Author Topic: Are there any Excel gurus in the audience?  (Read 498 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Are there any Excel gurus in the audience?
« on: May 25, 2012, 05:37:58 PM »
I could use some help. I am trying to create a spreadsheet to log test results for the application of fireproofing to steel beams, and have the spreadsheet spit out a "Pass" or "Fail" to save me from having to manually look up each entry and make a determination. The problem is, there are two criteria that must be applied to each sample, and I can't figure out how to incorporate both into a single formula.

Each beam has to be sampled at 9 or 12 points around the beam ("around," not "along." Samples taken at top and bottom of both upper and lower flanges, tips of flanges, and both sides of the vertical web).

Criterion #1 is that the average of all 9 or 12 samples cannot be less than 25% thinner than the specified thickness. (Call that 1 inch for simplicity.)

Criterion #2 is that no individual sample can measure less than 1/4-inch.

If either of the above cannot be satisfied, the test is a "Fail" and the beam has to be re-coated.

I have a working formula that takes care of Criterion #1, and it has been tested using sample data for both "Pass" and 'Fail," and it works. I just learned about the second criterion, and I have not been able to tack it onto/into my formula to create an 'If A or B=True, then "Fail" ' equation.

Can anyone help a poor, non-Excel literate olde pharte?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Are there any Excel gurus in the audience?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 07:35:18 PM »
By golly, that might just do it.

Many thanks!
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
Re: Are there any Excel gurus in the audience?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 10:50:49 AM »
Thats cool. I use excell for data base stuff and I often use the =len to tell if there is two many characters in a cell.
So say its a 50 character field I would look for the ones that are over 50. Sometimes I use the sort by to bring the offenders to the top of the page. I will have to try the pass fail thing sometime.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods