Author Topic: The FCC works fast  (Read 1096 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
The FCC works fast
« on: June 10, 2006, 03:06:03 AM »
I took my Tech exam on Sunday, my callsign and data appeared in the database by Wenesday (maybe earlier), and I had my paper license in my hand yesterday.  Impressive.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The FCC works fast
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006, 04:35:05 AM »
They like to keep you close at hand in case they have to summon their unholy army of winged geeks... Smiley

So when are you going to spring for a radio?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
The FCC works fast
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006, 07:24:05 AM »
So when are you going to spring for a radio
Unless I find a great deal, probably not for a while.  Right now, I'm still reading and learning.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The FCC works fast
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006, 08:28:16 AM »
Why do I have this funny feeling that there's a 4WD mountain bike equipped with a HAM radio and computer docking port in your immediate future?

Oh, and I can't forget the scabbard for the rifle...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The FCC works fast
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2006, 08:47:17 PM »
I spent a few hours trying to figure a way to mount a 2 meter rig to my bike one fine day.
Then it hit me that I was taking the hobby a little too far...

Congratulations on your new ticket Mntbkr.

73 de WB7VHR
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Strings

The FCC works fast
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2006, 10:29:26 PM »
Ok... since Preacherman hasn't said it...

So Chris... now you can HAM it up?

mtnbkr

• friend
The FCC works fast
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006, 04:14:12 AM »
Why do I have this funny feeling that there's a 4WD mountain bike equipped with a HAM radio and computer docking port in your immediate future?
Oh, and I can't forget the scabbard for the rifle...
Computer: How about a smartphone instead
Ham Radio: Check
Rifle: I actually had my 38special with me on my ride yesterday.  As I was leaving to go riding yesterday, I grabbed my M37.  Shell made a comment about her husband being the only person to carry a gun mountain biking.  I replied "nonsense, lots of mountain bikers pack.  In fact, I fired my first handgun on a mountain biking trip.  I was also the only person there without a sidearm". Smiley

I spent a few hours trying to figure a way to mount a 2 meter rig to my bike one fine day.
Then it hit me that I was taking the hobby a little too far...

Congratulations on your new ticket Mntbkr
Depends on your interests.  Personally, I have no desire to sit at home and ragchew with other area HAMs, but I am VERY interested in backcountry and emergency communications.  Last night, I was looking at some solarcell panels and doing some mental calculations to figure out what it would take to run a small HT with solar power.  Thanks!

Ok... since Preacherman hasn't said it...
 So Chris... now you can HAM it up?
Har har Wink

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
The FCC works fast
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 04:35:54 AM »
"Last night, I was looking at some solarcell panels and doing some mental calculations to figure out what it would take to run a small HT with solar power."

Bicycle mounted generator!

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
The FCC works fast
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2006, 04:14:41 PM »
Mtnbkr, are you looking at back country QRP HF rigs?  Something along the lines of 10 watts PEP SSB. That might be fun.
Maybe you can run it off a small gel cell battery with solar panel recharge.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

mtnbkr

• friend
The FCC works fast
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006, 06:12:41 PM »
Quote from: RocketMan
Mtnbkr, are you looking at back country QRP HF rigs?  Something along the lines of 10 watts PEP SSB. That might be fun.
Maybe you can run it off a small gel cell battery with solar panel recharge.
Not yet.  I'm only a "no code technician", so I'm not allowed on the HF bands yet.  I've been looking at dual or more band HTs.  I've pretty much narrowed it down to the Icom W32A and Yaesu VX-7R.  Both have features I'd like to have, but neither have ALL of those features.  The Yaesu is closer, but I'll take either one if the price is right.  I want more portability than a mobile unit with external battery.  I know I'm taking a performance hit with the HT, but it's going to be part of an entire kit of gear for hunting or mountain biking.  Along with the HT, I want to build an antenna that can be broken down for easy packing.

Chris

yci

The FCC works fast
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2006, 05:16:37 AM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
I want to build an antenna that can be broken down for easy packing.
Chris
If you're not considering putting the antenna on the bike, you might consider making or buying a roll-up J-pole out of twinlead.  I've also seen some take-down solid element J-poles that might work well.

As to the speed of the FCC generating the call sign, that is due to the VEC's filing the forms electronnically now.  I work with an ARRL/VEC VE team, and when we send in our paperwork to the ARRL/VEC, they used to have to send all the 605's physically into the FCC, and then the Comission would have folks go through them and do whatever it is that needs to be done.  A year or more ago (don't exactly remember when), the FCC decided it would be a good thing to put that work load back onto the VEC's rather than their own people.  Very nice.  Especially since you can operate now without having the paper license.  As long as your name is assigned a call sign in the FCC database, you're legal to operate.  The paper license can take up to two weeks (give or take) following the call sign assignment to arrive.