Author Topic: Cosmoline FTW!  (Read 1573 times)

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
Cosmoline FTW!
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:36:17 PM »
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
Re: Cosmoline FTW!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 10:07:39 PM »
We'll see if this is really for real if/when they actually make it UK soil.  And, good as cosmo is, I'd honestly be surprised if the airframes were still rebuildable.  My guess is, if they can Frankenplane a few flying examples from all the non-corroded bits from all the different airframes they'll be lucky.
Formerly sumpnz

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
i wonder if the engines were installed?  the military has been known to store radials in nitrogen filled containers for decades without problems.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 12:14:30 AM »
The airframes were still in crates, so I'd guess the engines were not installed.  I think the chances of the airframes or engines surviving in rebuildable condition are slim at best.  They were buried under mud in the Burmese jungle, not some desert.  The moisture they've been subjected to will not have done any good.  And who knows what, besides water, is in that mud that could attack the metals.  If the pH is significantly off from 7.0 that will only accelerate any corrosion.
Formerly sumpnz

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 04:11:24 PM »
The airframes were still in crates, so I'd guess the engines were not installed.  I think the chances of the airframes or engines surviving in rebuildable condition are slim at best.  They were buried under mud in the Burmese jungle, not some desert.  The moisture they've been subjected to will not have done any good.  And who knows what, besides water, is in that mud that could attack the metals.  If the pH is significantly off from 7.0 that will only accelerate any corrosion.

That won't matter in the movie version  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 04:17:35 PM »
That won't matter in the movie version  ;/

In the movie version they would hose the mud off, pour in some gas, fire them up, and fly in to combat as a last ditch effort against some aliens.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 05:17:19 PM »
In the movie version they would hose the mud off, pour in some gas, fire them up, and fly in to combat as a last ditch effort against some aliens.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 12:32:34 AM »

With the Griffon engine they'd need a tanker truck full of fuel.  A few Jerry cans worth wouldn't even warm one of them up. 
Formerly sumpnz

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 09:18:35 PM »
With the Griffon engine they'd need a tanker truck full of fuel.  A few Jerry cans worth wouldn't even warm one of them up. 

Shush..  don't ruin the suspension of disbelief for the audience.