Author Topic: A gem of a letter to the editor about Israel  (Read 6713 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
A gem of a letter to the editor about Israel
« on: April 29, 2012, 11:15:07 PM »
Writers to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel have been non-provocative lately, but this writer makes up for that in spades. I think the paper should create a Mad Hatter award, and make this writer the first recipient.

Fear of Iran baseless

The letter, "Israel's fear isn't irrational," represents a textbook example of how fear is often itself irrational because it is baseless (Your Views, April 24). Iran never "proclaimed" a desire to "destroy" Israel. This untruth has been exposed, even recently in corporate media.

Iran is not ruled by "religious fanatics." Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad (falsely accused of having said this) may have a provocative tongue, but he doesn't run Iran. Further, Iran has never attacked any country - unlike Israel, which has done so six times in modern history.

Iran signed the Nuclear Arms Treaty when given United States nuclear technology so that it could exercise its legal right to develop nuclear energy. In contrast, Israel refuses to sign or disclose its hundreds of nuclear weapons, making it, not Iran, the major threat in the region.

Israel also reminds the region that it is the fourth-most powerful military on Earth through its violent occupation of Palestine. Iran has had an open-door policy for decades. International and U.S. intelligence agencies and our military have verified that Iran does not have a nuclear weapons program.

How did the U.S. respond to Cuba? This nuclear crisis was ended by our president talking with Russia's chairman; all missiles were removed.

Foreign policy needs to be based on facts, not fears.

Robert Burkart-Lemke
Milwaukee

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: A gem of a letter to the editor about Israel
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:39:15 PM »
And the Klingons were girl scouts......... [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

Robert Burkart-Lemke is either firmly entrenched in antisemitism or a nutcake.  He is certainly very misinformed on the 20th century history of the mideast.   
There's not really much else to be said about wackos like him.
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 12:29:53 AM »
He's also not very well-versed in 20th century history of the US. Kennedy didn't end the missile crisis by talking with Kruschev, but by playing brinksmanship with the blockade (and giving Kruschev the removal of missiles from Turkey, which was always Kruschev's end game).

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:02 AM »
That's... not quite as crazy as most of your letters to the editor.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 01:30:39 AM »
Everybody picks on Iran for wearin' a hoodie.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:07:48 AM »
That's... not quite as crazy as most of your letters to the editor.

Well, he's saying that Iran isn't an aggressor nation, that it's not run by a crazy despot bent on the destruction of Israel, that its nuclear program has been verified by our intelligence and military to be for peaceful purposes, that all in all, Iran is the Mary Poppins of the Middle East, and that the Cuban missile crisis was ended by some sort of chat between Kennedy and Kruschev. If that doesn't qualify this writer for a rubber room, I don't know what does.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 02:09:44 AM »
Well, he's saying that Iran isn't an aggressor nation, that it's not run by a crazy despot bent on the destruction of Israel, that its nuclear program has been verified by our intelligence and military to be for peaceful purposes, that all in all, Iran is the Mary Poppins of the Middle East, and that the Cuban missile crisis was ended by some sort of chat between Kennedy and Kruschev. If that doesn't qualify this writer for a rubber room, I don't know what does.

Wait. You seriously believe Ahmadinejad runs Iran?

And that Iran is planning to destroy Israel with atomic weapons?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 02:30:12 AM »

Either a rubber room or an appointment to Obama's cabinet.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 02:55:08 AM »

How many nations has Iran attacked since 1979?

Also, who has provided any evidence that Iran is building a weapon?  We have inspected Iran through the IAEA and no evidence of a weapons program has turned up.

The writer is also exactly right that Iran is entitled under a treaty WITH US to develop nuclear power.  Israel is not, and actually possesses nuclear weapons.  Aside from helping South Africa to develop nukes (hey what a great idea that was!), can you see how that is a bigger threat to the world than Iran?

"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 10:01:30 AM »

The last thing Iran wants is the destruction if Israel. It's so central to their state-orthodoxy as a boogeyman, I'm not sure they'd know how to govern without it.
I promise not to duck.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 11:27:48 AM »

Also, who has provided any evidence that Iran is building a weapon?  We have inspected Iran through the IAEA and no evidence of a weapons program has turned up.

The writer is also exactly right that Iran is entitled under a treaty WITH US to develop nuclear power.  Israel is not, and actually possesses nuclear weapons.  Aside from helping South Africa to develop nukes (hey what a great idea that was!), can you see how that is a bigger threat to the world than Iran?

Those missiles they launch aren't "evidence??"  DeSelby, you're being absurd. Do you REALLY THINK all those underground bunkers Iran has developed to purify fissile material was done for the purpose of building a nuclear reactor? [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 11:32:54 AM »

An extremely large number, the most prominent of which are the United States and Israel. Or do you not count war by proxy as "attacks"?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 11:35:04 AM »

1. Of course he is beholden to the mullahs.

2. "Plan" does not equal "Has a desire to" and if someone "has a desire to kill me", but not the means, I tend to not wait to do something until they "have a plan to kill me" and the means.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
Sigh.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 12:16:09 PM »
1. Of course he is beholden to the mullahs.

2. "Plan" does not equal "Has a desire to" and if someone "has a desire to kill me", but not the means, I tend to not wait to do something until they "have a plan to kill me" and the means.

Do you believe Ahmadinejad has the desire to start an atomic war with Israel?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Do you believe Ahmadinejad has the desire to start an atomic war with Israel?

With 100% certainty? No.

Do I believe there is a significant chance that he is interested in precipitating the rise of the 12th imam which may include an attack on Israel? Yes.

One should never assume their enemy is completely rational, and especially should not stake their survival as a nation upon that assumption. (Not to say that you should assume they are irrational, but that their aims and goals are not likely to be the same as yours.)

Ever heard the story of the scorpion and the frog?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 03:31:29 PM »
Kennedy didn't end the missile crisis by talking with Kruschev

Actually, more recent information suggests that JFK was talking back channels with Kruschev.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 03:36:22 PM »
With 100% certainty? No.

Do I believe there is a significant chance that he is interested in precipitating the rise of the 12th imam which may include an attack on Israel? Yes.

One should never assume their enemy is completely rational, and especially should not stake their survival as a nation upon that assumption. (Not to say that you should assume they are irrational, but that their aims and goals are not likely to be the same as yours.)

Ever heard the story of the scorpion and the frog?

Makattak, we all know Ahmadinejad is going to fire off the nukes the first day he has one. How dare you doubt that?

Do you hate Jews, Makattak? WHY DO YOU HATE JEWS?

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2012, 07:47:41 PM »
Kennedy didn't end the missile crisis by talking with Kruschev
Actually, more recent information suggests that JFK was talking back channels with Kruschev.

Well, backchannel talks are "par for the course."   Does that mean it was the "talks" that ended the crises?
Me thinks it was the blockade...... ;)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2012, 07:54:49 PM »
Well, backchannel talks are "par for the course."   Does that mean it was the "talks" that ended the crises?
Me thinks it was the blockade......

That's what I meant. But it was also the horsetrading for the missiles in Turkey that sealed the deal, and Kruschev snookered Kennedy on that one. The writer of the letter sounds like Obama, believing that merely talking things over like one rational adult to another can resolve conflicts.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
That's what I meant. But it was also the horsetrading for the missiles in Turkey that sealed the deal, and Kruschev snookered Kennedy on that one. The writer of the letter sounds like Obama, believing that merely talking things over like one rational adult to another can resolve conflicts.

The Politburo thought Kennedy was triumphant - enough that this was part of their reasoning for removing Khruschev.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 05:26:28 PM »
I think that attitude is pretty common to the liberal thought process despite thousands of years of human history to show it often doesn't work on the type of people who would attack you in the first place. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 05:27:26 PM »
But modern movies tell me it was the X-Men who ended that whole mess. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge