Author Topic: Which radio for a new Ham?  (Read 1851 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Which radio for a new Ham?
« on: June 06, 2006, 03:44:53 AM »
I've been reading reviews, comparing specs, etc until my eyes cross.  I STILL don't know what would be best for me.

As a Technician (no code) class licensee, I'm limited to VHF/UHF.  Around here, it appears the 2m and 70cm bands are the most popular.  Those bands also seem to be the common ones for packet radio and satellite, both of which I'm interested in (actually moreso than traditional voice).  As far as voice goes, my interest is mainly limited to emergency or remote comms applications.  A standard base station is out of my reach right now, nor do I have a good place for it.  A mobile makes more sense, but I'm not sure which vehicle I'd put it in since I'd have strong reasons for each.  That leaves me at the handhelds.  However, I've seen many comments about how this shouldn't be your first radio.

Based on my readings, a HT will work fine for packet and satellite assuming a good antenna, but I don't know which one to get.  What features are good?  I know for satellite I need to be able to send on one band and receive on another simultaneously.

The Yaesu VX-7R seems to have everything I need, is rugged, and powerful, but it's mighty pricey at $400ish.  It would give me room to grow without buying another radio.  The VX-1R is much less expensive (less than $100 on ebay), but I'm not sure if it would meet my perceived needs.  I'm not as familiar with other brands or models.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2006, 04:17:05 AM »
And the geek surfaces...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

yci

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
My preference is for the Icom W32A.

Decent sized radio, dual VFO display, dual band (can also monitor the WX frequencies as well as the AM aircraft band if you so desire), has cross-band capability, no annoying (in my opinion) function key, which makes operation of the radio very easy.  Also relatively rugged.  Managed to accidently drop mine in the parking lot a few years ago and only managed to scuff the corner of the battery pack.

It does have some drawbacks.  The NiCad battery it comes with isn't all that great.  If I'm scanning multiple frequencies on each VFO, I'm lucky to get 3 hours out of it.  However, they do make AA battery packs (Icom makes a 4 AA pack, and Batteries America, or something like that, make a 6 AA pack) which you can fill with NiMH and have a much better battery life.  The other drawback to it is the metal belt clip.  Since it is designed to be part of the cooling system of the radio (read: extension of the heat sink), if you run UHF for an extended period of time on the high power setting, the clip gets downright hot to hold.  I suggest getting a neoprene belt pouch and speaker mike to help with this.

I've owned and used one since 1998 and love mine.  Folks around my area have liked it so much that it's almost become the "standard" HT for our ARES/EmCom operations.  Icom has an interesting method of producing radios.  They make them until their production mold breaks, then they discontinue that model of radio.  This happened to the W32A a couple of years ago.  However, Icom has brought it back due to a large demand from hams to continue making it, and complaints from folks involved in emergency communications that one of their favorite radios had been discontinued.  Nice to see Icom listened to the consumer on that one.

The W32A retails for around $290.

And that's my $0.02

KBØYCI

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2006, 05:55:25 AM »
The Icom W32A sounds promising.  The price is more in line with what I want to pay as well.

Chris

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 06:47:33 AM »
I have a Yaesu VX-5R (now discontinued).  This was my first radio and it's pretty nice.  The VX-7R looks even better.

I also have a Yaesu FT-7800R mobile 2M/440MHz mobile unit, though it's in my office connected to a power supply.  The mobile units are a bit easier to use IMO and give you the option of more power.  The 5W max handi-talikes are limiting unless you have a really good antenna.  The factory HT antennas generally suck.  Check out the equipment reviews at eHam.net to get an idea of what might be a good replacement.  I actually got good results with a home made J-pole made from some scrap Romex wiring.

Congrats on getting your license and 73 de KB3MNK.

P.S. -- Get the PC programming kit for whatever radio you buy.  Makes life A LOT easier.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 07:13:45 AM »
The VX-5R looks good too, but the W32A has some features I think will help me more.  I've been reading eham.net revies till I'm crosseyed.  Another problem is that I'm not knowledgeable enough about radios to know what is a true pro/con and what is simply "opinion".  

I'm aware of the weaknesses of factory "rubber ducky" antennas.  I plan to build/buy more appropriate models as needed, but keep the factory one when I need the best portability.  That brings me to my main reason for going with an HT.  I want to be able to carry the thing while hiking, camping, biking, etc.  I *think* a good HT with the right features can make a good base for a flexible, yet highly mobile system.

re: Pc programming kit...oh yeah, I'll be getting that.

Eh, this post sounds very "know it all", that's not what I'm trying to convey.  I really appreciate all your help and am soaking this up like a sponge. Smiley

Chris

yci

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 07:50:43 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
I'm aware of the weaknesses of factory "rubber ducky" antennas.  I plan to build/buy more appropriate models as needed, but keep the factory one when I need the best portability.  That brings me to my main reason for going with an HT.  I want to be able to carry the thing while hiking, camping, biking, etc.  I *think* a good HT with the right features can make a good base for a flexible, yet highly mobile system.
One thing to consider there, is get a longer and more flexible antenna for when you hike, camp, etc.  I ditched my factory "duck" on the W32A in favor of a much longer, and more flexible, antenna made by Pryme (it's about 19" long and very thin...can actually tie it in a knot if I wanted to).  Diamond and MFJ also make similar antennas, as do other manufacturers I'm sure.  These can be picked up for $30 or less, depending on the model and its specs.

I used my HT as my primary radio for a few years.  One thing to be cautious of, the fact that I kept switching antennas (duck, to car, to house, and back again) multiple times a day, eventually started to weaken the solder joints inside the HT for the antenna connection.  This is not a big deal unless you're swapping antennas 5-8 times a day like I was, and also some of my connections had to have big adapters (can't easily put a PL-259 connector onto a BNC without some sort of adapter Wink ).  That being said, mine was an extreme case.