Author Topic: Camping gear  (Read 2559 times)

Nick1911

• Administrator
Camping gear
« on: June 29, 2012, 12:17:01 PM »
Looks like the frequency of my camping is increasing.  I've been invited to two more camping trips this year (aside from the APS one).

As such, it's probably time to get some very basic camping gear.

Suggest a good quality 1 person tent and sleeping kit.  Other "you really should have this" gear recommendations welcome!

mtnbkr

• friend
Re: Camping gear
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:37:24 PM »
Get a larger than 1-person tent so you'll have room for gear or the unexpected guest.  No specific suggestions here, but REI's tents are good quality and can be had inexpensively when they're on sale (got a Hobitat 4 for $135 after sale and coupon, normally over $300).  Get a *good* tent, not a *mart special.  Most any tent will work in ideal weather, but good tents will shine when conditions are less than ideal.

Get a good sleeping bag.  If you're a cold sleeper, get a warmer bag.  I use a 15deg bag down to 30ish deg, then switch to a -15deg bag.  Even with that bag, it can be chilly when temps drop below 20ish.  Yes, I'm a cold sleeper and sleep under a blanket even during the summer.  My two bags are Cabelas (-15) and North Face.  The Cabelas bag is VERY nice.  Worth a look there...

Get a good sleeping pad.  I like the Thermarest style bags (self inflating air/foam). 

Since you're car camping, get non-backpacking gear and store your stuff in Rubbermade totes.  That way, it's easier to use and maintain, and the tote(s) make packing for a trip easier.

If you're buying lanterns and stoves, try to standardize on fuel.  While I'm a fan of white gas gear, propane (1lb green canisters) is becoming more prevalent even in "remote" areas.   

Chris

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:09:25 PM »
there is probably a big difference between car camping and hike in wilderness camping in choice of a kit- being that all I own vehicle wise ( is a sportbike ) I'm considering ultra light gear for camping.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
Sleeping bag, you will want 2 one for warm weather and one for cold weather. I think Slumberjack brand bags are about the best budget bang for the buck. I had a Slumberjack that I used last weekend.

Since you are car camping, you may want to look at a 4 person tent, dome tents are pretty easy to setup and offer decent head room. As mentioned above avoid the discount store tents, 1st really good thunderstorm you camp through you will be very happy that you spent the extra $50-100.

Stoves, lanterns, etc. Scour Craigslist, you shouldn't have to pay more than $20 for a working Coleman Stove or $25 for a working Coleman lantern. I usually pick up stoves for $10 and have to put about $20 in them in parts and cleaning. Lantern parts are more expensive.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 02:41:51 PM »
Hrm...  Since the Mrs. and I are going camping tomorrow, this is pretty fresh in my mind... :)  Now, all my advice is based strictly on car camping, not backpacking type adventures.  :)

I second the suggestion to get a bigger tent...   As well as a *good* tent...  A quality 4 person tent shouldn't be too much more expensive than a quality 2 person tent.  Plus, I'm not sure how tall you are, but one thing I hate is trying to change in a short tent...   And I really hate finding that because my bag was pushed against the side of the tent, my bag is now very wet from the dew....  Or drenched from the rain.  

Sleeping surfaces - several suggestions and routes available....   From the little Thermarest pads to something like an AeroBed...  All depends on how big your tent is, how much room you want, and how much padding and thermal insulation you want between you and the ground.   But being a bigger guy, as well as a side-sleeper, I like to have something more between my hips and the ground than a little thin pad....  Especially when you climb into bed that first night and find the one rock you missed when setting up the tent.....

Lights....  Have flashlights.  Have *more* than enough flashlights (although I imagine that's probably not an issue).  Lanterns - if you have propane or other hydrocarbon combusting lanterns, make sure you have plenty of fuel as well as spare mantles.   Long matches also are nice for reaching up in there and lighting the lantern without the *FOOMP*....  Speaking of matches, either waterproof matches or keep them in a waterproof container.   Also have a backup means of making fire (lighter, magnesium firestarter, something!).  

Stove....  I actually really like the little red Coleman "tailgater" type stove...  But I also have an adapter hose that lets me connect a 20lb propane tank as opposed to the little 1lb cylinders....    That being said, the Mrs. and I have one of the Camp Chef Explorer stoves.  2 burner, and doesn't have all the different grill/cooking surfaces as the Coleman stove, but it puts out a *lot* more BTU's.   Pretty nice for when you want coffee in the morning, or hot cocoa at night...  

Also gonna second the totes - we have 3 right now... One is our gear tote, that has lanterns, flashlights, air bed, pump, etc....   Another is our "kitchen" tote.   It has all our kitchen stuff - including two little basins that we use for doing dishes...  Third is our dry food tote...  Again, pretty self explanatory.  At night, almost everything from the kitchen and everything from the dry food tote goes back into said totes.  Keeps fearless critters from sniffing/tearing into things....  When we're done with the trip, everything gets cleaned, checked, replaced/restocked if necessary, and then back into the tote.  Then we're ready to go for the next trip.  IMPORTANT NOTE:  Make sure you have a can opener...  In fact, two.  In two different totes...   :)

A good cooler is a definite must.  

Tarps, rope, a small hatchet for splitting firewood into kindling, etc.   We *really* like having a canopy that we can set up over our table at the campsites.  Works equally well for keeping unexpected rain off stuff as keeping the sun from making things too hot...  Garbage bags, also a small broom/dust pan for cleaning out said tent at the end of the trip (it's amazing how many pine needles, etc get tracked into the tent).  

A good first aid kit.

Some of this stuff is "nice to have", others are really "ought to have".  All depends on budget, timing, and the type of camping you're doing...  If you're going with people that go camping regularly, it's nice to avoid duplication, and you can work out who has what and then bring what's needed.  
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 05:06:12 PM »
Back packing or car camping? 
Even for solo car camping I use a large 4 person dome. I'd rather get dressed etc in the tent and have room to keep my stuff dry.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 05:33:07 PM »
Back packing or car camping? 
Even for solo car camping I use a large 4 person dome. I'd rather get dressed etc in the tent and have room to keep my stuff dry.

^this is why the Mrs. and I bought a "10 person" tent for the two of us...  I *hate* fighting the low ceilings....  Plus I'm 6'4".....  So most domes don't even come close....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:27 PM »
More gear suggestions:
Two burner stove is a must.
Hit the dollar store, goodwill or yard sales for your cookware, and you can quite often score other goodies.
Coleman "extreme" 5 day coolers rock. For extended trips, separate cooler for ice. It stays closed until you need to refill the food and drink coolers.
Not all campgrounds have tables. Folding table can come in quite handy.
A good large tarp can be fashioned into a covered seating/eating area with some creative paracord work.
Spices for camp cooking are a must.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 06:12:16 PM »

"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 07:10:05 PM »
^^^ If he were a dog, we'd muzzle him.

I'm not a fan of hiking with a pack so most of my camping has been car camping and I'd really prefer to keep it that way. I have a fondness for plumbing.

I agree with the boys on a larger tent than just space for sleeping. Not having to position yourself around your duffle and anything else you don't want covered in dew whilst trying to sleep makes it worthwhile. And notice I said dew. Even if no rain is predicted, a good coating of dew on your backpack, duffle bag, etc., can really soak it down in some places. But also have a bigger tent because don't you plan on having someone to share it with. Think positive!

Also invest in a good expanding pad for under your sleeping bag, and I always keep a twin size flat sheet folded up with my bag too. I'm never so hot I don't want anything covering me and being able to sleep on top of the bag with a sheet, in the summer, makes me more comfortable.
Also agree with the rubbermaid totes. The lids snap shut and stay that way, as opposed to other brands.

I also kept a grate from an old weber charcoal grill with my camping gear, wrapped in a plastic trash bag. Anything you need to cook can be either wrapped in foil and thrown in the coals or cooked a small cast iron skillet or coffee pot, on the grate. I also keep McCormick sea salt and peppercorn grinders with my camping supplies too. They don't gum up if it gets humid.

I camp because I like to sleep outside in the woods, not because I want to put myself somewhere between uncomfortable and miserable. What you decide on should be determined your comfort levels. I always take a pillow with me, Ben shoves some clothes in the nylon bag his sleeping bag was in - that would make me insane.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2012, 07:42:49 PM »
Go sit in your bathtub, fully dressed.  Try to get undressed while remaining sitting in your bathtub.  Then try to get dressed again while still in your bathtub.  That will give you an idea of what a 1-person tent will be like - except that you will have all your gear in there with you, too.

Pop-ups are good.  The more headroom you can get beyond merely crouching over while trying to maintain you balance the better off you will feel.  (Yeah, there is an issue with warming them in the winter, but I don't hear you planning any winter camps.)

For car camping my personal favorite is a Baker tent (with a good bug screen and a decent floor.)  Lots of room.  Build a fire in front of it for all-night warmth.  A covered porch.  Old shool.  What's not to like.  And since thwey come in modern fabrics you will not need several porters to lug it around for you.  You will need an assistant to set it up.

I second the 2-bag plan, but with a difference.  If possible get something that works as a bag within a bag - more options for dealing with temperature.  But you will need to forego a weatherproof bottom on the bag that goes inside - unless you like sleeping in a pool of sweat.

Green 1-pound propane tanks are probably the easiest to deal with.  If you are going to get a stove as well as lanterns, do yourself a favor and get a collapsable/foldable table as well,  Beats spending your life crouching over the stove.

A ground pad with stiffeners and straps that convert it into a seat can be a real comfort, as long as you can get up without problems.  Otherwise, get one of those folding tripod seats of a decent height.

Remember - you can usually negotiate about 1/3rd off a motel room after midnight.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 11:24:27 PM »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »
Go sit in your bathtub, fully dressed.  Try to get undressed while remaining sitting in your bathtub.  Then try to get dressed again while still in your bathtub.  That will give you an idea of what a 1-person tent will be like - except that you will have all your gear in there with you, too.

Pop-ups are good.  The more headroom you can get beyond merely crouching over while trying to maintain you balance the better off you will feel.  (Yeah, there is an issue with warming them in the winter, but I don't hear you planning any winter camps.)

For car camping my personal favorite is a Baker tent (with a good bug screen and a decent floor.)  Lots of room.  Build a fire in front of it for all-night warmth.  A covered porch.  Old shool.  What's not to like.  And since thwey come in modern fabrics you will not need several porters to lug it around for you.  You will need an assistant to set it up.

I second the 2-bag plan, but with a difference.  If possible get something that works as a bag within a bag - more options for dealing with temperature.  But you will need to forego a weatherproof bottom on the bag that goes inside - unless you like sleeping in a pool of sweat.

Green 1-pound propane tanks are probably the easiest to deal with.  If you are going to get a stove as well as lanterns, do yourself a favor and get a collapsable/foldable table as well,  Beats spending your life crouching over the stove.

A ground pad with stiffeners and straps that convert it into a seat can be a real comfort, as long as you can get up without problems.  Otherwise, get one of those folding tripod seats of a decent height.

Remember - you can usually negotiate about 1/3rd off a motel room after midnight.

stay safe.

He's young. He can handle setting up a tent, crouching over a stove, and not having headroom. Are you familiar with the term "building character" Skid? Let the young man experience things and don't make an old man out of him just yet. Geesh.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 08:01:32 AM »
Tiki torches, don't forget to bring Tiki torches  =)

REI has the Passage 2 on sale right now for 119 bucks. This is your standard two person backpacking tent, two poles, two doors, full coverage rainfly with two small vestibules.

If you want to go bigger I'll keep my eyes open for good deals.

I love my little two burner stove, a must have for car camping. I use propane just for ease of use.

A good self inflating Thermarest style sleep pad at least 2 1/2 inches thick is a must for car camping.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 08:08:24 AM by Ron »
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2012, 08:06:47 AM »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
rei is great, but don't forget these guys   http://www.campmor.com/  some of the best deals around.  check out the slightly soiled tents for more than half off on good quality.

remember you can car camp with backpacking equipment, but not so much the other way around.  an inexpensive tent becomes twice as dry/cool if you put a cheap tarp over it.  find a tarp about 12x16 or larger, and extend it more over the door side for a dry spot in front of the tent.  stake down  the back and tie the front to two trees with the tarp resting on the tent. it's even cooler if you tie it off to four trees.  i prefer white gas for fuel as it is more compact, but some say propane is cleaner with less chance of spillage.  we tend to cook on the fire, as it gives the girls something to keep busy with.  with that in mind, a couple of led lights may be all you need and forget about the fuel debate.  if you are over 6', be sure to get a tall sleeping bag.  some have an opening by the feet to help stay cool.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2012, 10:47:06 AM »
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »
Tiki torches, don't forget to bring Tiki torches  =)

REI has the Passage 2 on sale right now for 119 bucks. This is your standard two person backpacking tent, two poles, two doors, full coverage rainfly with two small vestibules.

If you want to go bigger I'll keep my eyes open for good deals.

I love my little two burner stove, a must have for car camping. I use propane just for ease of use.

A good self inflating Thermarest style sleep pad at least 2 1/2 inches thick is a must for car camping.

Being that I live in the wilderness, and basically camping yr round I must agree about the therma rest, I slept on mine last night, on a OK folding camp cot and a thermarest I slept great-all the indoor rooms were to warm.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."