Author Topic: Missoula mom recounts mountain lion crouched near daughter  (Read 712 times)

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Missoula mom recounts mountain lion crouched near daughter
« on: July 28, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/missoula-mom-recounts-mountain-lion-crouched-near-daughter/article_4532520b-7a46-5f61-88d9-aae6db4a0987.html

a mountain lion came entirely too close to their campground, fixated upon Gerhard’s 4-year-old daughter Zoe, and refused to leave

I guess I don't have to say that I wouldn't be calling 9-1-1 in an incident like this ...  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Missoula mom recounts mountain lion crouched near daughter
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 12:26:54 PM »
“He was so professional and so reassuring,” Gerhard said, pointing out that Kolbe – who lives 15 minutes away – arrived within 20 minutes of getting the call, even before a 9-1-1 dispatcher called back.

Well, that's very helpful I am sure.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I, too, would be waving my arms to make myself look bigger, but one of those arms would be holding a .357 just in case.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 03:55:32 PM »
I, too, would be waving my arms to make myself look bigger, but one of those arms would be holding a .357 just in case.

Front sight ... squeeze .........  >:D

Actually, this is a situation where a warning shot might be useful.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 05:36:29 PM »
its one of the things I worry about out here, I saw a huge mountain lion once out here, it looked as big as any African cat.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »
Front sight ... squeeze .........  >:D

Actually, this is a situation where a warning shot might be useful.

That would be the first thing I would do.  It might look good for any subsequent Federal or State charges for killing a protected species.  At least you tried to scare it away first and then had no other options to save the life of yourself or others. 

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 08:37:17 PM »
That would be the first thing I would do.  It might look good for any subsequent Federal or State charges for killing a protected species.  At least you tried to scare it away first and then had no other options to save the life of yourself or others. 

Unless I started out looking for a lion to turn into a rug, there is not going to be any "warning" shots if I decide that use of a firearm is necessary.  The rocks, sticks, and "language appropriate under the circumstances" that were hurled at the lion, before I decided that using a firearm was necessary, should be sufficient proof of trying to shoo it away.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 09:08:53 PM »
Unless I started out looking for a lion to turn into a rug, there is not going to be any "warning" shots if I decide that use of a firearm is necessary.  The rocks, sticks, and "language appropriate under the circumstances" that were hurled at the lion, before I decided that using a firearm was necessary, should be sufficient proof of trying to shoo it away.

stay safe.

I can see the cross-examination now:

'Mr. Skidmark, what proof did you have that the mountain lion understood English and therefore ignored your commands to cease and desist its hostile approach?'.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 06:35:37 AM »
I can see the cross-examination now:

'Mr. Skidmark, what proof did you have that the mountain lion understood English and therefore ignored your commands to cease and desist its hostile approach?'.

"It should be obvious to anyone that the lion understood English at least as wel as my ex-wife, who holds two advanced college degrees although she was (and still is) as dumb as a board.  I spoke with clear pronounciation and enunciation, using common words suitable for casual conversation with a 4th-grader.  However, like my ex-wife would do, the lion ignored my words and refused to do as I said."

All of the men and a goodly percentage of any of the women on my jury would immediately understand and therefore vote to aquit me.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.