Author Topic: Does anybody here know baseball card values?  (Read 899 times)

Stand_watie

• friend
Does anybody here know baseball card values?
« on: June 08, 2006, 05:06:19 AM »
I'm helping my wife clean out her uncle's house. He has 25 to 30 boxes of baseball cards (about 18 inches long by the length width of a baseball card).

I'm not too keen on bringing them into my own house, as I'm concerned about bringing roaches in, but I'd like some ballpark idea of value as  I decide where to store them.

I know nobody knows without actually looking, but I thought somebody might be able to at least give me a range (like one to ten dollars a box).

They are mid eighties through early 90's. Examples are

"1984 complete topps set"

1989 donrusss" etc.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 05:36:37 AM »
Go to Ebay and see what they are bringing there. Ebay is the best judge of real world value.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 03:01:24 PM »
With informaiton like that it is tough to say roaches, et al.  Most cards (loose stock) are worth about as much water as they can soak up.  If they are sets, then they bring more value, wax packs (in wrapper with stale gum) more value because there could be a surprise.

If they are complete sets and older the best value is placed in knowing you have a great rookie card (someone that is proven).

Don Mattingly is probably the best card of the 1984 lot.

You can approximate about 600+ cards per box if they are full.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 01:10:46 AM »
I suggest going through them. If you're afraid of roaches put them in a garbage bag, spray a bunch of roach spray in there (NOT on the cards), seal it up and let it sit for a few days. Then go through them outside. Chances are 99% of them are crap but there might be a few good ones in there. Fr'instance Dwight Gooden was a rookie in '89 so you might find a few copies of his rookie cards in there. EBAY is a good place to check values like  somebody already said. Check the COMPLETED auctions for pricing. You'll have to be a member to view that though.

PS I'm no expert but I DO specialize in the 1989 Billy Ripken obscene error card. I have "a few" of them.  Wink

The only cello pack I have has the error card visible on one side and Gooden's rookie card visible on the other. Cheesy
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 08:03:07 AM »
The majority of them are probably worth their weight in Beanie Babies.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 11:32:04 AM »
LOL,,,that's probably true!

Cheesy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »
Serious question: If these card are worth so all-fired much after "aging", how come people buy them when they come out?
Andy

280plus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 09:31:29 PM »
They're gambling that some of those new cards are going to gain value over time. Especially rookie cards. If you get a rookie card and that rookie later turns out to be the next "Babe Ruth" then the card you bought at cost will later become very valuable. Only thing is MOST of those cards are and will remain crapola. The card buffs have a name for them but I can't remember what it is.