Author Topic: Teaching kids to shoot with distance and caliber changes  (Read 843 times)

redscabbard

Teaching kids to shoot with distance and caliber changes
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:45:27 PM »

Hubby is whispering in my ear... wants me to post a question.

With teaching kids to shoot rifles:

Is there a correlation between caliber and distance with the way you use the sight.
ie: sighting in a .22 at 50 yards is the same as a .308 at X yards?

He is trying to explain to munchkins that range time with a .22 will help them with higher caliber and longer distances, without the expensive ammo and need for extra space. 

Thanks in advance!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Re: Teaching kids to shoot with distance and caliber changes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 12:03:52 AM »
Tell your hubby to call me tomorrow sometime.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 01:13:15 AM »
Yes.  The basics are the same within any platform, say bolt action rifles, and vary little across platforms.  The scaling you are looking at is a matter of fairly simple math and a big reason so many shooters speak in terms of angular measure.  The Wikipedia article on metallic silhouette shows how targets are scaled for different ranges.

The ballistics program at the Norma web site offers pretty good graphics and sliders for fast exploration of changes.  Take a look.  You will need Java.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 01:26:03 AM by Chuck Dye »
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:58:20 AM »
He is trying to explain to munchkins that range time with a .22 will help them with higher caliber and longer distances, without the expensive ammo and need for extra space. 

He is correct.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 08:15:26 AM »
Time spent with the smaller calibers is a good time to work on fundamentals.  Sight alignment, sight picture, trigger pull and breathing.  Get that to where it's automatic and they'll be x-ringing the 1,000 with the .308
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
what they said, plus smaller calibers are better in that you don't learn to flinch at the thought of the recoil.   besides that, .22 is just fun to shoot.  my favorite plincker is my .22 revolver.  maybe that is just because i am cheap broke  frugal.

as a reminder, be sure everyone is using proper ear and eye protection, and following the 4 rules!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:56:41 AM by geronimotwo »
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 09:51:52 AM »
I was also thinking that with .22, it is easier to see and understand trajectory and bullet drop at shorter distances. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge