Author Topic: Father Gets Traffic Ticket for Saving Son  (Read 6690 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Father Gets Traffic Ticket for Saving Son
« on: May 22, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
So there's a lot this guy could have done differently. He could have kept his son seat-belted in, he could have, as the cop said, "taken the five seconds to set the emergency brake" (maybe), but I'm guessing he was a pretty panicked person. Plus the cop telling him that if something had happened to his son that he would have been charged with child endangerment is a little over the top.

I'm sure this particular cop did everything according to the letter of the law, but sometimes the law is an ass (or people are).

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/21/saves-his-kid-loses-his-car-and-gets-ticket/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
Re: Father Gets Traffic Ticket for Saving Son
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 09:34:00 AM »
Not the law, but the cop.

He took the opportunity to act like a jerk.

He will get his when it comes back around to him.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I was going to say the insurance card ticket was worse, but both are nuts and just reflect on the character of the cop.  I am sure the cop did look it up and knew the car was insured.  If it was just the e-brake ticket, I can almost understand since the guy likely won't be billed for the crane even though he should be. 

On the whole thing with the kid, would the kid have just kept running and sailed off the cliff?  Probably not though I can understand the fear. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »
5 year old boys are a handful.
it take less than a second to set the e brake.

Less "MASSIVE LINK OF DEATH!" now.

And, in defense of the guy, if I thought one of my little ones was going over a cliff, I doubt I'd even have a second thought about the car as I jumped out. (Although I'm trying to train them that the word "STOP" gets unquestioned obedience.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 10:29:16 AM »
Although I'm trying to train them that the word "STOP" gets unquestioned obedience

try that with wife first..... >:D  let us know how it works out,  if you are able [popcorn]
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 10:54:49 AM »
Parking ("emergency") brakes aren't very reliable anyway.  =(

I've had the one on my pickup pop off while it was warming up, and I barely caught it before went through a fence and into a trailer house.

We had the cable brake fail on one of our wildland fire engines.  Fully loaded, it jumped over a chock and went down the hill into a pine tree.  Totalled the truck, but the apparatus was okay.

Wonder if the jeep was an auto or manual  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:05:18 AM »
"I don't care, I'll pay it," Roder said. "It's just the principle. When something like that happens so fast, I could give a rat's a-- about the car."

You know, sometimes *expletive deleted*it happens.  At least this guy has his priorities straight.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 11:16:01 AM »
I'm just trying to figure out if he left it in "Drive" ?  =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:25:21 AM »
The reporter does both us and his local readers a disservice by not mentioning the cops name just as he mentioned the father's name.

Maybe a little social suasion could bring the [tinfoil] cop around to civilized behavior.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 11:38:49 AM »
You know, sometimes *expletive deleted* happens.  At least this guy has his priorities straight.

+1
Too bad the cop was a total jackwagon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 12:26:52 PM »
The cops cut him a BUNCH of breaks. They didn't ticket him for:

Littering

Not wearing a life vest while boating

Failure to put out markers at the scene of an accident

Parking in an unmarked spot

Failure to register a watercraft

I'd say the cop was very reasonable.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »

Littering

:O  Oh, funny.... ;/
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 01:48:21 PM »
likely, this is the cop who would give a fireman a speeding ticket enroute to a fire.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
likely, this is the cop who would give a fireman a speeding ticket enroute to a fire.

One better.  Friend of mine got a ticket for speeding.  She was driving an ambulance.  With a patient in back.  Supervisor had talk with chief.  "Want us taking our time when one of your officers is down?"
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

griz

• friend
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 02:01:50 PM »
Union County Police Chief Daniel Vaniska told FoxNews.com that his officers have some discretion about when and when not to write a ticket.
Vaniska said. "I can't comment on the discretionary practices of an officer

I can comment: very bad judgment on his part.  The officer could take lessons from the  man who values his son over his car and a stupid ticket.  Sounds like an example of the officer demanding but not deserving respect.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
I can comment: very bad judgment on his part.  The officer could take lessons from the  man who values his son over his car and a stupid ticket.  Sounds like an example of the officer demanding but not deserving respect.

I've noticed an increase in that in our society: individuals in positions that once deserved respect expecting to be given the same respect previously granted those who had earned said respect.

(Teachers and journalists are two of the foremost examples in my mind right now.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 02:29:25 PM »
Oh, if only it had been my mom and me. That cop would have gotten one of her patented "outraged citizens" lectures and it would have been beautiful. *sigh*

I think officer jack*** has never experianced or related to what a hyped up small child is capible of. When a 6 year old is racing about like a rabbit on speed and in the deep throws of happy oblivian, you do not stop to put on the parking break.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

HankB

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2012, 03:10:43 PM »
Several decades ago I remember a story where just that happened - a volunteer firefighter, responding to an alarm, was stopped and ticketed on his way to the station by a cop who took his sweet time about writing things up.

It turned out it was the cop's own house that was on fire - talk about karma!  =D

(IIRC, police department tried to blame the delay on the fireman, saying it was his fault for speeding . . . but that didn't go over too well.)

The reporter does both us and his local readers a disservice by not mentioning the cops name just as he mentioned the father's name.
Sunlight is the best disinfectant, and those who engage in officious stupidity should not be granted anonymity.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2012, 04:36:46 PM »
Although I'm trying to train them that the word "STOP" gets unquestioned obedience

try that with wife first..... >:D  let us know how it works out,  if you are able [popcorn]
My Dad disciplined and/or spanked my brother and I since before I can even remember.  When he used the right tone of voice, we responded immediately.  I am not sure I would be able to do that with kids myself. 

My Mother, I am not sure what we would have done. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »
My Dad disciplined and/or spanked my brother and I since before I can even remember.  When he used the right tone of voice, we responded immediately.  I am not sure I would be able to do that with kids myself. 

My Mother, I am not sure what we would have done. 

It took my mom two trips to the er to get leverage for an immediate cease and dissist command.

And even that is not always capable cutting through a suger addled over excited childs selective hearing issues.

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Lee

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2012, 05:35:01 PM »

Littering

Ahhhh....he's probably just leaving some room for the EPA to level some more fines.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2012, 05:41:13 PM »
Technically, we're supposed to be allowed to exceed the speed limit by 10mph when responding to a fire call in personal vehicles - which is the same amount that is allowed to emergency vehicles with lights flashing (good luck getting some of our trucks to go that fast).

I did quite a bit more than that in 2004 when we had a huge column coming up the hill.  That fire came close to taking out our fire hall  :O

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2012, 07:30:20 PM »
Two words: "New Jersey"

That explains everything.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2012, 08:30:11 PM »

It can be done without spanking (or minimal spanking).  It takes a lot more effort though and a focus on consistency.
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage