Author Topic: The Cast Iron Skillet  (Read 6213 times)

Bob F.

• friend
Re: The Cast Iron Skillet
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Hhhmmmm, yeah, I've heard that, sounds reasonable (if ya' got a campfire handy! Guess it could be arranged). I've also heard salt, but not sure of the proceedure.

Thanks.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
We were burning leaves, yard waste, etc at my grandmother's once when she came out, cast iron pans in hand, and tossed them into the fire for a good cleaning.

Chris

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »
Toss it in a hot campfire.  When it burns to ash, dig out the pot, wash it well, then reseason.

Chris

Then use it to beat the person that put motor oil in it.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 08:47:22 AM »
Then use it to beat the person that put motor oil in it.

They'll want to do that *before* cleaning it.  There's iron in human blood but you don't want it on your cookware.  eew.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 09:37:08 AM »
OK, Experts, as long as we're on the subject---I inherited Mom's cast iron skillets, Sis doesn't have a clue as to how to use them. I love 'em. However, I have a Dutch Oven I use primarily as a deep fryer; I have done an occassional roast in it. But I found an old camp Dutch Oven, i.e. w/ legs and a lip arouind the lid, in Granny's basement. Looks as though somebody has put motor oil in it. So how do I clean it prior to reseasoning? I wanna make some fresh peach cobbler @ the gun club steak fry!

Thanks,
Bob

Upside down on a gas grill, let is burn until it quits smoking, wash well with soap and water, heat back up to dry the water, then reseason. I use a gas grill to season all my cast iron.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
in the oven during self cleaning cycle works too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 10:10:19 AM »
To be perfectly honest, I have NEVER EVER understood the "I'll never use soap!" but I'll scour the hell out of it with salt!

Salt is abrasive as hell and is potentially a LOT more damaging to the seasoning layer than dish detergent ever could be!

Baking soda is a lot better because it is much, much finer, but baking soda is also an abrasive.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 10:12:05 AM »
in the oven during self cleaning cycle works too

I've done that before too.  Too hot this time of year though, outside methods are better.  I only run the oven cleaning cycle during the coldest part of the winter.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2012, 10:15:28 AM »
When my pans need to be burned out to get rid of any crust, I simply take them out to the backyard put them in the Weber kettle, and build a nice, hot briquette fire in them.

That usually does the chore.

If they are REALLY bad, I'll put a layer of coals down under the pan, then fill the pan with more.

And, if you want to get rid of grease in your pan without totally cleaning it out?

Coarse corn meal.

And, if you have things that are burned on that you want to scrape off? Don't use a metal spatula, go get yourself a cheap wood spatula at the local kitchen store.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2012, 10:49:17 AM »
With motor oil, even if it's "burned out" of the pan, I'd be nervous about what non-petroleum additives might still be left behind in the pores of the iron....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
With motor oil, even if it's "burned out" of the pan, I'd be nervous about what non-petroleum additives might still be left behind in the pores of the iron....

^^^ This.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2012, 01:04:48 PM »
I think maybe the no-soap thing came from back when soap was all pretty harsh? I've never had regular dish soap do anything to the seasoning layer on any of my cast-iron pans.

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:15 PM »
Wow, thanks, gas grill here I come!!

Don't think it's really motor oil. I put it in the oven @ 200 like I do all my cast iron if I have to rinse 'em. This thing bled black goo out of the pores plus whatever was in the bottom.

I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks.
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
"I think maybe the no-soap thing came from back when soap was all pretty harsh?"

Some time ago I read an interesting theory that it actually stems not from harsh soap use, but from people boiling either woodash or lye in their cast iron while making soap.

My Mom used to make lye soap and I can verify just how harsh a pot of boiling lye water is.

Back in those days the only cookware most people had was cast iron. Some of them MAY have had some enameled "stoneware" pots and pans, but apparently most didn't.

Often the soap was made in the same large kettle that was used for rendering lard during butchering.

Boiling lye in one of those while making soap after it's been nicely seasoned rendering lard would A) clean every molecule of fat off the surface of the iron (not to mention just about everything else) and B) give the impression that getting "soap" anywhere near cast iron would do the same thing.

The fact is, though, that once you've added your fats and oils to the lye (in proper proportions) and it's completely... hydrolized?, the lye is completely neutralized and the end product, while a strong cleanser, isn't really that much harsher than a lot of the soaps we have today.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2012, 02:30:00 PM »
I have a slew of well seasoned old iron pans from Granny. Unfortunately we have one of theose glass cooktops and I'm deathly afraid I'll shatter it if I use the pans. So they languish...  :'(
Avoid cliches like the plague!

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 10:44:24 PM »
Teflon - "Don't do this x ad infinitum" "Replace if necessary"
Stainless or cast iron - "Do this x 1 or 2 or 3" "Re-season if necessary"

All my cookware is stainless or cast.
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot