Author Topic: After a nuclear apocalypse, can you stay hydrated?  (Read 2303 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
After a nuclear apocalypse, can you stay hydrated?
« on: September 19, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/krulwich/2012/09/18/161338723/u-s-explodes-atomic-bombs-near-beers-to-see-if-they-are-safe-to-drink?ft=1&f=1001

Yes, canned and bottled beer near ground zero is still palatable and can quench that raging thirst after a nuclear fireball!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

brimic

• friends
Re: After a nuclear apocalypse, can you stay hydrated?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:30 PM »
Well there's one silver lining I guess.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:07:53 PM »
It's comforting to know that even after I have been converted into free radicals and ionized radiation in the upper atmosphere I will still be able to partake of beer. [tinfoil] [popcorn] :rofl:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
For all the joking about the study, I think this was actually a good use of government money.

Canned beverages that survive a nuclear blast are likely safe to drink. If you are concerned about getting the bomb dropped on you, that's some VERY useful information.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:26:48 PM »
Well there's one silver lining I guess.
I don't think silver will do much good to stop radiation. You'll want lead for that.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 12:32:33 PM »
I don't think silver will do much good to stop radiation. You'll want lead for that.

Or hide in the beer cooler at the local liquor store if expecting a bomb.

Walmart often has fort-like stacked cases of beer on display, that might be good too.

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 12:42:37 PM »
Or hide in the beer cooler at the local liquor store if expecting a bomb.

Walmart often has fort-like stacked cases of beer on display, that might be good too.

Well, Indiana Jones did hide out in that refrigerator to no ill effect.   [tinfoil]

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 01:42:01 PM »
Well, Indiana Jones did hide out in that refrigerator to no ill effect.   [tinfoil]

>.<

People really need to replace the phrase "jump the shark" with "nuke the fridge".

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

brimic

• friends
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:45:03 PM »
People really need to replace the phrase "jump the shark" with "nuke the fridge".

Or need to mentally associate that movie with Indiana Jones being repeatedly raped by George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg as per South Park.

Barack Obama

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 01:51:40 PM »
Or need to mentally associate that movie with Indiana Jones being repeatedly raped by George Lucas and Stephen Spielberg as per South Park.

What Indiana Jones movie?

In my reality, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was the last IJ movie made.

Similar to Star Wars, in that only episodes 4-6 were ever made, ending with Jedi.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 02:00:14 PM »
What Indiana Jones movie?

The crystal skull one.

Barack Obama

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
If we're going to get nuked, let's drink all the beer right now!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 02:52:46 PM »
LOL...

I guess you could run across a cache of cans or bottles that were closer to ground zero than you were, about two weeks to a month when it's "safe" because the Iodine-131 and other really hot nasties have had a few half-lives to burn off.

However, generally speaking, if you're close enough to the blast that neutron activation of beverages in containers is a concern, or that ionization/chemical changes from gamma flux is also a worry... I don't think you're going to make it no matter what.  [tinfoil]
I promise not to duck.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2012, 03:01:18 PM »
"So I got that going for me.  Which is nice."
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2012, 04:58:26 PM »

I love science.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2012, 05:04:33 PM »
Nice to know my homebrew would potentially survive me. A legacy at last...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2012, 07:25:34 PM »
Now that's a boilermaker.

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2012, 10:20:03 PM »
LOL...

I guess you could run across a cache of cans or bottles that were closer to ground zero than you were, about two weeks to a month when it's "safe" because the Iodine-131 and other really hot nasties have had a few half-lives to burn off.

However, generally speaking, if you're close enough to the blast that neutron activation of beverages in containers is a concern, or that ionization/chemical changes from gamma flux is also a worry... I don't think you're going to make it no matter what.  [tinfoil]

No, no, no, AJ, you're missing the point. After the nuclear apocalypse, we'll all have to roam in search of supplies (i.e. Mad Max, Book of Ely, etc., etc.) and now we know that five years afterward, when we stumble across that stash of unopened beer, it's okay to sit down and get *expletive deleted*it-faced drunk. Unless Tallpine drank it all BEFORE the bomb dropped.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Most beer is NOT like wine or spirits.

If you find any after a year... you're welcome to it. In fact I'll set it aside for you. Although folks raised on Budweiser might not notice.

Barleywine is a different story, that will get better with age, assuming a decent temperature is maintained, but it's an acquired taste to be sure.
I promise not to duck.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2012, 02:48:57 AM »
So after the apepocalypse we can go into the forbidden zone and retrieve the beer, get the gorillas drunk and reestablish human supremacy ! Awesome.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2012, 09:36:25 AM »
Most beer is NOT like wine or spirits.

If you find any after a year... you're welcome to it. In fact I'll set it aside for you. Although folks raised on Budweiser might not notice.

Barleywine is a different story, that will get better with age, assuming a decent temperature is maintained, but it's an acquired taste to be sure.

This. Most beer has a limited shelf life.

It doesn't generally improve with age after the first few weeks. Also, exposure to UV is extremely harmful to proper beer.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
Back when I homebrewed, I recall drinking 2YO batches that were terrific.  I did not skimp on the alcohol content & hops, though.

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2012, 10:01:44 AM »
Back when I homebrewed, I recall drinking 2YO batches that were terrific.  I did not skimp on the alcohol content & hops, though.

Keys to shelf life. I've made some high test ales intended to mature for 8-12 months.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2012, 10:12:17 AM »
I will note that, if I'm looking through an area hit by a nuclear weapon for hydration, I'm not overly concerned how nasty the beer tastes.

I will also note that this study looked at a number of canned beverages, not just beer.

In a society where infrasture may have broken down following a nuclear war, again, I will say that the information was quite useful.

At the time of this study, wouldn't most warehouses have been near urban areas? Wouldn't, also, said urban areas be the most likely targets of a nuclear war?

So, as per this study, if you're trying to deal with thousands of individuals with significantly damaged infrastructure, one need not necessarily discard all the beverages found in the area of a nuclear attack.

Again, I think this is a clear example of pertinent question for doomsday planning, back when government studies tried to accomplish useful things.