Author Topic: Just closed on my first house!  (Read 1207 times)

cfabe

• friend
Just closed on my first house!
« on: June 15, 2006, 01:29:12 PM »
I just got back from the title agency, just closed on my first house. It's a 2 bed, 1.5 bath ranch, with a unfinished upstairs that I'll eventually make into a master, bath, and nursery/den. 2.5 car garage. Located on a nice street in a good suburban area. First project will be removing the awnings and painting the outside. Thanks all you who gave me advice here.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 01:32:23 PM »
Yes, I can tell from here that it needs radiant floor heat. Tongue

CONGRATS!! Looks nice.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 02:26:37 PM »
Congratulations!
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

matis

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 07:45:35 AM »
Hey cfabe, what's wrong with awnings?

I just paid someone to install awnings someone else didn't want -- on south facing windows.  Painted them to match the house and they look great and do a good job of blocking the sun and reducing the load on the AC.

On older houses they can look quite nice.

Congratulations on owning your own home.  Instead of buying a house for your landlord, you're now buying the house for yourself and your family.  Bubble or not, real estate appreciates over the long haul.  The raft keeps rising and now you're on it instead of watching it rise further and further out of reach.

Very best wishes.

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2006, 07:52:01 AM »
Congratulations!

Yeah you're going to like those awings in the summer time when you electric bill is lower from running the AC than if the sun was blazing into the place.

C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2006, 08:12:59 AM »
Congratulations!

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2006, 09:53:41 AM »
Congrats, and a neat looking place to boot!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2006, 10:07:30 AM »
Most excellent, sir.

What kind of heating do you have?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2006, 10:50:54 AM »
I agree about the awnings...leave 'em there.  People in Florida used to take them off all the older houses and the house just loses charachter.  I liked mine.

Greg

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006, 07:33:35 AM »
The heat is a new (2005) 80% natural gas forced air furnace, there is also central air but the outside unit is older, perhaps 30+ years old. There is maybe 3" of insulation in the attic, and probably none in the walls. I'll have to do some insulation this summer. I'd like to install a wood stove that I already have, but I'd have to install a new metal chimney and that's not likely in the budget for this year. Maybe next year.

The awnings may help with summer heat, but they're so fugly. I may replace them with some better looking awnings, but what I really don't like about them is standing inside, they block the upper half of the window, and all you can see is front yard.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2006, 07:43:22 AM »
I like the awnings, they just need some pizazz....maybe paint the trim and awnings another color, also might add some extra curb appeal to the casa.  I think it might lose some charachter (Sp?) if you pull them off.
Regardless, congrats on your first house.  Please tell me you got an inspection.  If not, pony up and get one done right now so you know if you have any potential problems.
Let me get this right...the upstairs is unfinshed, but the basement is finished?  That's kinda odd...failed remodel?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 01:07:00 PM »
No actually both the upstairs/attic and the basement are unfinished. The upstairs was never finished, and apparantely that was pretty common on these 50s tract houses, I've seen a couple others in this city also with unfinished upstairs. And lots that have already had it finished. With the way the stairs are done in the house and the current roofline, there's a headroom (actually, torso-room) problem, I'll have to rework the stairs or bump out a dormer to fix that, but the area upstairs is about 9 feet tall at the peak, with about a 9/12 pitch so there can be some good sized rooms up there.

To be honest I don't think the house has all that much character even with the awnings, it looks exactly like all the other houses on the street, awnings and all. Eventually I might like to add a front porch, I think that would give it some character and set it apart from many of the other houses. The ones that do have porches always seem so much more cozy and inviting, to me anyway.

Jamis I did get an inspection, btw. And the inspector did notice a few things I wouldn't have, nothing serious and it was all taken care of, but it's good for peace of mind.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 01:23:56 PM »
I agree, I think you need a full length porch and a rocking chair.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

matis

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2006, 04:34:06 PM »
Quote from: Iain
I agree, I think you need a full length porch and a rocking chair.
Don't forget the pipe and slippers.   cheesy

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.