Author Topic: Post nuclear war movies  (Read 4068 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Post nuclear war movies
« on: March 31, 2012, 11:01:06 AM »
I have been on a bit of a kick lately watching post-nuclear war movies.  This is an area where the Brits have it all over us. I can recommend two in particular: the War Game and Threads.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2023790698427111488 (Threads)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2864871032688882557 (the War Game)

Interesting depictions of an industrial society after a nuclear exchange.  These are way better than the Day After.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Phyphor

• friend
Re: Post nuclear war movies
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 12:06:03 PM »
Do you play computer games at all? If so, check out the Fallout series...
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 02:05:12 PM »
I remember watching Threads, but never heard of The War Game. Thanks.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
The Postman (post apocalyptic but I'm not sure if it was a nuke war)
On the Beach
Planet of the Apes
A Boy and His Dog
Mad Max

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:42:51 PM »
Can't leave out The Day After.

I think it changed some peoples thinking about nuclear war.

If your up for a "Wow, somebody made this?" type of movie try the post apocalyptic version of Beowulf.  :-X

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 11:07:48 PM »
I have been on a bit of a kick lately watching post-nuclear war movies.  This is an area where the Brits have it all over us. I can recommend two in particular: the War Game and Threads.

Yes, both are quite good (and by "good" I mean depressing as hell).  Despite being dated and having an extremely low budget, The War Game is still effective at giving one the heebie-jeebies.  It makes The Day After look almost cartoonish.  The narrator with the Very Serious Delivery certainly helps.

More broadly speaking, the Brits have a knack for post-apocalyptic fiction (28 Days Later, Things to Come) that Hollywood hasn't been able to match.
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 12:06:31 AM »
If your up for a "Wow, somebody made this?" type of movie try the post apocalyptic version of Beowulf.  :-X

Saw it. You summed it up neatly.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/314876/beowulf
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 12:46:06 AM »
Book of Eli

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 09:56:10 AM »
Yes, both are quite good (and by "good" I mean depressing as hell).  Despite being dated and having an extremely low budget, The War Game is still effective at giving one the heebie-jeebies.  It makes The Day After look almost cartoonish.  The narrator with the Very Serious Delivery certainly helps.

More broadly speaking, the Brits have a knack for post-apocalyptic fiction (28 Days Later, Things to Come) that Hollywood hasn't been able to match.

The BBC did not show The War Game on television until 1985, 20 years after it was made.  It was judged too disturbing to be watched.  It was finally broadcast after as part of a special series on nuclear war that also included Threads.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:57 AM »
Twilight: BEST POST-NUKE-WAR MOVIE EVAR!!!!!11

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 01:36:42 PM »
Two things I have against disaster movies in general and nuclear war movies in specific...

1 Despite the movies showing rape, pillage and everyman for himself. Experience such as 9/11 (and even Katrina) showed people are usually willing to help people. In the case of 9/11 too many people stayed behind helping the slow rather than getting out when they had the chance. When all those folks needed to get off the island, most merchant vessels created an emergency ferrying service without being asked, and without any gov't direction.

2 The impact of radiation and fallout always seems to be projected as the end of the world. "Nuclear winter" and unregenerate bleak landscapes are the tradition. But having been to Hiroshima and seen the trees that survived and regenerated, it makes me skeptical of that vision.

This is why I will never be a good story teller. I would tell an upbeat apocalypse.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 03:16:38 PM »
Two things I have against disaster movies in general and nuclear war movies in specific...

1 Despite the movies showing rape, pillage and everyman for himself. Experience such as 9/11 (and even Katrina) showed people are usually willing to help people. In the case of 9/11 too many people stayed behind helping the slow rather than getting out when they had the chance. When all those folks needed to get off the island, most merchant vessels created an emergency ferrying service without being asked, and without any gov't direction.

I think most of the post-apocalyptic moves focus on the long-range future, after all of the coming-together-in-a-time-of-crisis has worn off, and people are simply doing what they feel is in their self-interest.

I think most disaster movies show both sides of it; the looters, and the people helping others.

As far as people being opportunistic in a crisis, it does happen. Eg., post-Katrina looting, etc.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2012, 03:38:23 PM »
I am watching Godzilla now on one of the pay channels.  I might have to start another thread about BS in monster movies.  

I agree with drewtam's comments.  Civilization has a lot of momentum going for it.  I think it would take a while and a lot of hardship for that to change.

On the other hand, without good water supply, areas like Southern California might turn into pretty bad places
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 03:45:43 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2012, 11:51:23 PM »
without good water supply, areas like Southern California might turn into pretty bad places

And that would be different, how ???

:P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 06:58:20 AM »
And that would be different, how ???

:P
Perhaps I should say they might actually look like those desert wastelands in the movies once they have millions of people bumping around and little water. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 09:42:30 AM »
Perhaps I should say they might actually look like those desert wastelands in the movies once they have millions of people bumping around and little water. 

After a week or two, there wouldn't be millions of people bumping around anymore.

Disease running through those crowding around the remaining available sources would winnow down the rest quite a bit too.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:22 PM »
After a week or two, there wouldn't be millions of people bumping around anymore.

Disease running through those crowding around the remaining available sources would winnow down the rest quite a bit too.

So, a vast improvement  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin