Author Topic: DHS Ammo buy  (Read 1916 times)

Triphammer

• friend
DHS Ammo buy
« on: August 17, 2012, 12:37:12 AM »
  There's been some discussion of late, primarily in the "2016 Civil War" thread about the NOAA & Social Security buying large lots of ammo. Now I read about a 750 million round buy from DHS. Could this be the fruition of a plan I heard of a while ago for the Feds to tie up every bit of commercial ammunition production & drive up prices & limit availability to civillian buyers. Seems they never have any real success passing laws to limit purchases or taxing ammo out of reach. This strikes me as another end run that this administration is becoming all too well known for.

Nick1911

• Administrator
Re: DHS Ammo buy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 12:42:04 AM »
Maybe for a time, but it seems to me that the free market being what it is; higher prices will encourage other manufacturers to expand, ramp up production, hire second and/or third shifts, etc.  Outbuying the production capacity of the free market seems like a poor strategy.  That said, I certainly recall the challange I had acquiring .380 ammo 3 years ago...

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 12:45:38 AM »
As I've said before... Considering the amount of LE agencies that fall under DHS (including ice, border patrol, uscg, and others), and their training requirements, this isn't all that much.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »
Outbuying the production capacity of the free market seems like a poor strategy.

True, but does the administration understand how the free market works?

(for the record, I do not believe the .gov ammo buys are part of any conspiracy)
""If you elect me, your taxes are going to be raised, not cut."
                         - master strategist Joe Biden

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 08:43:28 AM »
Take the SSA buy for instance, people are making a big deal out of 174,000 rounds.  Well, they have 295 investigator/enforcement personnel, who have to serve warrants, etc.  that's like 600rnds per person, not all that significant.

Look at DHS, there are 188,000 people in the department.  750 million rounds is basically a baseline training budget for roughly 300,000 weapons (2500 rounds per year), assuming 2-3 weapons in inventory per real enforcement/protection person, that means a tooth to tail ratio of about 1:2-3, pretty reasonable for a law enforcement / protection agency.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
alex jones hates people like you
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

birdman

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:10:06 AM »
Also, I bet in an average year this BOARD buys more than 174,000 rounds of ammo.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 09:43:40 AM »
There's also this. The reality is we've got thousands of armed fedgov officers barney fifng it about. I'd rather see them getting proper training and range time than not, with the notion that a sharp knife is safer than a dull.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2012, 09:51:53 AM »
Take the SSA buy for instance, people are making a big deal out of 174,000 rounds.  Well, they have 295 investigator/enforcement personnel, who have to serve warrants, etc.  that's like 600rnds per person, not all that significant.

Look at DHS, there are 188,000 people in the department.  750 million rounds is basically a baseline training budget for roughly 300,000 weapons (2500 rounds per year), assuming 2-3 weapons in inventory per real enforcement/protection person, that means a tooth to tail ratio of about 1:2-3, pretty reasonable for a law enforcement / protection agency.

How dare you yank off their tinfoil hats!

Much ado about nothing.  Well, besides the fact that they are getting to shoot way more than I am. Bastards.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 12:46:16 PM »
No. No tinfoilhettery. I just remembered a mention of this & wanted to throw it out here to get a reasoned view rather than one that is coming out of some other forums.   

JonnyB

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:43 PM »
Which department(s) of the federal government should be armed at all?

In my humble opinion, there are two:

Secret Service
U.S. Marshals

The rest can call upon locals for firepower. Even the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) can use the various State Police, Sheriff's Department or City Police for the run & gun aprehension activities. They track the baddies, and the locals take 'em down.

And, in most cases, by "take 'em down", I mean, approach the (alleged) perp on the street and cuff him or get a warrant and knock on his door. Yes, there are violent offender exceptions, I know.

jb
Jon has a long mustache. No, really; he does. Look at that thing!

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2012, 02:16:20 PM »
Which department(s) of the federal government should be armed at all?

In my humble opinion, there are two:

Secret Service
U.S. Marshals

The rest can call upon locals for firepower. Even the FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) can use the various State Police, Sheriff's Department or City Police for the run & gun aprehension activities. They track the baddies, and the locals take 'em down.

And, in most cases, by "take 'em down", I mean, approach the (alleged) perp on the street and cuff him or get a warrant and knock on his door. Yes, there are violent offender exceptions, I know.

jb

This.  Period.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2012, 03:21:28 PM »
^^^^ Yeah, me too! ^^^^
The real questions to ask are:
-- Who in fed.gov is armed
-- Why are they armed
-- What is the constitutional and legal justification (notice how I draw a distinction )
-- What are they armed with

Once these questions are answered we can judge whether or not the ammo purchases are justified. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2012, 05:16:40 PM »
Also, I bet in an average year this BOARD buys more than 174,000 rounds of ammo.

That would make an interesting poll. I'd be curious to see how much we actually do purchase per year. I can lay claim to about 6000 rounds per year (100/week in my M&P for practice, about 2 mags per week in my .380, the rest in whatever else I happen to be shooting) is what it averages out to. Of course I now also have a shotgun and plan on making another long gun purchase by the end of the year. This year would be a little skewed because I had four months where I only fired a weapon on about three occasions, but on average I'll say 6K/year. Next year it'll likely be higher.

^^^^ Yeah, me too! ^^^^
-- Why are they armed
-- What is the constitutional and legal justification (notice how I draw a distinction )

Once these questions are answered we can judge whether or not the ammo purchases are justified. 

I'm not seeing any justification at all for some of these agencies.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

birdman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 05:23:13 PM »
That would make an interesting poll. I'd be curious to see how much we actually do purchase per year. I can lay claim to about 6000 rounds per year (100/week in my M&P for practice, about 2 mags per week in my .380, the rest in whatever else I happen to be shooting) is what it averages out to. Of course I now also have a shotgun and plan on making another long gun purchase by the end of the year. This year would be a little skewed because I had four months where I only fired a weapon on about three occasions, but on average I'll say 6K/year. Next year it'll likely be higher.

I probably shoot 10-15k per year, so that's 1/9th of that SSA buy in just two people

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2012, 05:42:12 PM »
^^^^ Yeah, me too! ^^^^
-- Why are they armed

The constitutional justification is the congress passed laws creating agencies and giving those agencies powers including law enforcement powers.

We are ruled by agencies, not by congress.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 07:11:24 PM »

Counting rimfire? Crap. Maybe 20k? If you limit it to centerfire more like 10k. I don't really keep track. I know I bought 3000 9mm and 3000 5.56 in jan and ran out of both at the begining of this month.