Author Topic: Anyone else enjoy a nice big snack before they turn in?  (Read 3774 times)

cosine

• Administrator
Anyone else enjoy a nice big snack before they turn in?
« on: June 16, 2006, 06:52:01 PM »
I just finished off a half cup of taco dip with a couple dozen tortilla chips, a peach, and a big glass of milk. Delicious! Cheesy

I pretty much always eat a big snack before I retire. How 'bout you?
Andy

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
Oops, just noticed Preacherman's thread. Sorry about that. Hope this thread doesn't distract you too much. Smiley
Andy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2006, 07:38:17 PM »
Generally not at home, but when on work travel in the sticks where there's not much else to do but surf APS in the hotel room, I often do.  I'm on work travel through tomorrow. It's 2130, and I just polished off two Entelman's old fashioned doughnuts and a bottle of Cowabunga chocolate milk. Smiley
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Twycross

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2006, 08:24:57 PM »
Not very often. I used to have some sort of snack about every night, but that was back in the schoolyear, when I was routinely staying up past 1:00am doing homework. Every once in a while, I'd just take a 'family size' bag of Doritos and a couple liters of Mountain Dew, and stay up all night studying/snacking. But those days are not to be seen again for a couple months. Smiley

Now, I only snack occasionally, when I have to work till 11:00pm-midnight.

As far as actual snack material, it's chips, pop-tarts, or muffins for the most part.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 03:45:47 AM »
Yeah I enjoy one, but that doesn't mean it is good for me.   I recall you are young. I am aged at 31 and trying to undo damage done by 3-4 years of bachelordom, eating what I wanted, when I wanted, and as much as I wanted.  The big positive effect that I was able to put on the muscle I had tried to for so many years.  That came with fat though(no, not that fat, never lost sight of my belt buckle or anything else that direction) and it was coupled with natural slowing of my metabolism and a job where I worked so much there was no desire for aerobic exercise.  

The end point was my body revolted. It could not carry around 40 some extra pounds, I could not safely run any great distance and my genetic sensitivity to sugar(Dad is Type II) came out. I also got irritable bowel syndrome quite frequently which I am here to tell you comes from old/oxidized fats and grease.  The IBS and the sugar affected my moods fiercely, and that today is the main reason I eat correctly. Feed me ice cream and within 30 minutes I will be hypersensitve to any noise, smell, or stupid arguement. My head will feel pressure and I will be very drowsy. I really have to limit my carb intake. The IBS is gone now that I watch what grease I eat. The result is i still have my muscle but have dropped most all of the fat, now at 6'1" 205-210 lbs.  Never once did I look externally unhealthy but I think 5 more years of that would have killed me.  So, my point is enjoy yourself, but keep in mind the consequences. All things in moderation.  

So, an ideal bedtime snack for me is some 70% dark chocolate and a glass of bourbon, sometime sherry. Popcorn or cheese and crackers sometimes. Not often though.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Live Free Or Die

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 04:18:52 AM »
I'm generally not too hungry before bedtime (late dinners combined with early bedtimes).  Having said that...

So, an ideal bedtime snack for me is some 70% dark chocolate and a glass of bourbon, sometime sherry.
Now THAT's a nice snack!  Cheesy  'Cept 1/2 a glass should be fine for me.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 05:22:41 AM »
No.  I'm trying to keep my weight down, and eating right before you shut down your metabolisim is generally a bad idea.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 06:52:25 AM »
I'm trying to keep my weight down, and eating right before you shut down your metabolisim is generally a bad idea
Well, sleeping is not exactly shutting down one's metabolism.  More like dropping to a fast idle from WOT of wakefulness. Cheesy

Not a big snack, but usually I'll consume a 1/2 cup of cottage cheese with 1/2 can (cat food sized can) of tuna or salmon with a bit of chipolte olive oil.  Enough to satisfy the hunger at the end of the day, but not so much that I'm not ravenous by 15 minutes after arising from bed in the morning.  If I've missed the early evening meal for some reason (I normally eat six small meals throughout the day), I may go with a big bowl of air popped pop-corn with some chipolte olive oil and a sprinkling of NaCl.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2006, 07:00:12 AM »
I find that if I eat too close to bed time, the next morning I wake up feeling like a balloon, and and lay out some belches that just won't quit.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 11:57:50 AM »
Generally, I try to avoid eating right before going to bed.  I don't know how it effects my weight, but I do know that I don't sleep well on a full stomach.

If I must eat something, I try to go for a bowl of cereal.  Good, crunchy, high fiber, low fat kind of cereal; not that colored sugar stuff.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 05:25:07 PM »
Not to drift too far, but do any of you that drink alcohol before bed wake up feeling unrested??  I've noticed this, and all i can figure is its the booze.  Taken in moderation, for the record.  all bets are off yer just stupid with it.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2006, 05:26:20 AM »
Quote from: Baus44
Not to drift too far, but do any of you that drink alcohol before bed wake up feeling unrested??  I've noticed this, and all i can figure is its the booze.  Taken in moderation, for the record.  all bets are off yer just stupid with it.
If I have just a couple pretty much right before bed, yea, I get the same effect.   Sometimes even insomnia where I can't sleep for an hour or more.  Enough to feel drunk and sleeping isn't a problem Tongue
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2006, 08:13:41 AM »
Quote from: Baus44
Beer does that to me. Whiskey, on the other hand, helps me get to sleep and stay that way.

If I drink beer, it has to be

a) well before bed or

b) sufficient quantity to cause inebriation

A couple beers right before bed, and I'm awake for hours. It's something to do with metabolizing the carbs, I guess. 100-proof Yukon Jack and water put me out like a light. Yes, in moderation, even.

I don't care to eat before bed, either. At 51 years, I need all the help I can get with my weight reduction and maintenance. Yes, I know; alcohol has lots of calories...

JB

Sawdust

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2006, 11:25:01 AM »
A wee bit of Dreyer's Butterfinger ice cream...yum.

Anyone know how to get rid of a wee bit of a belly? cheesy

Sawdust (c'mon...it's the only vice I have left!)
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2006, 06:06:38 AM »
I discovered the greatest of late night snacks just a week or so ago.  Rum Cake.  Not your grocery store rum cake mind, the rum cake that comes from a farmer's market.  I estimate it to be at about 4 shots to a manly sized bite.  I've taken to munching on one of those every few nights, passing right out, dreaming of zombies and da gobment till morning.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2006, 07:33:09 PM »
I have to stop eating meals around 6 or 7 PM.  Otherwise, I get to taste stomach contents again while sleeping in bed, and if I'm really lucky, I get to aspirate them, too.  Been doing that for a few years now, but I didn't tell my flight surgeon, otherwise he'd ground me.  I'll let TriCare or the VA hospital work on it if things don't get much better.  Prilosec OTC seems to control it most of the time.
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2006, 05:19:44 AM »
I read this post from the start and decided to keep track of what I munch on while watching the tube before I turn it.

I eat mostly peanuts, cheezits and sometimes some ice cream. Lately I have been eating the hot and spicy cheezits. Jar of peanuts and 2 boxes of cheezits lasts me about a two weeks. I also sometimes have a big glass of ice water with some lemon juice in it.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2006, 06:12:49 AM »
This thread http://armedpolitesociety.com/viewtopic.php?id=3599 got me thinking about what I usually eat for a snack before I turn in. It's usually some sort of cheese with some fruit. Last night I enjoyed a nice big piece of Gouda, along with a few dried prunes.

I usually don't snack on "junk" type snack foods such as ice cream, cookies, etc. so I don't think I'm doing too much damage to myself by snacking before bed.
Andy

P95Carry

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2006, 06:21:22 PM »
I have long had the habit of late evening snack - meaning semi-meal Cheesy

Animals eat and then sleep - why shouldn't we?!!  It has often been labelled as bad for you - but fortunately I do not carry much spare weight.  Well for a 61 year old I don't think 6'.00'' and 200# is too bad anyways.  If I don't have my late eating, I rumble and groan feeling empty - so, food it has to be.

Bad?  maybe but it's an old habit now and ain't gonna change in a hurry now Wink
Chris - P95
Guns don't kill people - people kill people.
NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.
Rohrbaugh interest/ownership? - Rohrbaugh Forum Rohrbaugh R9 FAQ Site

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2006, 08:28:37 PM »
In the summer I often sit on the back deck and enjoy a good cigar before turning in.

That 70% dark chocolate and sherry sounds pretty good to me.  It would probably keep me awake, but it would be worth it.