Author Topic: Tanks for the Memories !!!  (Read 3031 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Tanks for the Memories !!!
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:37:04 PM »
http://defensetech.org/2012/06/05/tanks-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see

Abandoned Russian tank repair facility near Kharkov....

Ironic that the site of the largest tank battle in WWII is now home to 5000+ abandon Soviet era tanks...
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Tanks for the Memories !!!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:05:18 AM »
The land of misfit tanks?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 03:43:38 AM »
What tank battle do you refer to?

I believe Kursk is quite far to the East.

What is with the Ukrainians? CAn't they pay to get all this stuff melted down, or sold for scrap, or whatnot?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:09:53 AM »
I wonder if and how many could be made operational. If nothing else they could be a source of engines for industrial applications.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 08:18:24 AM »
I wonder if and how many could be made operational. If nothing else they could be a source of engines for industrial applications.

1. Don't tank engines have a very limited operational lifespan?

2. I would expect many sensitive parts, like tracks, turret gear, etc. would have rusted beyond use.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 08:46:15 AM »
http://defensetech.org/2012/06/05/tanks-as-far-as-the-eye-can-see

Abandoned Russian tank repair facility near Kharkov....

Ironic that the site of the largest tank battle in WWII is now home to 5000+ abandon Soviet era tanks...

Are those C&R eligible?

In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 09:32:04 AM »
If that was Texas, some tweakers would have already sold them for scrap.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 09:41:56 AM »
Screw the tweekers.  At something like 20 or 30 cents a pound, anyone with the capability of moving them would be hauling them off assuming they wouldn't get caught. 

For me, I'd like to pick up some of the machine guns that appear to still be there.  Also, wouldn't it be cool to set up a bunker at your house with a tank turret?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
Screw the tweekers.  At something like 20 or 30 cents a pound, anyone with the capability of moving them would be hauling them off assuming they wouldn't get caught. 

For me, I'd like to pick up some of the machine guns that appear to still be there.  Also, wouldn't it be cool to set up a bunker at your house with a tank turret?   =D

Gives a new meaning to "get off my lawn!"
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 10:02:16 AM »

In the last several days we've had 2 long sections of airel cable stolen for the copper, the fiber optic lines they took down with were just collateral damage.  1st one was in the wee hours of the morning, the last one was at 2:00 pm. It was in a remote area.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 10:18:48 AM »
In Soviet Russia, Tank park you.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 10:21:27 AM »

Isn't every town in Texas just like every other town in middle America with an old tank already parked in the town square/park or in front of the local VFW building?

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 10:36:25 AM »

They used to use tanks minus the turret as platforms for big log loaders and yarders (hi-lead) in the Pacific Northwest.

I always wanted to get a tank to use as a base for a home-built log loader, but I suppose that the turret bearing aren't designed to handle that much leveraged stress ?   =|
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 10:53:41 AM »
Isn't every town in Texas just like every other town in middle America with an old tank already parked in the town square/park or in front of the local VFW building?

Our local VFW has a cobra heli-chopper.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 11:19:58 AM »
Aren't those blocks of reactive armor explosive?

Tank rebuilders do amazing things to get a whole vehicle out of several.  There are Sherman resto's out there with the hull made of two or more salvaged tanks.  Why would tank engines be any different than any other vehicle or industrial engine?  If 65 year-old Maybachers can be made to run, why not Russian engines.  They are most likely adapted truck or tractor engines.

Many years ago, when the Interstate highway system was first being built, a section of I-80 was going through Paterson, NJ.  The route was to go through the old silk mill district.  One local demolition contractor had the bright idea of using a Sherman with the turret removed and a piece of plate welded over the hole.  He was going to run the tank through the buildings to knock them down.  The first building he ran the tank through had a couple of levels of sub-basement and when he drove out onto the wooden floor, the thing crashed into the sub-basement.  It took quite a while to get him and his broken back extracted and the tank is probably still there, buried under the interstate.  If I recall correctly, the demolition contractor was Vinnie Ottillio.

Russ

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 11:33:40 AM »
Our local VFW has a cobra heli-chopper.

Reminds me... In the neighboring town, theirs a Civil Air Patrol unit that has a few operational Hueys. They fly over occasionally, gives me goosebumps. =D

Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 10:41:37 PM »
1. Don't tank engines have a very limited operational lifespan?

2. I would expect many sensitive parts, like tracks, turret gear, etc. would have rusted beyond use.

As far as the first goes, depends on the hours. High hours? Not so good. Barely cranked, when from the factory to storage and then that place? Then it's gonna be fine, assuming no internal corrosion issues.

As far as to the second, older *expletive deleted* was build STOUT. You can take a 70 y.o. Cat D7 that hasn't run in 20 years and often get it running without too much trouble, for example. There's a lot you can do with older stuff that you can't pull off with newer.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 12:27:05 AM by Avenger29 »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 08:43:22 AM »
As far as the first goes, depends on the hours. High hours? Not so good. Barely cranked, when from the factory to storage and then that place? Then it's gonna be fine, assuming no internal corrosion issues.

What I mean is, I've read that a tank engine can be run for something like 250-500 hours, and then you need a rebuild. This doesn't sound like something you want to do with an industrial machine.

Although on the other hand, the Russians do have some impressive firefighting gear built out of T-55 tanks.