Author Topic: F'ing Novartis (re: dogs)  (Read 2820 times)

zxcvbob

• friend
F'ing Novartis (re: dogs)
« on: May 07, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
It's time to take the dogs to the vet for their annual tune-up.  We have a new Aussie in the pack, so she can't take Heartgard (Ivermectin) heartworm pills like the other two. (Google "MDR1 gene")   No problem, I'll just put her on Interceptor®.  Turns out that is a problem; Novartis is the only maker because the patent hasn't expired yet, and they've shut down the only plant that makes it due to vague hygiene problems.  And there really is no substitute.   :mad:

It looks like I might can order Interceptor from overseas at usapetexpress.com and it may not even need a prescription, but that sounds risky.  I'll ask the vet if she knows anything about 'em.
"It's good, though..."

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: F'ing Novartis (re: dogs)
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 09:43:01 PM »
If you can hold out Interceptor should be back in about a month.
We switched to a small box of heart guard till its back.
How much does you dog weigh? My vet still had some of the small dog size Interceptor. They did not have the 60-100 lb size.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 09:54:10 PM »
If you can hold out Interceptor should be back in about a month.
We switched to a small box of heart guard till its back.
How much does you dog weigh? My vet still had some of the small dog size Interceptor. They did not have the 60-100 lb size.
I don't know what she weighs; maybe 20 pounds?  Maybe a little less.  She's 1 year old, from a breeder that breeds them small (not sure if she's officially a "mini" or not)

They took an energetic dog and concentrated it in a smaller package.  She can jump about 4 feet straight up.  I don't know how or why the other dogs put up with her; they need to haul off and bite her or stomp on her when she steals their food or bites on their ears and faces, but they come running to her defense if we even raise a voice to her.  "Don't be mean to the baby!"   :facepalm:

There are no mosquitoes here yet, so I probably can hold out a month.  Or I could get her tested for MDR1 and put her on Ivermectin, but Aussies run about 50% so that wouldn't necessarily help.
"It's good, though..."

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 12:42:31 AM »
They took an energetic dog and concentrated it in a smaller package.  She can jump about 4 feet straight up.  I don't know how or why the other dogs put up with her; they need to haul off and bite her or stomp on her when she steals their food or bites on their ears and faces, but they come running to her defense if we even raise a voice to her.  "Don't be mean to the baby!"   :facepalm:

You just GOTTA love dogs!   :laugh:

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 01:05:24 AM »
I found another Internet place that might have it in stock.  allivet.com.  They are licensed vets in Florida, have a good BBB rating, and require prescriptions for Rx drugs.  I've emailed them to see if they actually have the stuff; I don't care if it's USA English or if it's "export" labeled in French Canadian or Spanish or whatever, as long as it's the genuine product.
"It's good, though..."

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 10:01:26 AM »
Crap. Thanks for that heads up Bob. I'm out of Interceptor right now and needed to go to the vet for the annual heartworm test before I can get more. My dog doesn't [need Interceptor, but the vet moved her to it a few years ago because he felt it was better than Heartguard. She doesn't need her next dose till the end of the month, so hopefully it's back on the shelves then.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
I was to the vet last Friday with Mason and had no trouble getting a year's supply.

Because he's over 100 pounds he takes a 60-100 pound dose PLUS a 2-10 pound dose. It's apparently cheaper to do that than to get the dosing for the really big breeds.

Vet never mentioned that there was a shortage in the offing.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 03:10:08 PM »
I called the vets office they have the 2-10 pound size left.
Sorry that does not help. I would have picked some up for you.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 04:39:48 PM »
"Penny" weighs 20.1 pounds, and the 11-25 pound dose is the one size they have in stock at allivet.com.  I called my vet, and Allivet is on their list of approved online pharmacies.  So I ordered 2 boxes really quick, which will last this year and most of next year.

I could have ordered the other dogs' Heartgard chews too and saved a few bucks AND qualified for free shipping.  OTOH I don't have their prescriptions yet, and Allivet could easily run out of Interceptor before I could get my paperwork together.
"It's good, though..."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 12:55:53 PM »
A dozen right-dosed Interceptor chews just arrived in the mail.  (they are a lot smaller than Heartgard!)  I only need 7 or 8 doses this year, so this will almost get me through next year too if there's still a shortage -- but there shouldn't be. 
"It's good, though..."