Author Topic: Punk Rockers Make Good Conservatives  (Read 7922 times)

Regolith

• friend
Re: Punk Rockers Make Good Conservatives
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 08:42:11 PM »
Well, let us take a look at some of the folk who often sail under the libertarian flag:
* anarcho-capitalism (Hell-O Murray Rothbard!)
* minarchism
* market anarchism
* libertarian anarchism
* propertarian anarchism

MB's point that libertarianism is not antithetical to (or is at least accommodating of) anarchism is spot-on.  In that sense, I agree, given the evidence.

I've already conceded several times that there are indeed libertarian anarchists. My point, which you seem determined to miss if at all possible, is that they are the MINORITY, and that their philosophy is not shared with the majority of libertarians, and that just because there are some anarchist libertarians doesn't mean that libertarianism = anarchism. Is that really so hard to comprehend?

I also never stated that their viewpoints were antithetical to libertarianism. Only that it was an extreme application of it.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
I think roo_ster's point isn't that libertarians are anarchists, but more that people who call themselves libertarians but are not anarchists are using the wrong term for themselves. Or I think so anyway...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2012, 01:29:13 PM »
I think roo_ster's point isn't that libertarians are anarchists, but more that people who call themselves libertarians but are not anarchists are using the wrong term for themselves. Or I think so anyway...

OK, to clarify:
1. Many who claim to be libertarian, ain't, because they seem to think that small gov't conservatism/classical liberalism/adherence to the COTUS ~ libertarinism.  Which it ain't.  Read some Murray Rothbard.
2. Many who claim to be libertarian are quasi-anarchists.  Some are loud & proud about it, many use libertarianism as a false flag for respectability's sake.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2012, 01:40:28 PM »
First I was a Democrat (raised that way, from the South)

Then I became a Republican

Then I became a Libertarian

Now I'm starting to think Anarchist

Not sure where this is heading ...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2012, 01:47:42 PM »
First I was a Democrat (raised that way, from the South)

Then I became a Republican

Then I became a Libertarian

Now I'm starting to think Anarchist

Not sure where this is heading ...?

Nihilism.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2012, 02:02:43 PM »
Nihilism.

There is no meaning in that to me.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:35 PM »
I'm an anarchist because I'm not smart enough to be a libertarian.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."