Author Topic: Not an attack cat, but a monkey!  (Read 1253 times)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Not an attack cat, but a monkey!
« on: June 09, 2006, 05:19:15 AM »
So we have Lewis the attack cat, then hippie children eatin' Puma, now meet the lastest terror in suburbia

http://www.kfvs12.com/Global/story.asp?S=5001680&nav=menu51_2

Monkey business stirs up neighborhood
By: Ryan Tate

Sikeston, MO - More than 50 signed a petition asking the Sikeston City Council to look into monkey attacks on their street.  The petitioners claim the monkey is a danger to adults and children.

Phyllis Gates thinks otherwise.

" He is usually pretty calm. People make him nervous," Gates said. Gates says she bought the monkey in Kansas City five years ago for $5,000.  The monkey's name is Alex.

"I wouldn't say he attacks people, but if he is provoked, he is like other exotic animals, they will attack," Gates said.

Her neighbors say it does not matter if the monkey is provoked, he will attack anyway.

"She cannot control her monkey," Peggy Bearden said. "It attacked my grandson. Part of the material is gone in his shirt." Bearden lives across the street from Gates.

Next door, Gayla Schearf says Alex attacked her.

"They came over to my yard, and the monkey got away. He attacked me after that," Schearf said.

Sikeston City Manager Doug Friend tells Heartland News that it is illegal for someone to own a monkey in Sikeston, but there is an exception in Gates' case, because she owned the monkey before the law was put in place. Friend says the city will look into recent allegations.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006, 07:18:56 AM »
There is a good generic solution for fast-moving aggressive animals weighing under 20 lbs.

The tennis racket.

Light weight.
Hard Hitting.
High impact velocity.
No air resistance.
Large impact area.
"Politicaly Correct" appearance.

You can find them at yard sales, cheap. Even an ancient aluminum one from the 1970's will do well. High tech fiberglass, and carbon fiber ones from the 80's and 90's can be had for a song too.

Golf clubs can be even more devestating, but they're best reserved for animals with limited ability to fly, climb, or jump.
I promise not to duck.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006, 07:32:34 AM »
I would far rather deal with a hungry puma than an angry monkey.  I would rather deal with a hungry AND angry puma than an angry monkey.  Those things are vile, vindictive little monsters when the put their minds to it, they hold a grudge and are ALWAYS scheming about how to get their way. Like parrots, if deprived of the normal social interaction their kinds needs, they get rather neurotic to the point of self-destructiveness.

Want a pet that is cute, warm and loving, get a cat.

Want a pet that is loyal, obedient and will love you unconditionally, get a dog.

Want a pet that is exotic and intelligent, get a tank of cichlids.

Primates do not good pets make.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
"She cannot control her monkey,"

There's your qoute of the week.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006, 03:40:48 PM »
The problem is probably caused by abuse by her adolescent son.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »
The problem is probably caused by abuse by her adolescent son
Perhaps, but I think it is more due to people not being able to read the signs (vocal, facial and body language) that the monkey is using to advertise its state of mind.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006, 08:19:42 PM »
Why can't we just have a 'If an animal attacks a person, it is open game' law?

And for those that would complain about their pets being shot, keep an eye on the dang hing.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Strings

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006, 08:32:22 PM »
Odd... I've seen and played with monkeys that were perfectly fine with humans (VERY well socialized). I've also seen some that I wouldn't approach without body armor and a .45. Interesting thing is, the pet usually acts like the owner's children...

I've got a boa that I need to re-socialize: things have been crazy around here, so I haven't had the time to spend with him. He's let me know he isn't happy the last few times he's been out. But ANY exotic (and most normal pets) need that human interaction to stay "friendly". And when they have it, they're fine...

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006, 08:51:49 PM »
Quote from: Sindawe
The problem is probably caused by abuse by her adolescent son
Perhaps, but I think it is more due to people not being able to read the signs (vocal, facial and body language) that the monkey is using to advertise its state of mind.
So you don't think the problem was caused by excessive spanking?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 09:46:31 PM »
Now class,,,There wil be NO spanking of monkeys...

Reminds me of the VN vet story I was told once where he was eating a sammich and a "cute" little monkey came up, stole his sammich and slapped him in the face. So the vet SHOT the monkey with his 12 ga. He was a river rat so at the time they were in a group of small boats on a river and upon hearing the shot the whole lot of them opened up on the opposite bank of the river. .50 cal, rockets, you name it. He said they must have expended $10,000 of 1970's money in ordinance in about 10 seconds. MEANWHILE about the only thing left of the monkey was it's tail and he was desperately trying to covertly kick the monkey's tail off his boat and into the water before anybody found out what had REALLY happened. Wink
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 11:31:57 PM »
Primates do not good pets make.
All my friends with kids say the same thing.