Author Topic: ressurecting the 9mm vs. .45acp debate one more time  (Read 1977 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
ressurecting the 9mm vs. .45acp debate one more time
« on: October 16, 2012, 09:59:19 AM »
http://tinyurl.com/9deb6wx

Lord, the discussions going around since this hit the intrawebz!

All sorts of pronouncements from folks who have not bothered to read the whole way through, and better yet have no experience to back up their assertions.

All I have to say is that tip-up barrels that are threaded are one of $diety's gifts.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: ressurecting the 9mm vs. .45acp debate one more time
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 10:29:09 AM »
My only problem with that article is that the author is suggesting a reasonable compromise where no compromise is necessary.  The same argument could be applied to any one of the 9x19mm sub-compacts on the market today.  The limit of 200 rounds is particularly specious.  The only thing that matters is how many rounds you have on you when you need to shoot.  One should be far past the practice phase long before the confluence of circumstances forces conservation.

As for the .22lr, I have no doubts about its lethality under the right circumstances.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 10:51:49 AM »
He describes circumstances I don't ever anticipate being in.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:56 AM »
Read the article.

Shooting out streetlights down the block and creating a traffic jam behind you to foil pursuit by shooting out tires? Good shooting with anything, let alone a .22 pocket pistol.

A .22 is not my first - or even second or third - choice for personal protection, but as someone else pointed out, the difference between bare hands and a .22 is a whole lot more than the difference between a .22 and a .45.

Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 10:56:06 AM »
He describes circumstances I don't ever anticipate being in.

Me too, but honestly I wouldn't mind having a little Beretta Bobcat or Taurus PT-22 that I could stash away. There's always room for another .22.  And if I ever buy another flyweight revolver it would probably be something like the LCR in 22, Just Because.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 11:06:19 AM »
He has resurrected my desire for a little Phoenix Arms .22, with the interchangeable length barrels.

Of course, hearing about the Twisted Industries .22 conversion for the PF-9, I may go that direction instead.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 11:13:37 AM »
Of course, hearing about the Twisted Industries .22 conversion for the PF-9, I may go that direction instead.

I had no idea such a device existed.  I may have to keep an eye out for a cheap PF9.

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
I had no idea such a device existed.  I may have to keep an eye out for a cheap PF9.

Chris

I didn't know either until I read the comments in the bottom of the linked OP article.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:51:37 AM »
I've carried a .22 semi-auto on and off for years and have never felt to be underarmed.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2012, 01:12:22 PM »
He has resurrected my desire for a little Phoenix Arms .22, with the interchangeable length barrels.

I got one of those. After surgery to remove the stupid safety interlock it's actually not a bad little gun.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2012, 01:53:59 PM »
Me too, but honestly I wouldn't mind having a little Beretta Bobcat or Taurus PT-22 that I could stash away.

Oh, absolutely.

My bro's PT-22 is a POS ("POS", right click, add to dictionary), but I suspect it's a magazine problem, and he's never sprung for another one.  I've wanted one to tinker with for a while.  It's not badly made, in the way a Jennings .22 is (as in, the Taurus won't have parts break and fall off in normal use.).

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:12 PM »
I had a friend with one of those a few years ago.  The safety stopped working after a few months and the gun itself never performed well or reliably.  Would not recommend.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 04:34:00 PM »
Odd.

My Taurus PT-22, or TP-22, has been 100% reliable in every way in over 2,500 rounds of Winchester Wildcat ammunition.

I was getting failures to fire first strike with CCI Blazer ammo, which I suspect was from harder or thicker brass.

The solution was simple.

Break out the Wildcat.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
I always wished Keltec would have made a .22 LR version of their P32/P3AT. Even just in simple blow-back guise. It would have sold like hotcakes.

Although I suppose I should be glad they don't have yet one more thing in their lineup I can never find, and they're perpetually running behind on...

PMR-30, KSG, RFB, and probably the RMR-30 too.
I promise not to duck.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
Aj, I wanted one too. 

Chris

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 06:48:32 PM »
My PT-22 NEVER worked with standard .22lr.  Stoke it with the high velocity ammo of choice and it works reliably.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 07:36:07 PM »
Pop pop pop pop... OK, so I don't really like shooting .22, as years of incicent popping on the 3P ranges kinda wore me out on the round.

However, if someone decides to hand me a little pocket pistol in that caliber, I wouldn't say no.
In terms of versitility, .22 LR can run an entire gamit of usefulness. They're will likely be a new AR-7 around here in the next few months, since a small .22 rifle is useful for everything from eliminating vermin to aquiring small game to SD in a pinch.
Same goes for the pocket pistol. It wouldn't be my first choice for SD, but it can't hurt to have one around.
It doesn't break the bank to feed, either. The only real downside, I'd say, is the fact you can't reload rimfires. But it's cheap, plentyful, and easy to store, so who cares.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

ArfinGreebly

• Level Three Geek
  • friend
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »

[-snip-]

In terms of versatility, .22 LR can run an entire gamut of usefulness. There will likely be a new AR-7 around here in the next few months, since a small .22 rifle is useful for everything from eliminating vermin to acquiring small game to SD in a pinch.

[-snip-]

If durability is important, you may want to consider the Marlin P70SS Papoose instead.  It would seem to be somewhat more robust than the AR-7 pattern.  It's also very light and comes with its own carry bag.  Default magazine is 7 rounds, but Marlin makes another semi-auto in .22 that's magazine compatible and whose 10-round mag fits the Papoose.  I carry one in the truck with both 7-round and 10-round mags.

(Of course, now that Ruger has a take-down version of the 10/22, I have to go look at those, too.)
"Look at it this way. If America frightens you, feel free to live somewhere else. There are plenty of other countries that don't suffer from excessive liberty. America is where the Liberty is. Liberty is not certified safe."

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2012, 08:29:53 PM »
If durability is important, you may want to consider the Marlin P70SS Papoose instead.  It would seem to be somewhat more robust than the AR-7 pattern.  It's also very light and comes with its own carry bag.  Default magazine is 7 rounds, but Marlin makes another semi-auto in .22 that's magazine compatible and whose 10-round mag fits the Papoose.  I carry one in the truck with both 7-round and 10-round mags.

(Of course, now that Ruger has a take-down version of the 10/22, I have to go look at those, too.)

I will check it out, but the AR 7 has a bit of ... sentimental value around here, complete with it's own title. It was my first gun. I can't remember what happened to it, but the thought of getting another has come up recently.  =)
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

lee n. field

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2012, 09:31:38 PM »
They're will likely be a new AR-7 around here in the next few months,

I had the Charter Arms version decades ago.  Did not have real good luck with it.  Jammed a lot.  Perhaps the Henry is better.

Now, a buddy of mine got Ruger's new takedown 10/22.  That seems nice.

I can't remember what happened to it, but the thought of getting another has come up recently.  smiley

I do remember what happened to mine.  I traded it for a 720K floppy drive.  The value was comparable at the time.  Afterward I promised myself I would never trade a gun for computer hardware again.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2012, 09:33:02 PM »
I had the Charter Arms version decades ago.  Did not have real good luck with it.  Jammed a lot.  Perhaps the Henry is better.

Now, a buddy of mine got Ruger's new takedown 10/22.  That seems nice.

We had the Charter Arms, too. It wasn't a jam o matic, but we put high violoicty rounds.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
Back in the 80's, I bought a stainless Walther TPH.  As long as I feed it standard velocity rounds, it works great.  It, and my Seecamp .25 are the smallest guns I own, and I bought them for their ability to fit and ride in an inside suit coat pocket.  Last ditch weapons, but I can carry them in formal and business settings where social or business circumstances preclude any larger carry.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2012, 05:44:04 PM »
Had a lot of .22's over the years. My fav. Was a Colt Huntman, and for rifles, the Win.9422. Had a really nice New Frontier single action with a .22 mag cylinder, I traded the semi for it because it got too boringly accurate-i was fishing and logging out on the Olympic Peninsula and was buying .22 by the case-we could shoot almost anywhere back in those days. on the rivers, up in the clearcuts, etc. It was a fun time and place. Back when Forks was a logging town and not a tourist trap for teenage vampire wannabes. 

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 08:00:52 AM »
I liked that article enough that I shared it on FB....it really got me thinking.

The older & wiser I get, the more I start liking the  .22lr. In fact, I recommend new shooters looking for a HD gun get a 10/22 with 25rd mags & Velocitors. That combo can do significant damage at home/apartment distances with minimal recoil. Plus, 10/22's are just so stinking fun to shoot...it makes new shooters out of anyone. And most pistol ranges will let you shoot  .22lr rifles. This logic also works for mid-size pistols like the SR-22 and SP-101.

I've relied on a  .22lr revolver as a travel gun more times than I can count. And my new LCR purchase may end up being a  .22lr. In that size/weight class, a 8rd .22lr makes more sense from a recoil & practice perspective. And my wife can handle a  .22lr snub better than a  .38Spl snub.

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 08:24:45 AM »
If things went full retard, I wouldn't hesitate to put the 10/22 into use. 

That said, I've always thought if you're going to go mouse gun, why not the 22WMR instead?

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”