Author Topic: The Cast Iron Skillet  (Read 6253 times)

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

T.O.M.

• friend
Re: The Cast Iron Skillet
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:26:35 AM »
I could cook forever with my cast iron skillet and my cast iron dutch oven.  Last night I made mac and cheese with bacon (of course!) in my dutch oven on my Weber charcoal grill.  The charcoal adds a nice smokyness to the mac and cheese...
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 10:46:27 AM »
Color me stoopid!

We have a couple, and I am afraid to cook anything other than meat.

I tried scrambled eggs and ham once, and it stuck miserably.

I seasoned it before using the first time, and use no soap for cleaning.

Clearly, I am an idiot.
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 10:53:20 AM »
Color me stoopid!

Clearly, I am an idiot.

It takes practice and lube (like many things in life).  I never use anything but hot water and a plastic scraper to clean mine (followed by wiping with a paper towel and a couple minutes on a hot burner to ensure it's dry).  If I'm going to cook eggs, I use plenty of bacon grease or some other lubricant, but I find scrambled eggs challenging regardless.  Fried eggs aren't an issue, but I can't quite get an "over easy" egg to release without tearing unless I use a lot of grease/oil.

Chris

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 11:12:07 AM »
They definitely have their place, but they aren't the be-all end-all.  One of the most accomplished cooks I know just laughs and says "The teflon coated aluminum sauce pan was the best thing that ever happened to cooking."
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Yup.  I tend to use teflon-coated aluminum for eggs and pancakes, cast iron or stainless steel for everything else. 

I do want my grandmother's deep cast iron frying pan.  That's the bee's knees for fried chicken and such.

Chris

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:50:14 AM »
After i found it soaking in soapy water coated with scrambled eggs,
my daughters have been told not to cook with my griswald fryingpan.

Here, this is a non stick frying pan, use this until you gain skills.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2012, 11:56:38 AM »
oh and gas is the only thing to cook indoors upon
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
A properly seasoned piece of cast iron LAUGHS at soapy water.

I clean mine all of the time with mild dish soap and a sponge and I've never had an issue with the seasoning washing away.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2012, 01:02:26 PM »
use a lot of grease/oil.

This.

And

oh and gas is the only thing to cook indoors upon

This.

And low heat.  If things are sticking, the pan is too hot.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 01:13:40 PM »
It's a frying pan, meant for frying things  ;)

Lots of grease.  =)

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2012, 01:47:45 PM »
The only things I asked for out of my grandmother's estate were a couple of beautifully seasoned skillets and a griddle, full of memories of childhood summer vacations and early morning breakfasts before the long drive home.

They ended up sold in a yard sale by my wastrel uncle, who currently occupies a one-time FEMA trailer, with nary a dented aluminum pot to piss in.  :mad: :facepalm: :'(
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:35:18 PM »
"It's a frying pan, meant for frying things"

It's actually a skillet.

It's meant for skilleting things...
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »
A properly seasoned piece of cast iron LAUGHS at soapy water.

I clean mine all of the time with mild dish soap and a sponge and I've never had an issue with the seasoning washing away.
I use dish soap all the time mainly just to help scape off any stuck on stuff. 

I'll have to try scrambled eggs in mine.  I can't remember if I ever have.  You may have to keep stiring the eggs as they cook to make sure they don't stick.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2012, 04:00:44 PM »
Color me stoopid!

Clearly, I am an idiot.

I have to agree with Jamie. Bacon, sausage, steaks, chicken, burgers, all good. I've even done vegetables and I always cook cornbread in it (OMG yes, I said CORNBREAD), but I can't cook eggs in it to save my life. I also don't cook fish in it because the flavor tends to stick around a while and while I love fish, I like it fresh, not several days later.

And I never clean it with soap and water unless something particularly disgusting has been cooked in it, then I wash it with soap and hot water, oil it up good and throw it in the oven. For particularly tough things to get out of it, low heat and plain water, simmer it loose, dump water, re-oil.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »

For stubborn stuff, scouring with straight salt will remove most of the crud.

I've also used baking soda.

No soap, though.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2012, 04:20:37 PM »
Love my cast iron. And I'm with Irwin on this one, there's nothing wrong with using a little soap in a well seasoned cast iron pan.

When still breaking in a new pan (or one that's in need of new seasoning for some reason) or for light clean up, I wont use soap. But for a well seasoned pan there's no harm in using it. Soaking, especially in soapy water, is liable to screw it up, but a few drops of soap and a sponge aren't going to hurt anything. Salt will help with crusty crap, but not grease.

As for eggs, I never have a problem. Right heat, little oil or butter, and proper amount of time before trying to flip or move them around.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2012, 04:21:47 PM »
Mmm... cornbread. 

Today is a day for APS memes, it seems. :lol:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2012, 07:17:11 PM »
I love cranking the heat for a minute then dropping it to low
A pat of butter and eggies over easy in 2 minutes

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »
I have to get a new set of cast iron skillets. And I dread it. It just takes so long to get them just right. :)
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:39 PM »
I love cranking the heat for a minute then dropping it to low
A pat of butter and eggies over easy in 2 minutes

That is how I cook mine I don't have a sticking problem at all.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2012, 09:12:17 PM »
I have to get a new set of cast iron skillets. And I dread it. It just takes so long to get them just right. :)

If you have a TJ Maxish type place near you I've noticed they've had a ton of Lodge recently. Wife keeps dragging me in there nd I noticed them. Got a couple, all looked good.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2012, 10:03:58 PM »

Clearly, I am an idiot.

Clearly.

Nonetheless, season it again and try again. A properly seasoned cast iron skillet is better than Teflon.

I have a bunch of them, inherited from both my mother and her sister. My wife refuses to use them ... I think she believes the iron will get in the food and poison her, so she uses Teflon-coated aluminum, and destroys at least one pan per annum. (I don't have the heart to remind her that she takes a multi-vitamin every day that has iron in it.)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:09:53 PM by Hawkmoon »
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Bob F.

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2012, 10:22:44 PM »
OK, Experts, as long as we're on the subject---I inherited Mom's cast iron skillets, Sis doesn't have a clue as to how to use them. I love 'em. However, I have a Dutch Oven I use primarily as a deep fryer; I have done an occassional roast in it. But I found an old camp Dutch Oven, i.e. w/ legs and a lip arouind the lid, in Granny's basement. Looks as though somebody has put motor oil in it. So how do I clean it prior to reseasoning? I wanna make some fresh peach cobbler @ the gun club steak fry!

Thanks,
Bob
"I always have my primary weapon, it's right between my ears."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:18 PM »
Toss it in a hot campfire.  When it burns to ash, dig out the pot, wash it well, then reseason.

Chris