Poll

Do you watch the show Modern Family?

Yes. Love it.
3 (4%)
Yes. It's OK.
2 (2.7%)
Meh, doesn't appeal to me because it is not very entertaining..
7 (9.3%)
Meh, doesn't appeal to me because of teh gay.
0 (0%)
Meh, doesn't appeal to me, for both reasons.
2 (2.7%)
There's a gay guy on that show?
2 (2.7%)
No, I can't stand it because it is just lame.
0 (0%)
No, I can't stand it because of teh gay.
1 (1.3%)
No, I can't stand it because of both reasons.
3 (4%)
Never heard of it.
29 (38.7%)
This poll has too many options.
9 (12%)
This poll needs more options.
17 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Author Topic: Modern Family Survey  (Read 7360 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Modern Family Survey
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2012, 05:28:20 PM »
You're kind of missing the point. The fact that their lifestyle and choices are portrayed as normal and of no particular importance IS the propaganda. It's attempting to do the same thing for homosexuality that was done for living together outside of marriage, to make it normative.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 05:52:37 PM by Balog »
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2012, 05:34:38 PM »
Quote from: BSL
I'm not so sure what is meant when by saying that gay people define themselves soley on the fact that their gay or the characters in these shows are doing so.

I presume balog and mrs. smith and others are refering to the so-called "gay lifestyle" or gay sterotypes, but I think the one is much more just about being effeminate, rather then anything to do with sexuality, and the other one is just a creation of those who fail to understand the first.

Daughter has a college professor that is the stereotypical "Bitchy gay man".  He personifies the type so perfectly she would find him offensive (because of the one-dimensional stereotyping) (I just realized that's an oxymoron) if he were a movie or TV character.
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #52 on: September 27, 2012, 05:55:20 PM »
You're kind of missing the point. The fact that their lifestyle and choices are portrayed as normal and of no particular importance IS the propaganda. It's attempting to do the sane thing for homosexuality that was done for living together outside of marriage, to make it normative.

Oh, right, I'm talking to someone who refuses to acknowledge that it IS normal and of no particular importance.
 :facepalm:

Balog, the world changes. Culture changes. That's not propaganda, it's life.
The social normalizing of people living together outside the bonds of marriage, and devorice for that matter, was a force far larger then the Brady Bunch and ... Which show does the outside of marriage thing?
In fact the existance of those norms usually procedded the pop culture.
The pop culture mearly acknowledges the existance of cultural norms already in moving into place.

All this arguement does is make me want to shout "WE'RE HERE, WE'RE QUEER, GTF OVER IT!"

"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #53 on: September 27, 2012, 07:07:53 PM »
Some people disagree with your views. I'd suggest you go ahead and work on gtf over that.

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #54 on: September 27, 2012, 07:12:42 PM »
And stating that "cultures change" when the argument on the table is "this is an attempt to change the culture" really kind of demonstrates that you aren't addressing the argument, you just want to berate people for not believing the same things as you. Funny how it's the open minded, tolerant people who are so over wrought about the possibility that folks might disagree with them and live their lives in accordance with those divergent beliefs isn't it?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2012, 07:27:10 PM »
And stating that "cultures change" when the argument on the table is "this is an attempt to change the culture" really kind of demonstrates that you aren't addressing the argument, you just want to berate people for not believing the same things as you. Funny how it's the open minded, tolerant people who are so over wrought about the possibility that folks might disagree with them and live their lives in accordance with those divergent beliefs isn't it?

An "open mind" is just a narrow mind rotated 90deg.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2012, 07:34:39 PM »
An "open mind" is just a narrow mind rotated 90deg.

I really like that!
"It's good, though..."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »

Yeah, cause I'm running around going such and such show blows chunks because the characters are a couple of married christians with conservative values and it's PROPAGANDA for them to put that on tv!
 ;/

Yes, balog, people have diffrent values and beliefs. No, you do not have the right to tell them they can't put it on tv, or openly acknowledge such in public.
And covering your distaste by claiming that pop culture is brainwashing the public into making something you don't like ok is barely disguesing your own inabilty to deal with what you are accusing me of.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #58 on: September 27, 2012, 08:32:34 PM »
Yeah, cause I'm running around going such and such show blows chunks because the characters are a couple of married christians with conservative values and it's PROPAGANDA for them to put that on tv!
 ;/

Yes, balog, people have diffrent values and beliefs. No, you do not have the right to tell them they can't put it on tv, or openly acknowledge such in public.
And covering your distaste by claiming that pop culture is brainwashing the public into making something you don't like ok is barely disguesing your own inabilty to deal with what you are accusing me of.

Sacrificing substantive liberty(0) for a mess of pottage(1) is awfully stylish, nowadays. 

(0) Like, say freedom of speech--especially the political sort.

(1)
Genesis 25:29-34

King James Version (KJV)

29 And Jacob sod pottage: and Esau came from the field, and he was faint:

30 And Esau said to Jacob, Feed me, I pray thee, with that same red pottage; for I am faint: therefore was his name called Edom.

31 And Jacob said, Sell me this day thy birthright.

32 And Esau said, Behold, I am at the point to die: and what profit shall this birthright do to me?

33 And Jacob said, Swear to me this day; and he sware unto him: and he sold his birthright unto Jacob.

34 Then Jacob gave Esau bread and pottage of lentiles; and he did eat and drink, and rose up, and went his way: thus Esau despised his birthright.

Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #59 on: September 27, 2012, 10:02:43 PM »
No, you do not have the right to tell them they can't put it on tv, or openly acknowledge such in public.

I guess I missed the part where Balog was trying to censor stuff.  ???
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:28 PM »
I cannot believe we are ignoring the important question here: did pottage contain bacon?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
I cannot believe we are ignoring the important question here: did pottage contain bacon?

Sure would have made a lot more sense if it did!
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
Holy *expletive deleted*it snacks enough.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”