Author Topic: Interesting Dichotomy Between RNC and DNC Conventions  (Read 4566 times)

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: Interesting Dichotomy Between RNC and DNC Conventions
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2012, 08:20:00 PM »
I've got the itching feeling that Romney will be the disillusion of many Republicans, just as Obama was for many Democrats.

But it will atleast be OUR disillusionism, NOT theirs!!!!!!!!!! [tinfoil] =D
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
The Republicans have the better anthem, but they refuse to really deal with how we got to where we are (debt, no jobs, changing culture, etc.).  They are championing free trade in a world in which what you have is state-controlled trade, the offshoot of World Bank, GATT, WTO, NAFTA, GPS, et al..  They believe fervently in globalism even though that is a death knell for the middle-class American worker forced to compete with Third World wages.  They are too afraid of alienating "the Hispanic vote," most of which they won't get, to do anything about illegal immigration and the border.  They still support the welfare state with a hundred million Americans already on the Federal dole (over and above SS and M'care).

It is fine to talk about "jobs," but if you can't face why the jobs aren't there, you are just spitting in the wind.  Romney and Ryan talk economics, up to  point, but they don't talk culture and how that and demographics will determine our national future.  The rest is just fine and familiar rhetoric.

Romney, if elected, can buy America some time, but I don't see America rebounding unless the terms of the discussion change.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2012, 10:33:40 PM »
To follow through on their promise to kill Obamacare they need a majority in the House and Senate.  Romney simply can't do it by executive order.  (He can however, repeal all the waivers granted to businesses..... ;).)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2012, 03:27:07 AM »

As I read the assorted cynicism regarding Romney, I find I have to wonder . . .

Romney has a track record that would seem to indicate effective decision making and leadership.

He also seems to have a record of actually keeping promises.

And, for the first time since I can remember -- at all -- he seems to have a solid moral foundation (not only "no skeletons" but also "no closet").

I'm trying to remember when we last had a president with demonstrated business acumen, a demonstrated record of executive decision making, and a demonstrated record of actual leadership, with promises kept.

And I'm coming up empty.  Ike was a moral man, a solid leader, and mostly a man of kept promises, but he was career military, not business.  I could be wrong, but although we've had a couple of moral-ish presidents, and a couple who did their best to keep promises (with varying success), I can't recall ever electing anyone with this particular combination.

We've had lawyers, soldiers, an actor, more lawyers, a CIA director, a governor or two . . . but no businessmen.

While I don't have any particular faith in the GOP per se, I'm beginning to wonder if this Romney guy might actually have a shot.

The usual generalities just don't seem to apply.

With Bush, you could say "they" and the generality seemed appropriate.  Same with Clinton.  And so on.

They were master pragmatists, adaptable and plastic.

You don't step in and rescue the Olympics as a "pragmatic, adaptable, plastic" kind of guy.  And then there's the 80% success rate managing capital investments.  Actual effective decision making is required.  And a certain degree of firmness.

Could it be he actually has a spine?

I wonder . . .
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2012, 07:23:31 AM »
Hey, none of that optimism around here!  Doom and gloom only, thanks.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2012, 09:30:08 AM »
Republican party ideals are far from perfect.  Republican party practices are farther from perfect.  Democratic party practices are much, much farther from perfect.  Democratic party ideals don't bear close consideration.

Don't hate the players, hate the game.  It's rigged.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2012, 09:49:37 AM »
I've been a goverment employee for all of my adult life, first Army, then prosecutor, now magistrate.  I've had a lot of close encounters with politicians from both parties, ranging from local council members up through U.S. congresscritters.  Based upon these experiences, I belileve that the real problem with politics and elected officials is that too many of these people are more worried about how to win the next election than they are about actually doing the job.  When it comes time to address an issue or problem, they worry more about how it might impact their re-election bid than they are in making a real effort to do the right thing.  Party matters less than the attitude towards the job.  Now, I've met some politicians who have a sincere desire to do the right thing for the people who put them in office, but they seem to be the rarity compared to those who want the job for the perks and benefits, and then will do what they think is necessary to keep those perks and benefits.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2012, 01:00:39 PM »
^^^^^  good to see it's not just my cynical outlook.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2012, 01:34:28 PM »
I've been a goverment employee for all of my adult life, first Army, then prosecutor, now magistrate.  I've had a lot of close encounters with politicians from both parties, ranging from local council members up through U.S. congresscritters.  Based upon these experiences, I belileve that the real problem with politics and elected officials is that too many of these people are more worried about how to win the next election than they are about actually doing the job.  When it comes time to address an issue or problem, they worry more about how it might impact their re-election bid than they are in making a real effort to do the right thing. 

You seem to be forgetting that politicians are supposed to be worried about winning the next election. That's why we have them; so the people can dismiss politicians that aren't doing what we want them to do. There will always be conflicts between what politicians want to do, and what the people want them to do.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2012, 05:35:05 PM »
The more I read and learn about Romney, the more I agree with Arfin.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
I long ago wearied of the perennial two-party charade that always seems to offer a Sophie's choice of candidates. I spent too many years worrying about which candidate was the worse, so I could vote for the other candidate. One day I awoke to the realization that voting for the lesser of two evils is nonetheless voting for evil, so I then embarked on a succession of elections in which I voted FOR the person I felt could and would do the best thing for the country. In other words, I voted for myself.

This election, however, like the one four years ago, has one candidate who is so blatantly and thoroughly evil that I will have to once again abandon my resolution, and vote AGAINST the worse of the two evils.

And that, of course, is Obama. As much as I would like to make my "statement" by again voting for myself, I believe that this election is too crucial to "throw away" even one vote.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
"While I don't have any particular faith in the GOP per se, I'm beginning to wonder if this Romney guy might actually have a shot."

It's not about how good or talented Romney is; when it comes to the public sphere you are only as good and talented as your culture permits you to be. 

Sure, of course, better Romney than Obama.  It's always good to buy time and postpone the worst.

But Romney and Ryan are running in an imaginary America that disappeared at least two decades ago.  Just my opinion.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2012, 10:27:07 PM »
America is the fat guy who goes to the doctor and the dr puts him on a bunch of expensive medicines to keep his health up but the DR never says "Hey, go exercise and go on a diet, fat *expletive deleted*."
Culturally we're at the point that we as a people fire the doctors who say "You're too fat!".
No, we've got two doctors arguing over the meds while we stuff down the double cheeseburgers fries and diet coke.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »
America is the fat guy who goes to the doctor and the dr puts him on a bunch of expensive medicines to keep his health up but the DR never says "Hey, go exercise and go on a diet, fat *expletive deleted*."
Culturally we're at the point that we as a people fire the doctors who say "You're too fat!".
No, we've got two doctors arguing over the meds while we stuff down the double cheeseburgers fries and diet coke.

Hungry now.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2012, 11:06:21 PM »

That's actually a really good analogy.

And now I'm hungry too...  :laugh:
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2012, 11:23:30 AM »
You seem to be forgetting that politicians are supposed to be worried about winning the next election. That's why we have them; so the people can dismiss politicians that aren't doing what we want them to do. There will always be conflicts between what politicians want to do, and what the people want them to do.

I'm not talking about the kind who do what their constituants want them to do, but rather the kind who spend their days cowtowing to donors so that they can flood the airwaves with advertising so that they win based upon the better media team, and not their credentials or performance.  Decisions aren't made based on what the voters want them to do, but rather on what action will result in the biggest donations and support from the groups with the biggest membership.

No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »

You're singing my song, JJ.  What America needs--but won't get on a national plane--is a kind of enlightened Spartanism on not just the political level but the spiritual and moral level.

We will see exactly that in the enclaves I envision as the redoubts that try to hold back the storm.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.