Author Topic: These people are evil, sick, and tightening their grasp  (Read 7035 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
These people are evil, sick, and tightening their grasp
« on: October 11, 2012, 10:30:58 AM »
http://www.infowars.com/coming-next-tsa-taser-bracelets/

Yes, infowars.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/aviation-security/2008/jul/1/want-some-torture-with-your-peanuts/

Washington Times confirms.

TSA/DHS seriously looked at mandatory GPS/taser bracelets for all passengers on airlines and in airports.  Then speculated further, on their applicability at political protests, or as a method of "interrogation."
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: These people are evil, sick, and tightening their grasp
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
 Ever read S. M. Stirling's The Stone Dogs?

His arch-evil antagonists, the Draka, use something very like that for managing the more dangerous "serfs" (slaves).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 11:42:24 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 10:50:18 AM »
It's an old story.  Which bothers me even more. Why were the news agencies not trumpeting this from every available corner?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

SADShooter

• friend
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:26:31 AM »
A lot of us bought the baloney after 9/11 that we needed an iron grip to repel the barbarians.  I was one of them.  Man, was I wrong.  DHS and its various tentacles is going to be the death of this Republic.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:42:19 AM »
A lot of us bought the baloney after 9/11 that we needed an iron grip to repel the barbarians.  I was one of them.  Man, was I wrong.  DHS and its various tentacles is going to be the death of this Republic.

Few people will admit to being wrong on the Patriot act, etc. 
I was wrong in believing the lesser of two evils argument in 2000. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:47:18 AM »

Same here. In my younger, more ignorant days, I was a proponent of the Patriot Act as well...then I found APS.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 12:49:31 PM »

I voted for Harry Browne in 2000 for POTUS.  The last capital-L Libertarian Party POTUS candidate I thought worthy of my vote.  Gary Johnson is, sadly, not impressive for the 2012 POTUS rodeo.

IIRC, I don't think I was much a USA-PATRIOT ACT supporter as a "take the war to them, using the rules of war" supporter.  Extending drug-war provisions to cover terrorism cases was not particularly impressive, IMO.  However, if there is evidence I was a PATRIOT ACT puffer, I am more than ready to make my mea culpas.

The thing is, "the lesser of two evils" argument is usually true.  More suck is worse than less suck.  It is not, however, very satisfying.  Especially when there is not much chance to get someone who is a net positive for liberty into office.

Oh, and yes, DHS/TSA needs to DIAF.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 12:52:33 PM »

I was never ok with the Patriot act  [tinfoil]

I was furious with Minetta for not requiring all pilots to be armed 9-12-2001, and disgusted with GWB for not firing that Clintonista  :mad:

Given the information known/disseminated at the time, I was ok with the initial Afghan operation.

I was dubious about Iraq-2003  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 01:07:29 PM »

In the 2004 Iowa Caucus I tried to get a plank added to the county platform to abolish the Patriot Act and Dept of Homeland Security. Everyone looked at me like I was nuts.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

rcnixon

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:06 PM »
It's an old story.  Which bothers me even more. Why were the news agencies not trumpeting this from every available corner?

Because they are the organs of state propaganda.

R

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 03:50:59 PM »
Patriot Act need to be gone. IIRC it was written under Clinton
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 04:32:26 PM »

Gee, what happened? Kosovo and the embassy bombings weren't big enough to cram it through congress? Or was congress still shellshocked from the AWB attrition rate?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 04:42:42 PM »
Gee, what happened? Kosovo and the embassy bombings weren't big enough to cram it through congress? Or was congress still shellshocked from the AWB attrition rate?

Indeed. 9/11 was certainly a critical lubricant facilitating this particular pounding, but it seems naive to suggest we wouldn't be a good distance down this road regardless.

FTR, my native skepticism on the Patriot Act was seduced by the apparent unity and sense of purpose post-9/11, a wool cloak for the wolf known as "never let a crisis go to waste". Human nature wins out again...
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 04:54:02 PM »

I remember that.  R.s shot down a proposal for a DHS, as sounding "too Nazi".
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 08:49:04 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2012, 06:51:34 PM »
 :facepalm: It's only to restrain the dark, bearded terrorists that hate us for our Freedoms silly. It's for YOUR safety. Are you against SAFETY? Do you HATE America? Maybe you should go on the no-fly list.

I'm a patriot USA!!!! USA!!!! USA!!!!
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
if your not for us your against us!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2012, 07:29:30 PM »

Written in 1995.

Biden claimed it as his baby.
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 07:40:00 PM »
does anyone remember what the vote looked like when it was passed.  how many for/against/absent?
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2012, 07:45:59 PM »
does anyone remember what the vote looked like when it was passed.  how many for/against/absent?

http://educate-yourself.org/cn/patriotact20012006senatevote.shtml

AZRedhawk44

• friends
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2012, 09:00:36 PM »
It was so non-controversial in '06 that Obama actually voted something other than "Present".

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2012, 12:48:55 AM »
you guys got mad at me for saying patriot act was OK under Bush, meaning we needed to keep on electing R's....I guess you guys were right, as usual. :lol:
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 10:48:05 AM »
. . .  I was furious with Minetta for not requiring all pilots to be armed 9-12-2001, and disgusted with GWB for not firing that Clintonista  :mad: . . . 
Don't forget that mere weeks before 9/11, it was Minetta who issued a directive specifically prohibiting extra scrutiny of Middle Easterners at airport security checkpoints. And GWB still wouldn't fire that <expletive deleted>.  :mad:
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
Don't forget that mere weeks before 9/11, it was Minetta who issued a directive specifically prohibiting extra scrutiny of Middle Easterners at airport security checkpoints. And GWB still wouldn't fire that <expletive deleted>.  :mad:

It really makes you wonder sometimes ...   [tinfoil]
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin