Author Topic: When raccoons attack  (Read 4001 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
When raccoons attack
« on: July 11, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
Re: When raccoons attack
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
Let me be the first to say THIS: nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Phyphor

• friend
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
Apply detcord NOW!
"You know what's messed-up about taxes?
You don't even pay taxes. They take tax.
You get your check, money gone.
That ain't a payment, that's a jack." - Chris Rock "Bigger and Blacker"
He slapped his rifle. "This is one of the best arguments for peace there is. Nobody wants to shoot if somebody is going to shoot back. " Callaghen, Callaghen, Louis La'mour

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:59:27 PM »
12 guage; heavy shot. That's if they need to be stopped! If all you want to do is kill them, then #6 shot will do. A .22 Long Rifle works but when they're on the move or in a populated/built up area the shotgun solution would be my preference.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 04:40:11 PM »
Thank goodness the Pasteur Treatment has been improved on - no more series of 21 shots in the abdomen.

I was rather surprised there was no mention of her receiving rabies prophylaxis, or of a warning that the behavior is "indicative" of rabid animals.

Apparently Washington State racoons, while not civilized, are thought to be healthy.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 05:38:24 PM »
aren't we supposed to be top of the food chain? 
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 05:49:12 PM »
aren't we supposed to be top of the food chain? 

The raccoons apparently didn't get the memo.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 06:06:39 PM »
Coons are dirty, filthy, destructive animals, infested with lethal (to humans) parasites and rabies. The only good raccoon is a dead raccoon.

I do my best to make them all good raccoons. [ar15]

Edited to insert additional information
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:06:52 AM by Sergeant Bob »
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 07:32:21 PM »
http://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Raccoons-chase-attack-Washington-state-woman-3697889.php

Let me be the first to say it:

What caliber for raccoons?

20 MIKE-MIKE.
Barring that, .30-30.  Or .30 carbine.  Or .44-40.  Or .45Colt.  Or/ *SNIP!*
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2012, 08:09:22 PM »
Use the same thing you'd use on zombies....not much difference b/t the two.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:51 PM »
I've caught two racoons in my live trap that I'm using to catch 4 squirrels that are trashing my bird feeders.  I've gotten 3 of the squirrels, tho.

The 'coons are small, maybe yearlings.  I can't shoot 'em because we are in a neighborhood now.  So I've driven 10 miles away and released 'em in a state forest and an experimental game area with a large 10 acre pond, lots of woods and other critters.  Hopefull they will be killed as interlopers on other racoon territory.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:31 PM »
I would think a good stomp would work on raccoons that close.  I was also thinking that dog should have killed at least a couple.  Barking is insufficient.  He needs practice.  

I recall one time a while back at an apartment complex, I walked out to the dumpster to throw a couple bags in.  As soon as they landed, about 6 raccoons came streaming out of the dumpster around and over the fence.  I was barefoot in shorts and T-shirt.  I recall thinking why did they run?  I wasn't going to do anything to them.  I was backing off.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Caught in the feed, a .22 works pretty good. Out about the place .45 Colt is what I use.

They can rip a dog up pretty quick. If they are close to water, the dog is in trouble. I shot a big one off one of my dogs back in the creek right behind the house.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2012, 08:47:34 AM »
Does anyone know if pepper spray works on raccoons?  Reason I ask is that the damn things are overpopulated in my neighborhood, and I've been confronted once or twice by one coming out of a sewer.  The dog usually is enough to chase them off...slowly...and I trust that my dog will do more than bark.  But I'd rather spray one at a few paces and walk away than have to patch up my girl.  (Shooting is truly a last resort in a suburban neighborhood.)
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Does anyone know if pepper spray works on raccoons?  Reason I ask is that the damn things are overpopulated in my neighborhood, and I've been confronted once or twice by one coming out of a sewer.  The dog usually is enough to chase them off...slowly...and I trust that my dog will do more than bark.  But I'd rather spray one at a few paces and walk away than have to patch up my girl.  (Shooting is truly a last resort in a suburban neighborhood.)
Get a nice functional but decorative walking stick or cane.  Walking stick is longer.  Not good for jogging, but if you are just walking it would work.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2012, 09:42:36 AM »
Caught in the feed, a .22 works pretty good. Out about the place .45 Colt is what I use.

They can rip a dog up pretty quick. If they are close to water, the dog is in trouble. I shot a big one off one of my dogs back in the creek right behind the house.

jim
Growing up, we had hound dogs at the house.  Once we had two and I saw them surround a raccoon in the yard.  As soon as the raccoon turned to the other dog, the male dog got it by the neck and it was dead in a second.  I guess it depends on the dog or maybe more than one dog.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2012, 10:52:12 AM »
Get a nice functional but decorative walking stick or cane.  Walking stick is longer.  Not good for jogging, but if you are just walking it would work.

I advocate this same approach for general walking about when there are unruly dogs in the area.  I have a Cold Steel imitation blackthorn cane and it would definitely leave a mark.

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2012, 11:41:46 AM »
I would suggest a sjambok.

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2012, 12:36:10 PM »
Check the prices at Goodwill - 3-woods and smaller, or any of the irons.  Of course, once you get paast a 5-iron it is almost incumbent on you to video for purposes of documenting the loft as well as distance you can get.  The nice thing about golf clubs is they can be aplied to ankle-biter dogs as well.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2012, 01:05:13 PM »
I popped 2 raccoons last year with a .22, one with a Henry Rifle, the other with a Ruger MKIII.
Both of 'em got adequately dead right now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams