Author Topic: This *expletive deleted* is one of the reasons our society is circling the drain  (Read 1992 times)

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-lifeguard-follow-20120704,0,4887768.story

Lifeguard leaves his "zone" to save someone's ass. Lifeguard gets fired by management dweebs.

I still contend one of the biggest mistakes ever made by American business was to let such worthless sacks of meat who lack balls and can't find their asses with both hands into supervisory positions...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MechAg94

• friend
I would agree that utlraprotective liability concerns are way out of hand in a lot of areas.  Unfortunately, trail lawyer groups put a lot of effort into blocking any attempt to limit liability.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
I would agree that utlraprotective liability concerns are way out of hand in a lot of areas.  Unfortunately, trail lawyer groups put a lot of effort into blocking any attempt to limit liability.

Are those the ones that cyber-stalk via the TV infomercials telling me all the different ways I might be entitled to substantial compensation, and that I don't need to file a lawsuit to get my hands on the dough?

I am not opposed, per se, to limiting liability.  Unfortunately, with the present contingency fee system we seem to be stuck with, liability awards need to be about three times as big as are the needs of the actual plaintiff.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
i wonder if this was a setup to get him fired?  employer doesn't care for lifegaurd x,  creates scenario where he can say he wasn't doing his job and fires him.  (sorry, but it popped into my head when i read the story.)  why else would a boss fire a lifegaurd for trying to save someone?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats

Texas has shown that a state can wrestle the tilecrawlers to the floor and put a check on their depradations:
http://www.obgynnews.com/news/across-specialties/single-article/texas-has-more-doctors-since-tort-reform/dd227721ce0abce885b311a812d06278.html

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-lifeguard-follow-20120704,0,4887768.story

Lifeguard leaves his "zone" to save someone's ass. Lifeguard gets fired by management dweebs.

I still contend one of the biggest mistakes ever made by American business was to let such worthless sacks of meat who lack balls and can't find their asses with both hands into supervisory positions...

Which is a direct byproduct of our overly litiguous society.  Which is a direct byproduct of a distinct unwillingness to assume personal responsibility.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Which is a direct byproduct of our overly litiguous society.  Which is a direct byproduct of a distinct unwillingness to assume personal responsibility.

Word.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
We started preferring managers to leaders right about the same time "peace officer" was swept into the dustbin of history by law enforcement. Hmmm, all one big drain.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net

Na, it's not about personal responsibility. Fair number of lawsuits are about getting a pay day.

It's rarely about responsibility, often (maybe usually?) just money. 
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
I doubt I would want blanket liability limits, just limits in some key areas.  I think some other changes might be necessary in the way our courts operate and what cases are allowed to proceed.  If someone is truly at fault, I have no problem with that costing them, but when someone sues because the business didn't post a warning sign/label or something, the courts and or juries really should be throwing those cases out with prejudice.  I don't know if that requries changes in people's thinking or actual changes in law. 

A loser-pays system might help, but I am not fully certain that would be the best solution.  I was also thinking we should get rid of the system that finds someone XX% at fault and splits the judgement.  I have never really liked that concept.  I think it encourages juries to find defendants at fault. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
Didn't something like this happen in Britain recently where Emergency presonnel watched a person struggle and drown until a college kid dove in and rescued the victim?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
Another story came out saying a second lifeguard was also fired for saying (I assume on camera) that he agreed with the actions of the first lifeguard.  If true, the manager is terrified of violating policy.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Hawkmoon

• friend
Updated news has it that the manager has offered the kid his job back. Said manager says his decision was based on "the information available at the time," but that he now has better information.

Meanwhile, the kid has declined to be re-hired, and most of the rest of the team have also quit, so the manager had better buy a new pair of swim trunks and get his certs in order, because he works for a company that has a contractual responsibility to the municipality to provide lifeguards ... and he just came up a wee bit short on the head count.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

MechAg94

• friend
Does the media actually swallow the line of "I have received new information"?  Everyone knows it is BS.  I am curious if the reporters receiving that answer bothered to press him on it.