Author Topic: Anyone ever heard of a car being remotely shut off for missed payment?  (Read 1929 times)

InfidelSerf

• friend
My girlfriend's daughter has been going through some financial troubles, and keeps getting her car shut off.
If she misses a payment they remotely shut her car off.
It's a 2 thousand something Pontiac GrandPrix.

Has anyone ever heard of this before?

It seems kind of dumb to me. I mean if you can't afford to make a payment. And they shut your car off, it makes it pretty hard to get to work to make more money to pay the payment.  

I would never buy a car with such a feature.

Of course I think she should dump it and buy a cheap $1500 car.  

Just curious to know how prevalent this is.
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone ever heard of a car being remotely shut off for missed payment?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 08:48:08 AM »
I was about to ask you what you're smoking, but apparently it's a real thing...

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2005/11/26/engine_shutoff_device_gets_drivers_to_pay_loans_on_time/
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 09:31:22 AM »
Ah yes...another "feature" of the wonderful OnStar program.  They sell it to you as a convenience/safety device for you.  Not only are they doing this now I guess, they can remotely activate it to listen to conversations in the car.  I was reading something about that a while back and about some agency requesting warrants for it.  Nice "feature" huh?  I specifically told the dealer to shove his OnStar you know where when I bought my truck.

After reading the previous article, maybe it isn't OnStar but I'd bet against that...

Greg

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 10:02:36 AM »
I guess it beats getting your car repossessed.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 10:10:13 AM »
I just saw a thing on the local news about that.  The guy they did the story on was making weekly payments of $88, I think.  The device in the car is reset every week and it notifies you when your payment is due.  This one did anyway.  I guess if you have really bad credit and need a car...
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 10:29:17 AM »
If I could get really low rates on a car loan, I'd go for it. It would have to be 0-2% rates with no downpayment, tax and title included and free oil changes for the life of the loan.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 11:12:15 AM »
so far this is the only company I've found that produces the device.  http://www.ppsontime.com/
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 11:27:11 AM »
My sister has one of those on her truck due to getting into financial trouble in the past.  I can see how a dealer would like it, since it looks like less hassle than having to repo the car if payments stops.

Just one of the prices people pay when the abuse credit and get themselves into trouble as my sister did.  I think it may be limited to younger payers and the like, since my mother went through similar financial issues due to medical issues with her husband and does not have such on her car.  Nor did an older friend with her previous car loan.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 02:37:10 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
My sister has one of those on her truck due to getting into financial trouble in the past.  I can see how a dealer would like it, since it looks like less hassle than having to repo the car if payments stops.

Just one of the prices people pay when the abuse credit and get themselves into trouble as my sister did.  I think it may be limited to younger payers and the like, since my mother went through similar financial issues due to medical issues with her husband and does not have such on her car.  Nor did an older friend with her previous car loan.
I heard about this somewhere else, maybe it was slashdot.

Indeed, there's no plan to put these devices on every car sold with a loan.  They're reserved for the people with the worst money handling skills, bad credit, bankruptcies, etc...  So while your mother and the older friend may of had some financial difficulties, their financies were probably not sufficiently in the toilet.  Either that or they just paid the higher interest rate...

The dealer can save money, thus offer a car at a lower interest rate(or even at all) because the dealer doesn't have to worry about the car disappearing too much.  The system disables the car if it doesn't get the unlock code, plus it contains a GPS tracker and 'call home' type system(probably cellular).

When the lien is fulfilled and lifted, they remove it from the car.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2006, 11:08:17 AM »
Kinda OT, but I really want to gut a functioning OnStar system out of GM car, install it in a speedboat, drive several miles out into Lake Michigan, push the button, and tell the operator "Help! I'm Lost! All I see is water!"...
I promise not to duck.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2006, 03:20:58 PM »
Quote from: AJ Dual
Kinda OT, but I really want to gut a functioning OnStar system out of GM car, install it in a speedboat, drive several miles out into Lake Michigan, push the button, and tell the operator "Help! I'm Lost! All I see is water!"...
I suppose you could save some time and just take a ferry ride.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2006, 03:42:48 PM »
Yeah, but the ferry lines might be marked on their maps....

Still, I think it'd be cute.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2006, 04:02:00 PM »
Hmmm.....

What all does an On-Star system contain?

I suppose you could always buy an Aveo and get a bigger boat.  Should fit.

A concern I have, what happens when this system becomes used for when you let insurance or registration lapse?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:30:18 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
What all does an On-Star system contain?
It's pretty much a GPS and cellphone tied into the car's computer with some custom programing such that they can call in and unlock the doors remotely, and it automatically calls out if the accident sensors(airbags) trigger.  You can also hit a button to call their service to request assistance in other ways, such as if you witness an accident, are having a heart attack, get lost, etc...  Think of it as a global private 911.

There's been a bit of a scandal when it came out that they can turn the microphone on without any indicators or request being sent, and that GM is willing to do it for police.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 05:38:24 PM »
If she misses a payment they remotely shut her car off.
That sounds like something Microsoft would do.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 06:12:45 PM »
No, if it were Microsoft after payment of the monthly bill, the car to shut down unexpectedly.  When you called in for assistance, you'd be routed to India where "George" would tell you reinstall the engine.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 06:46:14 PM »
and to think they all make fun of ME for driving a pre- 80's, carburated monster...

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2006, 05:19:32 AM »
Quote from: Sindawe
No, if it were Microsoft after payment of the monthly bill, the car to shut down unexpectedly.  When you called in for assistance, you'd be routed to India where "George" would tell you reinstall the engine.
Now that was funny.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 06:45:58 AM »
Quote from: Firethorn
There's been a bit of a scandal when it came out that they can turn the microphone on without any indicators or request being sent, and that GM is willing to do it for police.
It can't be that hard to find the microphone and wire an in-line kill switch into it. Just flip it on before you use the OnStar for help, or make calls.

And the kind of guys that are buying the high-end SUV's that come equipped with OnStar, AND have LEO wire-tap security concerns, are probably also gutting the cars for a 5000 watt stereo, DVD players, XBOX, and a salt-water tropical aquarium anyway&.

A $.50 switch from Rat-Shack to disable the microphone is childs play.
I promise not to duck.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 02:52:25 PM »
True, a kill switch isn't difficult, it's remembering/knowing to do it.  They've done it with cell phones in Europe as well.  Now there's a pain in the butt.