Author Topic: Chicago, IL Violence/Ammo Tax  (Read 3962 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Chicago, IL Violence/Ammo Tax
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:22:17 AM »
I hate that they're giving CA ideas. As most things there, it appears to be Chicago driven and centric.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/10/illinois-county-considers-violence-tax-on-guns-and-ammo/?test=latestnews
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Chicago, IL Violence/Ammo Tax
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 12:26:43 PM »
How about a violence tax on criminals who commit violence?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 12:29:07 PM »
How about a violence tax on criminals who commit violence?

A tax on the police...?  =|    :cool:

(do you have a newsletter?)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 01:03:12 PM »

It'd be legal if it wasn't a tax fully intended to prohibit firearms or ammo. So, a tax between one percent and say two hundred percent would probably be legal. A several thousand percent tax would not be.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 01:43:09 PM »
That's funny. I thought the entire cost of carry guns, home defense weapons, ammo, etc was already a violence tax.  ??? Why not go after the people who don't do anything to prepare for violence?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

griz

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 02:05:28 PM »
From the article:

Summers said gun violence costs the government in a number of ways, including the $143 a day it costs to keep someone in jail. Further, he said it costs $52,00 on average to treat a gunshot victim without insurance in the taxpayer-backed local hospital.

It's kind of stunning the crap you can come up with if you start from the assumption that a legal possession is "bad" and law abiding citizens who own one should be punished.  You could draw the same parallel with other legal items, such as automobiles or prescription drugs, but then some of the people who voted for you might start to doubt your motives.  Trying to tax something out of existence is an old idea, but politicians keep thinking they invented something new.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Given what has been coming out of the 7th Circuit, (esp Ezell) there's a pretty good chance this will be struck down by the courts, if passed.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 02:46:35 PM »
And to think that some believe that government is itself a form of organized, (mostly) sublimated violence...
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 03:19:36 PM »
Government does pretend to hold a monopoly on violence. Don't pay your violence taxes and they will use violence on you.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2012, 05:31:31 PM »
From the article:

It's kind of stunning the crap you can come up with if you start from the assumption that a legal possession is "bad" and law abiding citizens who own one should be punished.  You could draw the same parallel with other legal items, such as automobiles or prescription drugs, but then some of the people who voted for you might start to doubt your motives.  Trying to tax something out of existence is an old idea, but politicians keep thinking they invented something new.
Don't you also need to believe the fantasy that elminating legal guns will eliminate illegal guns?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:32:18 PM »
Government does pretend to hold a monopoly on violence. Don't pay your violence taxes and they will use violence on you.
Now that is a better way of looking at it.   =D

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »

I believe we call that the protection racket.  [tinfoil]
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 11:34:42 AM »
It always come down, in the end, to men with guns.  The Founders understood that.  Too many of us now don't.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:36:33 AM »
Anything but finger the real source, the real culprits.

They need a gangbanger tax.   And they need to look unblinkingly at the ghetto subculture.

I'm not holding my breath.

Until law-abiding citizens get mad as hell and won't take it any more, it's not going to change.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »
I believe we call that the protection racket.  [tinfoil]

Rival criminal gangs, one of them with an edge over the others....can we all say, "anarcho-tyranny?"

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2012, 02:41:17 PM »
Just saw this and wanted to post just in case it goes un-noticed.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/18/county-official-proposes-bullet-tax-to-curb-chicago-crime/?cmpid=prn_aol&icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-sb-bb%7Cdl2%7Csec3_lnk3%26pLid%3D222030

Not exactly a new idea, but one I have been expecting for a long time.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 02:52:43 PM »
When do they impose a tatt tax?
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2012, 03:44:06 PM »
This tax is really going to cut into the dealers' profits....the drug dealers, that is....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
Yeah, this will take gun or bullets out of the hands of criminals I am sure.   ;/

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 06:40:55 PM »
Merging Duplicate Topics.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 07:56:38 PM »
If approved and I suspect it will be in Chicago, $0.05/cartridge for 22 shells might just get a bit expensive.
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 08:46:52 PM »
Unintended consequences means people will purchase ammo out of the taxed jurisdiction. Or online. Only businesses will suffer.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 10:25:43 PM »
Overall, people will buy their ammunition outside of the county.  Yes, the local businesses that sell firearms, ammunition, and related items will be hurt.  Folks will simply shop elsewhere.  Control crime?  I doubt it.

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 10:42:49 PM »
It'd be legal if it wasn't a tax fully intended to prohibit firearms or ammo. So, a tax between one percent and say two hundred percent would probably be legal. A several thousand percent tax would not be.

Not necessarily; see Minneapolis Star Tribune Company v. Commissioner, where a special tax on ink and newspaper was held to violate the first amendment.

If the 2nd is treated like the 1st, as it should be, then any special tax targeting only ammunition and/or firearms would be considered a violation of the 2nd amendment.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

brimic

• friends
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 10:49:49 PM »
If the 2nd is treated like the 1st, as it should be, then any special tax targeting only ammunition and/or firearms would be considered a violation of the 2nd amendment.

Pittman-Robertson.

Unintended consequences means people will purchase ammo out of the taxed jurisdiction. Or online.
Or via black market.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama