Author Topic: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  (Read 5648 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 03:44:19 PM »
How do you say a 3 man band has a rythm section? 

I used to think I was a Rush fan.  Then I met a guy I worked with who would not only see Rush play locally, but would take vacation to see Rush play in other cities.  I think the last time I heard about, he saw them in Las Vegas and then flew to Colorado to see them again. 
IMO, there is just some stuff you hear Rush do with their music that you don't see or hear anyone else do.  They have a unique sound.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 03:47:15 PM »
Rush?
meh.

Now as far as bands that should be in the RRHoF....

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7B5jXYRy3Q

can I get a witness?
meh.  I have heard a few songs that I can remember by them and really didn't know what the big deal was.  I sort of figured some bands you just had to be high to like. 

Can't like every band.  I think I have actually pissed off people I knew because I wasn't slobbering over some favorite band of theirs. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 03:54:17 PM »
Rush?
meh.

Now as far as bands that should be in the RRHoF....

GRAND FUNK RAILROAD!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8MYsii4DZY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7B5jXYRy3Q

can I get a witness?

meh.  I have heard a few songs that I can remember by them and really didn't know what the big deal was.  I sort of figured some bands you just had to be high to like. 

Can't like every band.  I think I have actually pissed off people I knew because I wasn't slobbering over some favorite band of theirs. 

Possibly their biggest hit:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkpPqgfHMU

And a song that APS ought to like:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I84S9cR2TE
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 04:20:05 PM »
I am a fan of the older Rush music.
Somewhere around Power Windows, they seemed to try and move into pop music.
I did learn a new appreciation for them years ago from a friend who is a drummer.
He told me to listen carefully, and that the drums, vocals and guitars were literally perfectly in sync.
He was right, as their chord changes are perfectly matched, making the band very, very tight.
Their newer stuff, though, I have just not warmed up to...........
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2012, 04:42:37 PM »
How do you say a 3 man band has a rythm section? 

The part of a music combo that carries the lead(s) is a rhythm section.  
These instruments provide the backbone to the song - The groove.
In a rock and roll band, bass guitar and drums are typically called the Rhythm Section
Sometimes a good piano or Hammond player can fall in and put down the bottom.

"Rhythm" guitarists do it, too, but generally speaking, with bass and drums, the "rhythm" guitarist covers the middle of the beat.  A good bluegrass guitarist, playing a rhythm assignment, will play a little further up the measure than even the bass, actually pulling the rest of the instruments through the composition.

A good band of soloists can fall into place and pick up the groove while the others jam.  It's a nuance.  

It's not tone, it's not volume, it's not speed, it's where the instrument(s) fall in around the beat.

Listen to the first cut off Brubeck's Time Out Album  - Blue Rondo a'la Turk - It's got more rhythm in the first minute than all of Canada combined  (Cockburn excepted).
And it's only piano and alto sax.  But it honors the beat. A funky, unheard 9/8, but it's played right there.

Rhythm.
Beat.
Drive.
Bottom.
Groove.
Roger  was wrong about the singer making the music move along.  It's the rhythm section.  

Incorrigible -  impervious to constraints or punishment; willful; unruly; uncontrollable: an incorrigible child; incorrigible hair.  
7-11 was a part time job.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 07:39:39 PM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:08 PM »
The singer on Tom Sawyer is a guy?!?! Not trolling, I always turn the radio when that song comes on so I didn't know anything about it. But damn... That really does sound like a woman.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2012, 07:53:07 AM »
Yeah.  So is the singer of Stairway to Heaven. 

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2012, 07:57:53 AM »

Possibly their biggest hit:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GkpPqgfHMU

And a song that APS ought to like:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I84S9cR2TE
Okay, I've heard that first one quite often on classic rock radio.  Pretty good song.  Take that off the long list of songs I've heard a lot, but never knew the band who played them.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 09:34:57 AM »
I am a fan of the older Rush music.
Somewhere around Power Windows, they seemed to try and move into pop music.
I did learn a new appreciation for them years ago from a friend who is a drummer.
He told me to listen carefully, and that the drums, vocals and guitars were literally perfectly in sync.
He was right, as their chord changes are perfectly matched, making the band very, very tight.
Their newer stuff, though, I have just not warmed up to...........

I can't think of any band that can pull of transistions like RUSH, listen to "Closer to the Heart"
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 11:23:15 AM »
Yeah.  So is the singer of Stairway to Heaven. 

I dunno, generally dudes singing falsetto are recognizable (I like The Darkness, for heaven's sake) but that song really doesn't sound like a guy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
Rush could very much be considered a Conservative/Right Wing/Ayn Randian band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWHEcIbhDiw

along with the aforementioned Red Barchetta, Freewill, A Farewell to Kings, etc....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.