Author Topic: CZ75B or CZ75SA vs Browning Hi Power  (Read 5542 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
CZ75B or CZ75SA vs Browning Hi Power
« on: April 02, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »
Thinking about a 9x19 pistol. 

I am partial to SA C&L carry.  Also, if I am to tote a europellet-shooter, I might as well tote a bunch of them.  So, service-auto sized double stack.  That narrows it down to a few, of which the CZ75 and BHP most interest me.

Any of ya'll own both?  I have fired a couple CZ75B pistols, but never the BHP.  How do they stack up?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

HankB

• friend
Re: CZ75B or CZ75SA vs Browning Hi Power
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:20:01 AM »
CZ75 pistols are SA/DA, but can be carried cocked and locked. They're well made and reliable, but the location of the safety doesn't fall as naturally under my thumb as that on a BHP or 1911 - it's just a little bit out of place, which is why I didn't buy one after trying it.

I frequently carry a Mk III BHP. Just a little lighter than the CZ, it's reliable & well made - almost the ideal full size 9mm service pistol - but there are two criticisms: they'e shipped with a magazine disconnect (easily remedied) and the trigger reset is a little on the long side. "Pointability" in my hand is nearly perfect and the safety lever and slide release are in the right place.

The BHP also costs a bit more than the CZ, but having a gun that fits is worth the extra cost.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:24:51 AM »
Get a Glock.

Sorry, had to do it.

I've fired the CZ75B and Browning HP, but not side by side.  Because there were years between the two firings, I have a hard time making a valid comparison, but I *think* I liked the HP better.  However, you might be able to get two CZ75Bs for the price of one "real" Browning HP (or come close to it).

I have small hands, so any doublestack gun that fits me well gets a nod.  As much as I like the capacity and function of the Beretta 9mm, the grip doesn't fit my raccoon hands well at all.

I shot both well, but the HP was a bit more svelte. 

Chris

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 06:56:49 AM »
IMO, if you are looking at carry, take a look at the CZ 75 P01 and SP01.  The P01 is the compact version with a rail.  Mine has proven very reliable and is fairly compact and easy to carry with regard to size and has a 14 round mag.  The SP01 is a larger version with an 18 round mag.  For me, I prefer the versions that have the decocker rather than the safety.  The decocker rotates clockwise and is very easy to activate with the thumb.  I guess I am not much on safeties.  I'd rather have a good DA trigger than a safety.

I've never fired a BHP.  Something I'll have to pick up one day.

Thread veer:
If you want to part from those two out, look at two guns:
the Springfield Armory XDm 3.8 9mm.  It is pretty compact and light with a 19 round mag.  It is lighter fully loaded than my CZ, though it is polymer.  
I picked up an FN FNP9 not too long ago.  The price was just under $400.  It is a pretty handy pistol to shoot with good capacity (16 round mag).  It is SA/DA also.  The only downside is the DA trigger sucks while the SA trigger is very good.  Other than the trigger, I figure it is better than the Sigmas and Taurus pistols in the cheaper price ranges.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 08:16:13 AM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:04 AM »
Never fired a CZ 75, although I put a couple of rounds through their poly (P-07 duty?) framed 9. Nice gun, nothing amazing.

I did however, just pick up a 50's (I think) build FN High Power from Sarco.  60 yrs old, beat up finish, and aftermarket Houge grips I don't like.  I've only had it to the range once so far, but it's a really cool shooter.  Fun, accurate, fast and easy to shoot.  Like when I started with 1911's my BHP was almost instinctually easy to shoot fast and well.  It was easy to see why it's so popular.

For a shooter, I'd go BHP all the way.  For carry, I have to note that a new Browning is like $300 more then a new CZ.  I think a High Power is a better gun in many ways, but the CZ is a solid performer as well.  I'd probably let the amount you want to spend dictate the choice.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
You really can't go wrong with either a CZ-75b or a Hi-Power. Personally, I prefer the Hi-Power, but some day I'll probably own a CZ-75 just to say I own a CZ-75.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 06:05:37 PM »
Have had multiple examples of both, sorta-kinda prefer the CZ.  I think the CZ is more likely to be reliable out of the box than the P35.  Both pointed well for me.  I think the safety position of the CZ is preferable. If I had to go get one or the other, I would pick the CZ.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 07:34:12 PM »
Browning HP (and get the MkIII version). I prefer it vastly to the CZ-75, and yes, I owned both. And sold both. The CZ-75 because I did not like it. The slide has less area to grip and mine came from the factory with the wonderful feature of a grip screw being crossthreaded which promptly broke off flush with the frame. The Browning because it was a much older 1961 version that would have cost way too much to bring up to date.

Get the Browning. Get a MkIII. Get the magazine safety removed. Enjoy the bliss. The browning also feels like a much slimmer pistol and was one of the best carrying pistols I have ever picked up bar none.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2012, 11:09:59 PM »
Oddly enough, I was at the range last Saturday with my neighbor and his friend and we had my BHP and neighbor's CZ-75.  The CZ has an aftermarket trigger (I think) and sear (I'm sure) and my BHP is a MkII/MkIII transition model (It has the safety only on the left side, the sights are the small GI style but the extractor is in the ejection port) made in 1985.  I have left the magazine safety in but I have polished the shoe that impinges on the top front of the magazine and I also polished the top front surface of each magazine.  This has eliminated most of the grittiness in the trigger and it is now consistant and about five and a half pounds.  The first stage take-up is smooth and the let-off is consistant.  I'm sure if I polished more of the sear, hammer and trigger surfaces, I could get the pull down but I like it.  It has more than a couple of thousand rounds through it so it is well broken in.  It's been my favorite auto pistol for quite some time in spite of the so-so sights.

The CZ is brand new as is the trigger kit in it so it will need a few hundred trigger pulls to get is broken in.  It's an OK pistol and, since we get to the range a fair amount, I'll be able to give a more objective report on it in a few months.  Maybe when I get more familiar with it I'll like it better.

On another, but related note, we had three 1911's with us also.  I have a 1918 M1911 which I believe is a "Black Army Colt", neighbor guy has a pretty new Springfield Armory stainless steel M1911A1 and the neighbor's friend brought along his well-broken-in nickel Series 70 Gold Cup.  Mmm, I now have pistol envy.  The GC has a trigger job and nice sights and is a fine shooter.  Mine is what it is, an old (really old) government model and the Springfield is a decent, modern example of the 1911.  The Springfield needs a few hundred trigger pulls and some action work to smooth it out but the sights are pretty good.  M1911s are my second favorite auto pistol.

I guess this turned into a range day report so I'll pull it back on track by saying: "Get a MkIII Browning High-Power, you won't be disappointed."

Russ

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:20 PM »
So what kind of prices do you see for new or used BHP's?  The store down the road has a nice looking used one at about $699.  That is a bit steep for me.  I'll have to wait for an opportunity to try one I guess.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »
So what kind of prices do you see for new or used BHP's?  The store down the road has a nice looking used one at about $699.  That is a bit steep for me.  I'll have to wait for an opportunity to try one I guess.

~$450
http://www.armedpolitesociety.com/index.php?topic=34064.0

=D

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:24:07 PM »
You don't want one of those for a CCW gun, though.

True, although Mech didn't mention carry, just that he wanted one.

ETA: Sarco is also advertising $275 Israeli and Hungarian HP clones, to add to your collection.  The FEG's could make a good carry Hi Power.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:29:57 PM by dogmush »