Author Topic: Let's talk sammitches  (Read 5311 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Let's talk sammitches
« on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
At Casa fistful, we have created a new sandwich, The Whole Hog. Ham, pulled pork, and bacon. With Wickles and barbecue sauce. My wife tried it out on challah bread, just for a laugh, but I prefer it on a pretzel roll.

Now for the next great sandwich. What to do? How about a peanut butter and jelly burger? Sound good? I don't know.  =|
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: Let's talk sammitches
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2012, 08:08:09 PM »
Re The Whole Hog - needs chicirones for texture.

PB&JB?  No.  Marmalade, or some sort of pepper jam.  And caramelized onions sitting between the burger and the PB.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Wickles?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »
That sounds like a mighty fine sammich!

Peanut butter and jelly burger? Hey, it's got peanut butter so it's gotta be good.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2012, 08:11:04 PM »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 09:19:20 PM »
I have now officially abandoned the pb and jelly burger concept, in favor a peanut butter, jelly and bacon sammitch. And, yes, I said officially; as in from the Office of Sammitch Development.

Re The Whole Hog - needs chicirones for texture.

Sorry, yes, I did mean to suggest that as an option. Not my kettle of pork, however.

PB&JB?  No.  Marmalade, or some sort of pepper jam.  And caramelized onions sitting between the burger and the PB.

Pepper jam is interesting. Caramelized onions on one's burger always seem like a good idea on a restaurant menu, but invariably disappoint in actual practice.  =(

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 09:38:20 PM »
I caramelize my onions with a little bit of brown sugar and good balsamic vinegar.  Yummos.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 09:49:36 PM »
Spam, sliced very thin.  Cream cheese spread liberally on a flour tortilla and sprinkled with thyme. Warm in the microwave for 20-25 seconds.  Pile on a liberal amount of bread & butter pickles and add a handful of shredded lettuce.  Fold into a wrap and enjoy.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:33 PM »
Spam, sliced very thin.  Cream cheese spread liberally on a flour tortilla and sprinkled with thyme. Warm in the microwave for 20-25 seconds.  Pile on a liberal amount of bread & butter pickles and add a handful of shredded lettuce.  Fold into a wrap and enjoy.

Kill it! Kill it with fire!

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
Fistful. Sammiches is NOT spelled with a T. Geesh. What's wrong with you boy???

Brad. You're STILL eating meat from a can? What's wrong with you boy???

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
Brad. You're STILL eating meat from a can? What's wrong with you boy???

Do not mock the SPAM, you will make it angry... 

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 11:11:07 AM »
Wickles

God's gift to mankind.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Larry Ashcraft

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2012, 12:54:21 PM »
Grilled cheese, but with GOOD aged parmesan cheese ($22 a pound) and pesto.  Yum.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2012, 01:00:51 PM »
"SAMMITCHES?" ???
S-A-N-D-W-I-C-H
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 07:24:29 PM by TommyGunn »
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 01:47:04 PM »
Fistful. Sammiches is NOT spelled with a T. Geesh. What's wrong with you boy???

"SAMMITCHE?" ???

Our fistful knows that "Hukd on Fonix" is met with derision, so makes the valiant attempt to avoid misspelling the word.  Our fistful fails miserably.

And this is the best we can do to him?

Shame!  Shame, I say!  APSers are better than this!

Let the merriment begin.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
"SAMMITCHE?" ???
S-A-N-D-W-I-C-H

Some grammar nazi you are. You can't even spell sandwich in dialect. Luckily for you, grammar is not concerned with spelling. So you misused the word "grammar," too. :P

The singular is "sammitch." Some will forego (or forgo) the t, which makes it look like French, or something. Sammitch. Sammitch.

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 02:24:04 PM »
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 07:26:55 PM »

Some grammar nazi you are. You can't even spell sandwich in dialect. Luckily for you, grammar is not concerned with spelling. So you misused the word "grammar," too. :P

The singular is "sammitch." Some will forego (or forgo) the t, which makes it look like French, or something. Sammitch. Sammitch.
I got the hockenGee off the internetz.   :angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
Apparently, our newest grammar Nazi does not know and/or understand the difference between a "sandwich" and a "Sammich".

A sammich is a type of sandwich. However, it is not just any kind of sandwich. Any old schmuck can throw lunchmeat between two slices of bread and have a sandwich.

But no. A sammich is not just a sandwich, it is not just a meal. Sammich is a term reserved for only the holiest and mightiest of all sandwiches. A sammich is a true work of culinary art; a feast on a bun, if you will. A sammich is not made of the best ingredients; it is made of the *right* ingredients. It needs the right meats, and the right cheese(s), the right sauce, the right veggies, and the right kind of bread.

Taking footlong sub bread and throwing every kind of meat and cheese and everything else under the sun or in your kitchen pantry on it does not a sammich make. It is akin to an incohesive mishmosh of colors on an artist's easel.

Sandwiches make a good snack, but sammiches are forever.

I still recall the $5 Ruben's (with a bag a chips and a soda) from the no-name deli off the corner of Roosevelt and Ardmore Rd's in Villa Park.  Absolutely THE Best corned beef, sauerkraut and dressing EVER.   I was a college student and once every two weeks on payday, I would walk down there and treat myself to one.   I've never had one nearly as good since.  It brings tears to my eye to think that I'll never have one that good again.   :'( :'( :'(
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 10:12:14 PM »
"INTERNETZ?" ???
I-N-T-E-R-N-E-T

And it's hakenGee, for crying out loud.  =)

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 10:55:41 PM »
It's Hackenkreuz actually.

"Hooked Cross"

Does that make me a symbol Nazi? :P

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:44 PM »
He was referring to the Grammar Nazi symbol, which he posted above. Duh.  :P

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 06:45:53 AM »
A chance for APSers to not only influence the law but to become famous for having posted a comment on a for-real serious, scholarly blog.

http://www.volokh.com/2012/08/29/which-of-these-is-a-sandwich/

Money quote:
Sure, you can make lawyerly arguments as to why any or all of these constitute sandwiches, but that’s not the question. Rather, I’m wondering if contrary to my own understanding, Posner is right that hamburgers and hot dogs are “regarded” as sandwiches, and that “some people regard” tacos and burritos as sandwiches.

This seems especially pertinent because Posner is criticizing Scalia and his co-author Brian Garner for advocating reliance on dictionary definitions of words. One reason to rely on dictionary definitions is because they provide an objective baseline, as opposed to idiosyncratic judges’ notions of what words might mean, which in turn are subject to manipulation if a judge wants to rule in favor of a particular party for whatever reason. If Posner is wrong about what people “regard” as sandwiches, I think that would tend to buttress Scalia and Garner’s point that we’re better off relying on dictionary definitions than on less objective alternatives–which is not to say that I think that I have a strong opinions on textualism in statutory and contractual interpretation (and indeed I don’t).

And there is an unscientific survey, too.

stay safe.

Scout26

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 10:50:16 AM »
And the bread.  Good thick rye bread (not that marbled crap) that held together all the way to last bite, even though the ingredients where piled high to the point of almost, but just not quite, being able to fit into your mouth.  A sammich, that once eaten, would mean you were full and satisfied for 2-3 days....

Hold fast by the river.
for the motherland.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 12:43:40 PM »
Spam, sliced very thin.   . . .

If it contains SPAM, you need to nuke it from orbit - it's the only way to be sure.

(SPAM is the reason animals go into the Hormel plant, and nothing but product comes out. Nothing. Think about it.  [barf]   )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain