Author Topic: Longmire dialog  (Read 15740 times)

SADShooter

• friend
Re: Longmire dialog
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 12:00:34 PM »
...the dicktards at A&E did it. http://deadline.com/2014/09/longmire-shopped-digital-cable-networks-warner-bros-829755/  :mad:

I hadn't seen this posted elsewhere. Possible good news, the producers are shopping the show for a new home.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 01:51:47 PM »
Yeah, I saw that a couple weeks ago.  But since I don't have TV, it really meant nothing to me.  The thing I saw that driving this is not that show isn't successful, but that A&E wants to "own" all the shows it broadcasts.  So it's all about power.

AFAIC, A&E can go pound sand.  Longmire is reported to be their most successful show.  So I hope that it finds a new home on a different channel, becomes more popular then it is now, and what A&E produces on their own to replace it eats a bag a dicks, because that's what the exec's at A&E deserve.  Did they work at Fox in the early 2000's?
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 01:56:20 PM »
Longmire was the only A&E program I watched. I have zero interest in Redneck Storage Diva Intervention.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 02:17:07 PM »
Good for nothing A&E execs. What dumbass reality show are they replacing it with? I was kinda afraid of this, given the way the last episode this season seemed to wrap up some story lines a bit too hastily. I understand that reality shows make the networks more money with less investment, but you would think a network named "Arts & Entertainment" would keep some quality content to live up to their name.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it gets picked up by a network with brains. Until then, at least I've still got more of the books to read, though I'm already more than halfway through them.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 03:11:20 PM »
FWIW, I was in Kaycee WY (Johnson County - the model for the books) a couple days ago, and the old Texaco station has been turned into a bar.

Seems like in the book that Longmire's Indian buddy (or some character...?) ran a bar in a converted gas station  =|  So I guess maybe that place is the inspiration for it  ???

Anyway, we were in a hurry to get home before dark, so I didn't drive the four blocks down to the Chris Ledoux memorial park  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Unisaw

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 03:13:27 PM »
According to today's Wall Street Journal, Longmire was A&E's second most successful show (after Duck Dynasty).  The article says it was cancelled because the viewers are too old (median age of 60 versus 48 for the network as a whole) and because A&E doesn't have an ownership stake in the show.
Well, if you have the sudden urge to lick your balls you'll know you got the veterinary version... K Frame

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2014, 03:56:40 PM »
According to today's Wall Street Journal, Longmire was A&E's second most successful show (after Duck Dynasty).  The article says it was cancelled because the viewers are too old (median age of 60 versus 48 for the network as a whole) and because A&E doesn't have an ownership stake in the show.

Interesting. I would have figured by all the younger folks here that like it that the median age would have been a good deal lower. But then we're all weirdos.  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2014, 07:30:09 PM »

Maybe the execs at A&E don't keep up with industry news/trends. Just a couple of days ago I saw (but did not read) an article on the subject that television is only watched by older people.

If that's a valid premise, then dropping shows aimed at a mature audience in order to cater to an audience that doesn't watch television would not appear to be a brilliant strategem.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 10:23:33 AM »
Anyway, we were in a hurry to get home before dark, so I didn't drive the four blocks down to the Chris Ledoux memorial park

INFIDEL!!!!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:53 AM »
INFIDEL!!!!

Yeah, really - but we wanted to get home before dark so we could feed our horses instead of the neighbors having to do it one more time.  We had already spent about a half hour walking around at Independence Rock.

Someday I would actually like to be a tourist instead of just driving 10+ hours both ways to see relatives and friends  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 06:51:12 PM »
Saw this on IMDB. From Craig Johnson's Friendface page:

Longmire author posted this yesterday on his FB page. Big PR disaster for A&E!

"Riding for the Brand

There’s an old saying among cowboys—you ride for the brand. If you’re hired on, you do your job the best you can and you don’t whine or complain about the outfit—but there does come a time, if you are mistreated with intent, when you leave that employ and need to clear the air.
If you’ve been stapling barbed wire up in a lineman’s shack for the last couple of weeks, you might not be aware that the A&E network cancelled Longmire. We’re all still kind of reeling from the news that a network would cancel the highest-rated, scripted drama it’s ever had, a show that was consistently one of the top ten cable shows of any given week—one of the top 25 of the summer including the networks.
A lot of people have been asking me why?
The excuse that the network used was that ratings were down from the previous season from 4.2 to 3.9 million, but with adjusted DVR recordings, Longmire was still holding steady at close to 6 million… And that’s with A&E cutting us down to ten episodes and giving us a less than enviable lead-in--four-year-old reruns of Criminal Minds that were pulling -72%, no promotion or advertising, and a general ambivalence to the show as a whole.
The other excuse was that the show wasn’t pulling as much as they wanted in the 18-49 demographic. We more than hold our own in the 25-50 demographic—now, I’m no television executive (thank goodness), but I don’t know of any 18 year-olds out there who are buying Dodge trucks. I still remember being told that Longmire pretty much sold itself, “Oh, we’ve got advertisers lined up to such an extent that we're turning people away."
So what gives?
A&E has made it clear that it wants to own and produce the shows it airs, and the one it doesn’t own, the highest-rated scripted drama they’ve ever had-- Longmire—is not theirs. They’ve had success with Bates Motel (which, even with A&E’s blessings and full support, has yet to achieve the ratings Longmire has) and have had disasters like Those Who Kill (which was cancelled after only two weeks), but then they were trying to strong-arm Warner into selling them Longmire. Now, if I remember correctly, Warner Brothers were the ones who taught Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney how to be tough guys back in the thirties… Good luck with that, A&E. Maybe that next reality show, Tattooed Eskimo Swamp Hunters will turn out to be a winner.
At this point in time, the producers and Warner Horizon are pitching to other networks in hopes that one of them is smart enough to take on a proven winner like Longmire, and we’ll hopefully land in an environment that appreciates and supports the show.
People have been asking what they can do to help in finding Longmire a new home, and the best thing you can do is continue talking up the show in all the social media, whether it be Facebook, Twitter, blogs or the net-sphere. If you’re looking for a place to register your support, sign up for Twitter (it’s easy, even Walt could do it) if you aren’t already on there and join the blitz tonight (Monday) at 10 PM ET/9 C/8 MT/7 PT—the Longmire time slot—and keep tweeting and retweeting #longlivelongmire.
From the response that A&E’s garnered from dropping Longmire, it looks as if it may be the biggest PR disaster for the network. People are actually contacting their cable and satellite providers and requesting that A&E be removed from their subscription packages.—they have had to hire on extra operators for the amount of complaints that have been registered.
Wow.
In closing, I think those executives at A&E forgot to take one thing into consideration—we’re cowboys, we ride for the brand and we don’t walk away.
See you on the trail,
-Craig"

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2014, 01:05:18 PM »
So who's going to have the guts to pick up a Longmire/Firefly crossover series?   =D

(And how can we work The Middleman into that one too?)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »
So who's going to have the guts to pick up a Longmire/Firefly crossover series?   =D

(And how can we work The Middleman into that one too?)

Serenity flies through a worm hole and lands in 21st Century rural Wyoming ...?    =|

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:14 PM »
Serenity flies through a worm hole and lands in 21st Century rural Wyoming ...?

Picks up the cast of Longmire, and enlists the Middleman's help to find a planet where the Alliance & Empire channel doesn't have enough market share to matter...

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2014, 03:19:18 PM »
Picks up the cast of Longmire, and enlists the Middleman's help to find a planet where the Alliance & Empire channel doesn't have enough market share to matter...

Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2015, 12:17:02 PM »
Resurrecting to post this: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/longmire-team-season-4s-second-234139288.html

Season 4 premieres 10 September on Netflix.

Let the laconic one-liners begin.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2015, 01:40:49 PM »
Resurrecting to post this: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/longmire-team-season-4s-second-234139288.html

Any good news for The Middleman and Firefly while you're at it?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2015, 01:43:13 PM »
Any good news for The Middleman and Firefly while you're at it?

"A nuthin' and a nuthin', carry the nuthin'..."

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »

Makes me want to step outside for a tall glass of milk with some of the network execs.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
SciFi's Killjoys is trying to emulate a lot of Firefly elements.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
SciFi's Killjoys is trying to emulate a lot of Firefly elements.

Thanks for that heads up! Hadn't heard of the series before. Added to Netflix Queue. Now I have to wait.  :laugh:

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2015, 04:01:53 PM »
Season 1 is airing Friday nights after Defiance.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »

Let the laconic one-liners begin.

Another reason I need to talk with SWMBO about getting Netflix...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2015, 09:40:19 AM »
Well, I watched the first episode last night. (Thank you for necroing the thread, btw.)

Very good. Aside from the expected Hollywood stupidity on guns* I was very pleased. Definitely will have to catch up before the next season comes out.

(*Oh, that's a 45-70, he had to be using a Sharps!... Really? Cause I have one in my basement and it's most assuredly not a Sharps. In fact, it's FAR more likely to have been used to shoot a 45-70 than an antique rifle. But I digress.)

I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought