Author Topic: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer  (Read 31271 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Re: Tort bar shuts down gas can manufacturer
« Reply #75 on: April 08, 2013, 01:44:00 PM »
I remember when you could get the metal cans for a couple of bucks (or less).  Hell, the old one gallon metal ones my dad has are looking pretty good.  He's got a lawn service now, so maybe it's time to sell the mower and I'll ask for the gas cans.

Also, I saw on Stossel when I was at my folks house that one of the big problems after hurricane Sandy was not only the stupid .gov rules regarding gas stations and pricing, but also that because Blitz had gone out of business that there were no gas cans to be had.   People were showing up with anything and everything to hold gas, only to be told "NO, you can't put gasoline in THAT!!"
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2013, 07:39:48 PM »
I guess it's a good thing that people don't put gas in recycled containers at credit card pumps late at night  :angel:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #78 on: April 08, 2013, 07:58:19 PM »
I remember when you could get the metal cans for a couple of bucks (or less).  Hell, the old one gallon metal ones my dad has are looking pretty good.  He's got a lawn service now, so maybe it's time to sell the mower and I'll ask for the gas cans.

Also, I saw on Stossel when I was at my folks house that one of the big problems after hurricane Sandy was not only the stupid .gov rules regarding gas stations and pricing, but also that because Blitz had gone out of business that there were no gas cans to be had.   People were showing up with anything and everything to hold gas, only to be told "NO, you can't put gasoline in THAT!!"

I miss the old one gallon square gas cans, they stacked so neat on the shelf in the garage.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator

Uranus is a gas giant.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
Grainger supply has Jerry cans.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BRIGGS-STRATTON-Spill-Proof-Gas-Can-4FZE6?Pid=search

No. Those aren't Jerry cans. They have the stupid spout.  If you can't screw or jam (depending on age)a donkey dick on it, it's not right.

This is what you want.

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2013, 08:25:13 PM »
http://www.lexingtoncontainercompany.com/Nato-Jerry-Cans.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00ADLHN3S/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

I often wonder how many decent things I miss because of sites that play music/ads/noise without me asking them to.  I tend to click away from them before I see what they have.
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2013, 01:09:36 PM »
Did one of those sites autoplay something DD? I didn't see anything like that, but then I probably had the audio out muted on the computer when I viewed it.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2013, 03:58:20 PM »
Yeah, the first one.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2013, 04:01:08 PM »
Yeah, the first one.

Bummer, sorry about that.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2013, 04:07:28 PM »
 If you can't screw or jam (depending on age)a donkey dick on it, it's not right.

Quote-worthy.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2013, 11:00:53 PM »
Bummer, sorry about that.

No biggie.  I was just tossing an off-cuff remark about a pet peeve.

At least it wasn't rap or beatbox!  :laugh:
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2013, 01:05:02 PM »
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/12/09/21822330-wal-mart-agrees-to-contribute-25-million-to-settle-gas-can-explosion-lawsuits?lite

Given that the original manufacturer is bankrupt and has exhausted its insurance coverage, the tort bar expanded their search for deep pockets. 

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
A possible good way to keep gas in the shed without the lawsuit-resistant safety "features" getting between me and pouring gas in equipment:

Buy a "water" jerry can:
http://www.amazon.com/Scepter-04933-Water-Can-5-Gallon/dp/B000MTI0GA

It's the same plastic, same nozzle and vent as the pre-lawsuit-resistant designs, just a different color and not "approved" for gasoline. I plan to get one and just mark it with some spray paint so it can't be mistaken for a water container.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2013, 06:22:42 PM »
A possible good way to keep gas in the shed without the lawsuit-resistant safety "features" getting between me and pouring gas in equipment:

Buy a "water" jerry can:

It's the same plastic, same nozzle and vent as the pre-lawsuit-resistant designs, just a different color and not "approved" for gasoline. I plan to get one and just mark it with some spray paint so it can't be mistaken for a water container.

or if you like metal

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-10l-jerry-can-gloss-olive-drab.aspx?a=1168835

Uranus is a gas giant.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2013, 07:07:18 PM »
Death by a thousand cuts....

Time to go stock up on gas cans....

Too late.

I loathe and detest plastic gas cans. I grew up on Eagle steel cans, and they just don't exist any more. Can't even find replacement nozzles for them if I find a used can in good condition. There was a brief period after they disappeared from the American market when I could get them in Canada, but I foolishly thought that condition would carry on for awhile so I didn't order -- and then the Canadians killed them off, too.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2013, 07:23:44 PM »
or if you like metal

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/military-style-10l-jerry-can-gloss-olive-drab.aspx?a=1168835

I bought one of those 20L cans a few years ago (although I think they were EU military surplus rather than new at the time) plus a spout.  I should get a couple more while they are still available.
"It's good, though..."

Marnoot

• friend

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
They won't. Different locking interface.

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »

Hmm... I may need to go with the "US" style then.

Pharmacology

• friends
« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2013, 11:41:46 PM »
FTFY

LIEK THIS SCOUT???

etf: reduced the size to go easy on our dial up members. Spelling error untouched.  But no, needs to be more blackened.  ;) =D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 02:18:23 PM by scout26 »

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2013, 01:42:55 PM »

In a just society, we would not allow deadbeats to sue gas container companies for a loved one frying themselves to a deep crisp, Darwin Award style.

We would instead said gas can makers medals, shower them with praise and ask them to continue the good work.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #97 on: December 14, 2013, 10:45:10 PM »
In a just society, we would not allow deadbeats to sue gas container companies for a loved one frying themselves to a deep crisp, Darwin Award style.

We would instead said gas can makers medals, shower them with praise and ask them to continue the good work.

Can I use this quote on another forum? I've got an idiot on a garage/mechanic's forum claiming that it is Blitz's fault for not *expletive deleted*tard proofing the gas cans.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2013, 01:51:53 PM »
Can I use this quote on another forum? I've got an idiot on a garage/mechanic's forum claiming that it is Blitz's fault for not *expletive deleted*tard proofing the gas cans.

On a garage forum? Wow. Bet he thinks adding alcohol to gas is a good idea too.........

I have wondered if the "pouring gas on a fire and burning oneself" events happened before, or after, the mandate for the new and improved unusable spouts? iow-- were they a direct result of making the cans clumsy to operate? 

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2013, 07:59:03 PM »

Buy a "water" jerry can:

I found myself in a Wal-Mart this afternoon. There was NO handgun ammo in the case, so I bethought myself of this thread and went looking at gas "cans." 5-gallon red plastic = $19.95 in the auto department. Made of HDPE.

Meandering over to the sporting goods department, I found a 6-gallon water container for $9.95. Also made of HDPE. For what it's worth, I felt (subjectively) that the plastic in the gasoline container was perhaps a bit thicker, but I had no way to weigh, measure or objectively compare. And the gas container had a longer nozzle.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design