slip grip.  The second one is reported to be able to make a waterproof seal, although an example of that outside of advertising has never been observed.

I have heard rumors of tape made of silicone that comes in colors including black.  It is supposed to stretch, seal by mere contact with itself, and be able to make a seal when immersed in either water or pretroleum, and be resistant to open flame.  Since either of the two above continue to meet my needs I have not gone looking for this new type of black tape.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 08:07:04 PM »
Gorilla makes a black duct tape. I'm getting old & weak but I had to cut, not tear that crap! :O
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
"It comes in two varieties - a roll of cloth matrix impregnated with some sort of sticky stuff, and a plastic/vinyl ribbon.  The first one not only holds things together but provides a tacky non-slip grip."

Yeah, we used to wrap baseball and stickball bats with that when we were kids for the grippage. Do they still do that?  I remember my Pop used to call it "friction tape."
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
"It comes in two varieties - a roll of cloth matrix impregnated with some sort of sticky stuff, and a plastic/vinyl ribbon.  The first one not only holds things together but provides a tacky non-slip grip."

Yeah, we used to wrap baseball and stickball bats with that when we were kids for the grippage. Do they still do that?  I remember my Pop used to call it "friction tape."

I don't know about bats, but I know hockey players still use it. Hockey tape is awesome. Good for grippage, but just a good tape in general. If you can find the wider varieties, it makes a great reinforcement for the spines of old, well-worn books.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 09:31:13 AM »
The second one is reported to be able to make a waterproof seal, although an example of that outside of advertising has never been observed.

Get the stuff cable and satellite installers use.  Not only is it waterproof, it seals to itself to the point you have to cut it off.

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2012, 05:16:39 PM »
"Gaffer's Tape" is of the black cloth variety, and comes off cleanly even if it's been stuck for a while to something.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage