Author Topic: cross platform cloud storage, including android  (Read 687 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
cross platform cloud storage, including android
« on: September 18, 2012, 09:23:08 PM »
What's the best out there?

I have been researching for something that makes it easy to transfer docs from my tablet to my phone to my pc, allowing me to edit on any of those platforms.

Idrive and skydrive and amazon will gladly decrypt your data for anyone with a gun and a shiny badge.  I am not interested in letting anyone access my data through anything less than Rev's previous mention of "lead pipe cryptography".

I want something that is damned near impossible to crack.

Spideroak
Wuala

I have come across the above two services and am intrigued.  Spideroak evidently only allows download on android, no upload yet.  Wuala is supposedly omnidirectional from all platforms.

Anyone using any of these?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
Re: cross platform cloud storage, including android
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 09:28:26 PM »
Dropbox. I encrypt my stuff with true crypt
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

zahc

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 09:54:49 PM »
encrypt your own data, then use any service you want. Win.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:57:34 PM »
Dropbox. I encrypt my stuff with true crypt

These. For the mobile side of things, there's an Android app I use (EDS, I use EDS Lite) that opens up Truecrypt containers with no trouble.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 10:19:19 AM »

Basically. I essentially use ssh. I think that is as cross-platform as humanly possible. sFTP to my own server. Encrypted through OpenSSL or TrueCrypt as necessary. Most of the stuff is not encrypted, because the files are pictures I am posting to Facebook or my server.

Google, Dropbox and Amazon are fine for normal files.
Any encryption program and any cloud drive is good enough.
Anything encrypted and not cloud based is going to be a bit of a hassle.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 10:24:01 AM »
My old set up was to have a headless  box at a friend's house and backup via rsync/ssh from my home server (and encrypting sensitive files).  I could access either server remotely via ssh.  My current set up is to backup from my PC to Carbonite and encrypt anything sensitive (tax docs, etc).  I let Carbonite worry with hardware maintenance and the like.  I can access Carbonite via an Ipod Touch, but they don't yet have a Windows Mobile app.  I can also reach my files via a web browser.

Chris